Android Smartphones question..

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
hey everyone,
I am not currently a Android User. Currently have a BB Z10 user and love it.. but starting to look into whats out there as far as android devices in case BB goes and I need to switch. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 from work and I think its a great tablet. Like it a lot more than my wife's iPad.

Just to start by saying I am not here to discuss BB is great or not, Android rules or Apple sucks. just looking for info. Thanks

what current Android devices are somewhat guaranteed to "always" or for a long time receive the latest Android OS update? I know the Google Nexus 4 is popular as well as the Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4.

I was looking at the Moto X and the HTC One/One X but I know HTC has some financial issues.

Basically looking for something with of course internal storage (minimum 16gb) with the ability to put in a Micro SD (64gb). LTE, front/rear camera. something similar size to the BB Z10 as that's perfect size for my hands.

Let me know if you have any questions to narrow stuff down and I'll try to answer best I can.

Thanks

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
the Nexus 5 should be launched in the next couple weeks and it will be the phone that gets OS updates for the longest time since it is the pure "Google Phone". it is rumored to offer a 16GB and 32GB version. if you can live with 32GB that's the device to get. Internal storage is much faster and more secure than SD cards so don't get too caught up with SD cards. the Nexus is the phone to get IMO. best phone, best value, buy it direct from Google.

good luck!

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-appears-clearest-leak-yet-gets-full-hands

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
the Nexus 5 should be launched in the next couple weeks and it will be the phone that gets OS updates for the longest time since it is the pure "Google Phone". it is rumored to offer a 16GB and 32GB version. if you can live with 32GB that's the device to get. Internal storage is much faster and more secure than SD cards so don't get too caught up with SD cards. the Nexus is the phone to get IMO. best phone, best value, buy it direct from Google.

good luck!

Nexus 5 appears in clearest leak yet, gets the full hands on | Android Central
Thanks Gekko for the info. I did think about the Nexus devices.. but honestly, I really would like to have the ability to have expandable memory. Unless I can get the phone in a 64GB flavor, then I really would want to be able to add the extra storage as I carry alot of music and pics with me.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Well the Note 3 is my #2 choice. If there was no Nexus, i would get the Note. That big beautiful display is amazing. And it has SD card and Samsung quality/support. And powerful hardware.

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Well the Note 3 is my #2 choice. If there was no Nexus, i would get the Note. That big beautiful display is amazing. And it has SD card and Samsung quality/support. And powerful hardware.

thanks. But what about the Galaxy S3 and S4. Do they have a good length of life before stopping to receive updates?

Not sure if the S2 is getting the latest Android or not.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks. But what about the Galaxy S3 and S4. Do they have a good length of life before stopping to receive updates?

Not sure if the S2 is getting the latest Android or not.

S3 is almost 2 years old. Support for it is going to fade. Android v.4.4 for it is questionable. The S4 is a better bet as it is newer.
Now, if you decide to flash ROMs, way I said about the s3 is null and void.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
S3 is almost 2 years old. Support for it is going to fade. Android v.4.4 for it is questionable. The S4 is a better bet as it is newer.
Now, if you decide to flash ROMs, way I said about the s3 is null and void.

thanks for the info. How do you like your Moto X?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I spent the last four months using the HTC one as my primary device. I also spent a few weeks here and there on an s4 gpe. Spent some time with the lg g2 and Now my primary device Is the moto x, however I do pop my Sim into the one quite frequently.

When venturing into the world of android there are a few things to consider.

First... What is your primary use for the phone? That may sound stupid, but do you enjoy watching a lot of videos, or gaming even? Are you interested in a 4 to 5 inch display or something larger ? Does build quality matter?

Number one media consumption device, most pixel dense display, best build quality: HTC one.

The above with a vanilla android experience = HTC one gpe

Simplicity close to that of vanilla android + some really unique features and a great build quality and amazing ergonomic design & incredible battery life = Moto X

Best camera + latest specs = Lg g2

Largest display while still maintaining the latest specs , added s pen features, Specs to the max = note 3

Having used the HTC one, s4, moto x, lg g2 & four days with the note 3 , my favorites are as follows.

1. HTC one tied with Moto X = great devices for different reasons.

2. Lg g2 for its camera and specs, a gpe edition would be nice, even with a new nexus coming out.

Now the next two phones that are of interest to me are the upcoming second generation Nexus phone, and the second generation HTC one.

My quick input.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the info. How do you like your Moto X?

I love it. Surrendered my S3 for it, and that has been the only major downside. Everything else is just getting accustomed to a different form of doing things. Mainly no SD card. Otherwise I was on an AOSP ROM before so it wasn't a shock.

