Why do most people hate TouchWiz?

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Why does almost everyone dislike TouchWiz? I'm just really really curious...

Ok, i'm new with the android. Only been using my phone for like a week. I've read some threads about launcher etc and i'm seeing many comments saying "I hate touchwiz etc etc." And i'm just wondering, why does so many people dislike TouchWiz? I mean for me because i'm a Nokia > BB > iPhone 2 years user. So i don't see what to dislike about it. From the point of view of the people who dislike the TouchWiz. What are the things you don't like about it?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why does almost everyone dislike TouchWiz? I'm just really really curious...

I still can't figure out what all the hate is about either.

I have no issues at all while using TW day to day. The phone does exactly what I need plus a lot more and I'm more than happy with it.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why does almost everyone dislike TouchWiz? I'm just really really curious...

People who tend to consider themselves "purists" dislike it. They dislike it because of the bloatware that comes along with it and some just don't like the look of it and it cause delays in software updates. It's kind of a love hate thing with it and HTC Sense. I also prefer stock Android but I don't hate any of the skins per se but I do prefer one over the other due to the features that they can provided. I think the general consumer don't really care at all. They don't know much about touchwiz vs Sense vs stock.... they just see a phone and use it to see if they like it. I'd bet most don't even know that HTC and Samsun phones are both running Android with different skins. They probably think they are completely different systems due to the skins changing the look and features. I mean I can understand why people don't like it but I can understand why people do. It's a lot of bloat, changes the look, adds stuff that most people won't use but by the same token, it add fuctionality that's useful to a lot of people, make things simplier than stock Android, and provides differentiation.

In my opinion Android needs skins like Sense and Touchwiz because stock Android is way too plain and stock apps suck compared to iOS stock apps and everyone doesn't like to go searching for the best apps to replace stock and have a phone full of redundancy. Honestly, I think Android would not be where it is today without what Samsung and HTC add to their devices. But I think that touchwiz and sense can be too obtrusive at times and provides stuff that isn't necessary. I think many wouldn't mind if it wasn't so deeply integrated into the system which makes things more difficult to modify. If it was something you could just turn off then people wouldn't care as much. Again, it's a love/hate thing.

quarlow

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I can't understand the hate either. Anytime I ask for specifics I get "it's ugly". When I ask specifically what is ugly I get no response. Mostly I think it's because of how cool it is to hate on the mainstream top dog.

Personally I like the emphasis on the green. I find the tron blue highlights in stock 4+ to be cold and sterile. TouchWiz feels more organic to me. While I would like to see TouchWiz adopt more holo type theming, I find it preferable as-is compared to AOSP, sense, LG, or Motos skins.

It's funny how people always want what they can't have. If samsung ababdoned TouchWiz and went into a full on holo theme skin just as many people would complain and say it was better before. The Internet is a good breeding ground for hipsters. Look at the HTC First. Ever since the Galaxy Nexus the majority of comments on sites like Engadget and The Verge are that the world needs an HTC built flagship running stock android with a sub 4.5" screen. When that was done everyone hates it, and it is discontinued in it's first month. Maybe Steve was right ... the market has no idea what it really wants, other than wanting what isn't available.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It's bring compared to other Android UIs like stock or sense. In that context it's kinda cartoon like and hasn't been updated visually since gingerbread. Prior to the s4 there was also a perception of added bloat and lag. The last seems to be mostly gone, but the bloat is still there. In terms of functionality its pretty decent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

It's bring compared to other Android UIs like stock or sense. In that context it's kinda cartoon like and hasn't been updated visually since gingerbread. Prior to the s4 there was also a perception of added bloat and lag. The last seems to be mostly gone, but the bloat is still there. In terms of functionality its pretty decent.

Ohh, so different launchers can max out the performance of the phone? In terms of performance, is nova launcher better than touchwiz?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Ohh, so different launchers can max out the performance of the phone? In terms of performance, is nova launcher better than touchwiz?

