Looking for Tablet Advice

GoldenEagle06

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey All,

Currently I own a Sony Tablet S, or S1 as it's sometimes referred to. Have had it for just about 2 years now. Still runs pretty good and I love the fact that it has a full sd card slot in it. Generally I use it for watching movies off the SD card, browsing the web, using tapatalk, and then some small games every now and then. There are some things about it that I don't particularly like. I don't like that the charger is a propitiatory piece when using a microUSB would be much easier and more convenient. I don't like that it does not have the smart on/off feature when using a case. Finally I don't like that it can't be rooted or pushed to anything newer than release 4.0.3 r5a. I never got in to rooting before I found out that the r5a update locked the bootloader and now I am stuck.

Being that I don't use the tablet for anything too extensive I have been playing around with my wife's Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I like the screen, the size, and it seems to be responsive enough to use for the things I would need. While it does not recognize sd cards I could still load movies on it before I travel and watch them off the internal storage. I know it does not have the Google PlayStore on it, but sounds like it can be easily rooted to grant access to it. I also am a Prime member so being able to stream right to that would be beneficial too. I have tried loading the APK on my devices and it wont' work.

So my question to all of you, is would you grab the Kindle Fire HD or newer device, root it and be on your way? Have any of you done this? Any downside to doing so?

chowdog13

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest the 2013 Nexus 7 32gb. I've owned the 2012 Nexus 7
for almost a year and its certainly one of the best purchases I've ever made. I previously owned an iPad 2 and I find the 7" form factor much better. I don't think twice about taking it with me wherever I go. The 32gb should give you plenty of room for videos plus its running stock android so your free to do what you like with your tablet. This makes rooting much easier. Also you can't beat the price of $279.

Hope this helps! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

clubbem

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a 1st gen Nexus 7, iPad 3 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I find that I have been using the Note 8 more because of the size. Things are a little easier to see on the 8 inch screen vs the 7 inch. And of course, you have the S Pen on the Note which I love.

Posted via Android Central App

GoldenEagle06

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a 1st gen Nexus 7, iPad 3 and a Samsung Galaxy Note 8. I find that I have been using the Note 8 more because of the size. Things are a little easier to see on the 8 inch screen vs the 7 inch. And of course, you have the S Pen on the Note which I love.

Posted via Android Central App

The note 8 is one I have my eye on as well. Ever watch any movies on it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa