Note 3 or S4 from an iPhone 5, help please

academy

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I have been browsing these forums for a few months now deciding whether to jump from iOS. I now know I want to but can't decide between the note 3 or the s4. The poor battery is one of the main reasons for leaving iPhone and I have read that the note 3 battery life is awesome but with the s4 there seems to be more and more threads popping up about poor battery life. Is the S4 better than iPhone in any of your experience?

Also, the size of the note 3, I have played about with one I store and as surprised as it didn't seem as big as I expected but due to the holder it was in I couldn't try and fit it in my jeans, I don't want to buy something that's going to be too easy for a thief to grab from my back pocket when I'm In a pub or at the football.

However, I'm a sucker for gadgets and love all the features of the note 3 so am swaying towards that more, any advice?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong place

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It all comes down to personal preference and how you use the device. Because the Note 3 is so big, I would suggest using it in person to see how you like the large size. Either device won't disappoint, in my opinion.

Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I have been browsing these forums for a few months now deciding whether to jump from iOS. I now know I want to but can't decide between the note 3 or the s4. The poor battery is one of the main reasons for leaving iPhone and I have read that the note 3 battery life is awesome but with the s4 there seems to be more and more threads popping up about poor battery life. Is the S4 better than iPhone in any of your experience?

Also, the size of the note 3, I have played about with one I store and as surprised as it didn't seem as big as I expected but due to the holder it was in I couldn't try and fit it in my jeans, I don't want to buy something that's going to be too easy for a thief to grab from my back pocket when I'm In a pub or at the football.

However, I'm a sucker for gadgets and love all the features of the note 3 so am swaying towards that more, any advice?

Welcome to Android Central :)
The S4's battery is amazing from my experience
Screenshot_2013-10-04-08-58-53.jpg
Screenshot_2013-10-04-08-59-02.jpg
I use it on about a third of the way on brightness so it could be less if you use it at higher brightness but still a lot better than any iPhone :p
The Note 3 does have better battery life though, I've seen people get almost 7 hours of screen time on one charge at about 40% brightness. About the jeans thing, it depends on what kind you use, I use Levi's "regular" fit and I can put the Galaxy Tab 8.9 in my pocket so the Note 3 would be no problem for me, but if you use skinny jeans it might be harder.
Also, the S4 has basically the same features as the Note 3 aside from the S-Pen features and USB 3.0 which allows for faster charging. It doesn't have compatibility with the Galaxy Gear yet but it is coming in a software update very soon :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
Every user is different. Carriers, apps, settings, preferences can all make a difference.
I agree with Magnus to hold the Note. You may or may not like the size jump.

academy

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far, I may see if they will let me try it a "pocket" test in the store but I'm thinking maybe the s4 will be the better option, thanks again

academy

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have just bought the note 3!!

Already I'm thinking should I have got the S4!! So indecisive I drove the wife mad in the shop!

Right so as I complete android noob what should I download to transfer all my contacts from my iPhone? I read somewhere about google contacts? If I put this on my iPad and iPhone first, load contacts into there and then download the same app to the note would that work? I've read a lot about avoiding kies?

andyr3ad

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I have had Iphones since 2009 and the most recent being the iphone 5 on a 12 month contract which ended about 2 weeks ago and after much debating about jumping ship and moving over to android I did with the note 3 and believe it's the best decision I could have made mainly because I'm gadget crazy and can't believe how much more u can do with an android phone ie customisation is incredible you could pick up 2 people note 3's and other than the outside look of the phone the rest could be completely different which is what I like as we all know even with ios7 the iPhone hasn't really changed much since the original and already I'm enjoying the bigger screen and expandable memory and although the note weighs more it feels lighter due to how the weight is distributed across the handset also I use my phone non stop and always had my iPhone plugged in to me charger where as the note lasts me all day and I still have about 30% battery life left. I've not used the s pen a great deal but when I have it has come in handy ie scrapbook. Remember the s4 is several months old now and the s5 could be here as early as January if you believe resent rumours so I would say the note 3 is more future proof at the moment I've also had no problems putting it in my jeans pocket but that said I suppose it depends on the style of jeans. Good luck

Posted via Android Central App

academy

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Cheers mate, completely put my mind at ease. I too am gadget crazy and up until I see the note 3 I was set on the S4 which is what made me so indecisive I think. All I was worried about really was having it nicked out if my back pocket whilst at the football! But after trying it in store I don't think it will be too bad

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I would get a stocked Android device. I have the GS4 and a Nexus 7 (2013) and my GS4 with touchwiz just seem like fake to a stock Android device. Wait and see what the new Nexus phone will have....

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I would get a stocked Android device. I have the GS4 and a Nexus 7 (2013) and my GS4 with touchwiz just seem like fake to a stock Android device. Wait and see what the new Nexus phone will have....

He is choosing between Note 3 and S4, I did not see him mention any nexus devices or ask about vanilla and TW...

Galaxy Note 8.0

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

You could get the TouchWiz version and root it, that way if you don't like Stock Android, you can go back

Posted via Android Central App

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Stick with the note 3. U can export you contacts directly from icloud to the Google account you are using on your device. And welcome to the infinite world of Android :)

Sent from my SPH-L710

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1