TouchWiz isn't a launcher, it's closer to correct to think of it as a ROM or it's own OS. Nova launcher will change the appearance of the device and let you add some UI functionality, but by itself it doesn't change anything about the device and all of the TouchWiz features (s-voice, smart stay, etc) all still work. Without making any other changes, Nova Launcher will not add any performance to your device; all changes would be cosmetic.

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site

I actually love touch wiz. I started out with a Blackberry then moved to an HTC with their Sense interface and to me touch wiz outshines both. I love the many features it offers!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I actually love touch wiz. I started out with a Blackberry then moved to an HTC with their Sense interface and to me touch wiz outshines both. I love the many features it offers!

Millions of people agree! There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with it, it's all about what people want. And one of the best things about Android, is there are launchers and apps that let you make your device look however you want it to.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site

I thought TouchWiz sucked on the original Verizon Galaxy, which I had. But in the few years since, it has greatly improved. I'm siked to get my S4 in July and play around with it.

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I see, thank you for clearing things out! :)
TouchWiz isn't a launcher, it's closer to correct to think of it as a ROM or it's own OS. Nova launcher will change the appearance of the device and let you add some UI functionality, but by itself it doesn't change anything about the device and all of the TouchWiz features (s-voice, smart stay, etc) all still work. Without making any other changes, Nova Launcher will not add any performance to your device; all changes would be cosmetic.

Totally agree! <3

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I just hate the bloat. I personally know how to get rid of it but my dad, for example, will leave stuff like that on his phone without knowing any better and complain about it.

Omer San Gabriel

May 10, 2013
Visit site

I just hate the bloat. I personally know how to get rid of it but my dad, for example, will leave stuff like that on his phone without knowing any better and complain about it.

What does "Bloat" exactly mean? not familiar with the terminologies yet. New to droid, you you'll understand. :))

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

What does "Bloat" exactly mean? not familiar with the terminologies yet. New to droid, you you'll understand. :))
Unnecessary apps, settings, or features that seem unnecessary or unintuitive is how I perceive bloat.

Things like Smart Scroll I would consider bloat. That is probably the most useless feature I've seen to date (doesn't work on other browsers, doesn't work consistently, I wouldn't even use it if hands dirty, etc). I know Samsung has app suggestions, but they put things like BaconReader on a homepage. That shortcut is something you can uninstall.

But then again, TW does have some great feature that I don't want to go away like scrolling widgets, the whole notification experience, etc.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

I look at bloat as APPs that are added by the manufactures and the phone companies. You can't uninstall bloatware unless you are rooted. If you need to know what rooted means do a Google search.
I don't feel software features like smart scroll are bloat since they can be turned of and once off will have no impact on you phones performance.

Mattix724

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Yes, Touchwiz can be very ugly. Anything prior to JB is a good example of how ugly it was. However, since the S3 was released with the Nature UX theme and Samsung continued using that theme in JB, the skin is starting to look a whole lot more attractive/appealing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GB333

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I've only ever owned HTC phones, so once I get my S4 (Verizon) I'll find out if it truly is different and if I love or hate it (or more likely just don't care).

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site

Touchwiz is pretty good, but you are confined to a certain amount of desktop real estate. NovaLauncher and other GUI replacements allow virtually complete customization down to the desktop icon grid, desktop margin size, icon size, taskbar icon density, scroll effects, etc., etc. If you don't care about your desktop and enjoy using Android as is, then Touchwiz is pretty darn nice. I personally have quite a few apps, weather and forecast, volume sliders and txt messaging viewer all on my primary desktop page. Can't do that with Touchwiz. :)

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

I use Nova now anyway so I can have the features of TW while having the awesome experience of Vanilla

txtoast

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site

Yes, Touchwiz can be very ugly. Anything prior to JB is a good example of how ugly it was. However, since the S3 was released with the Nature UX theme and Samsung continued using that theme in JB, the skin is starting to look a whole lot more attractive/appealing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
What about it is ugly?? I know that's subjective but I just always wonder what that means specifically to some people.

I've had a Galaxy S 1 and 2, a GNex and now the Galaxy S4. I've also had and HTC Legend and Inspire. So I've had experiences with Sense Touchwiz and stock and i dont have an issue with either. And I still don't understand the why people rag on TW it so much