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
many thanks for the info everyone. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Nexus 5 as it seems like Google May be coming out with a 64GB version. If not, then I may check out the Samsung Galaxy stuff and the HTC (provided they dont end up gone)

Cheers

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
many thanks for the info everyone. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Nexus 5 as it seems like Google May be coming out with a 64GB version. If not, then I may check out the Samsung Galaxy stuff and the HTC (provided they dont end up gone)

Cheers

I highly doubt they release a 64gb nexus. 16 & 32gb variants are much more probable ... I wouldn't count on there being a 64gb nexus.

That said, do you really need that much local storage on your cell ?

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I highly doubt they release a 64gb nexus. 16 & 32gb variants are much more probable ... I wouldn't count on there being a 64gb nexus.

That said, do you really need that much local storage on your cell ?

right now on my BB Z10 i have internal 16GB, after installing some apps and games, I am left with between 8 or 9GB. I have a 64GB microSD to store all my pics, music and videos on there. Right now, I have about 22GB of that being used. and trust me, I listen to my music in the car all the time. I never bring a CD anymore.

Thanks

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
right now on my BB Z10 i have internal 16GB, after installing some apps and games, I am left with between 8 or 9GB. I have a 64GB microSD to store all my pics, music and videos on there. Right now, I have about 22GB of that being used. and trust me, I listen to my music in the car all the time. I never bring a CD anymore.

Thanks

As for music, you can stream from Play Music so long as you have a data connection, and if you listen a lot, a high data plan would be a good idea.

The thing to always keep in mind: Android no longer supports SD cards. As they keep moving away from it, devices will stop adding the feature. SD cards have been known to create errors while the OS is running.

Shoot for a 32, and be mindful of what goes on the phone.

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
As for music, you can stream from Play Music so long as you have a data connection, and if you listen a lot, a high data plan would be a good idea.

The thing to always keep in mind: Android no longer supports SD cards. As they keep moving away from it, devices will stop adding the feature. SD cards have been known to create errors while the OS is running.

Shoot for a 32, and be mindful of what goes on the phone.

I only have a 5GB data plan. I work for the Government, so I am able to get their Voice/Data Plans at a major discount for my personal use, but of course I can only get what the service provider offers to them at the time. So streaming isnt much of an option. I've tried streaming things like Slacker Radio on my Z10 it ate through data.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I only have a 5GB data plan. I work for the Government, so I am able to get their Voice/Data Plans at a major discount for my personal use, but of course I can only get what the service provider offers to them at the time. So streaming isnt much of an option. I've tried streaming things like Slacker Radio on my Z10 it ate through data.

Fair enough. I am trimming my music down to songs that I really like on my phone, and everything else can be streamed if I want.

Overall, I am not saying don't get a Samsung. They are very good devices. Just be advised I have seen SD card related issues lately.

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough. I am trimming my music down to songs that I really like on my phone, and everything else can be streamed if I want.

Overall, I am not saying don't get a Samsung. They are very good devices. Just be advised I have seen SD card related issues lately.

thanks Golddriver97. I'll check out couple of those Android devices over the next couple of months and see which suits me best if I can no longer use my BB Z10.

Thanks

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
If you want an SD card you are pretty much limited to Samsung.
I like having an SD card slot as well. I've never had an error on any of my Android phones using an SD card. I would rather have my music on my phone so I can use whichever media player app I want. I also like having videos on my phone because I don't always have a good enough connection to stream video.

Noted via tapatalk

Bash_Man

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If you want an SD card you are pretty much limited to Samsung.
I like having an SD card slot as well. I've never had an error on any of my Android phones using an SD card. I would rather have my music on my phone so I can use whichever media player app I want. I also like having videos on my phone because I don't always have a good enough connection to stream video.

Noted via tapatalk
thanks. What about the Mini version of the Galaxy Phones? I dont see alot of people buying them as much as the 5" version.

skibnik

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
You may want to consider the Sony Xperia Z it has 16gb of internal memory and can handle a 32gb mini sd card. + has integrated sony walkman player and store. The build quality is great its water proof to three feet. and the screen quality is fantastic 1080p I bought one for my Brother as I use a Z10 myself only gripe I have about it its just a little too wide for my tastes I almost dropped it a few times trying to use it one handed. lol

Chanlion

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I kind of in the same ship as you are. I primary my Z10 and since an Android was going to be a secondary phone for me, I chose something cheap.
I believe at the 320$ mark outright. So I went with a Nexus 4. Most of everything is on my BB10: Music, apps, communication. And on my N4, I just keep some apps I'm too lazy to sideload and game choices.

I would wait for the Nexus 5. I won't ditch my Z10 any time soon though. Or personal other choice would be a Xperia Z because, waterproof.
As for size, I don't think any of the flagships feels "right" in your hands. Nexus 4 is a little bigger than Z10 and feels slightly fragile because of the uber thin plastic? back.