Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stop with the giant phones

I'm so tired of giant phones I can't comfortably use with 1 hand. The HTC one is my favorite phone but it's too big then they make a mini but lower the specs. I don't want an iPhone.

Will android ever make a 4.3-4.5 inch top of the line phone? I'm getting annoyed with these giant phones

Sent from my HTC One
    Thanked by:
    ctowne 
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default Re: Stop with the giant phones

Go big or go home is the old saying
    ..jk

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Linh321 and NexusNick123 like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Oh golly jee wilikers. I had a 4 inch screen in hand the other day sans 5s......what a horrid experience that was.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    petaf and DS1331 like this.

Global Posts
    8,955 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

That's why they make "mini" versions . Keep in mind that manufacturers design for the masses. Right now there is a demand for larger devices and that's what they are making.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    DS1331 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I guess I'm not big on watching movies an videos on my cell phones that's why I could careless about the 5" screens though

Sent from my HTC One

The S4 mini is 4.3" phone and seems pretty good. Its kind of hard to squeeze top end hardware into a small shell and still have awesome battery life. Most people want thin and high powered, so have to make it large side to side.

My Nexus 4 is the perfect size I'm finding. As were my other 4.7" phones. My iPhone 4 was too small, could never go back now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yeah I was thinking about buying a s4 from amazon but it makes me nervous because of the specs. I would love to get a nexus 5 but even they are going 5 inch now. I think the perfect size would be 4.5 and I don't think I've even seen a 4.5 ever

Sent from my HTC One

The market disagrees.
    cg101 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I don't give a [deleted by moderator] about the market I'm talking about me and what I want. I understand people want giant phones cause all they do is watch videos and YouTube and play games but I need a decent size phone I can use for emailing and work and some news apps and can use with one hand comfortably

Sent from my HTC One

I have a Droid X...4.3", like new I could make you a great deal. Everyone laughed at me when I first got it because it was so large.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    Carrotbottom, A895 and DS1331 like this.

I am with the LG Nexus 4 it's a 4.7 in and I believe that is the sweet spot for size. I cannot go back to the 3.5 inches phones anymore, at least a 4.0 or 4.3 because I am sick and tired of squinting to read messages or typing with an on screen keyboard. Once you've gone to the bigger screens going back to a standard smaller is a pain to get used to again. I was using a fellow co-worker's iPhone 4 and it was a nightmare staring down that screen and trying to type.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't necessarily agree that bigger is better. Personally I like the smaller (4-4.5 inch) screen size. I've never had an iPhone but I am tempted simply because I prefer a phone I can operate with one hand. My GNex is about as large of a screen as I want to go with.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    DS1331 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    The market disagrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    I guess I'm not big on watching movies an videos on my cell phones that's why I could careless about the 5" screens though

Sent from my HTC One
    I disagree also honestly. I miss the size of my Gnex and plan on getting either the one or the note 2 or 3. I gotta website that has countless movies so I watch from my phone daily.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 now Free

Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't give a **** about the market I'm talking about me and what I want. I understand people want giant phones cause all they do is watch videos and YouTube and play games but I need a decent size phone I can use for emailing and work and some news apps and can use with one hand comfortably

Sent from my HTC One
    Then, go get an iPhone and stop yer yappin'!! /sarcasm

On a serious note, I understand how you feel. I used to be a big proponent of bigger-screened handsets, but now I could honestly care less. As long as the phone provides a great experience, then screen size shouldn't keep increasing just for the sake of increasing. With that said, I am a fan of the Xperia Z Ultra, even though I don't plan to purchase one.

Also, I believe, the next Nexus device is rumored to be the same size as (or smaller than) the current Nexus 4. Here's to hoping that 2014 brings you (and others like you) more choices, brother.
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
    Thanked by:
    DS1331 
    DS1331 likes this.

I don't give a [] about the market I'm talking about me and what I want. I understand people want giant phones cause all they do is watch videos and YouTube and play games but I need a decent size phone I can use for emailing and work and some news apps and can use with one hand comfortably

Sent from my HTC One
    Chill out bro why u mad lol. That the beauty of android its plenty of good mid size phones available just get one.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 now Free
    Jron954 and DS1331 like this.

Get a Moto X. Don't make any assumptions about it based on the specs.
    Thanked by 4:
    srkmagnus, bd1212, Ry and 7 others like this.

Global Posts
    429 Global Posts

Nokia do top of the line phones in the sizes you want. 920, 925, 1020 are all in the 4.5" region.

Global Posts
    8,955 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Get a Moto X. Don't make any assumptions about it based on the specs.
    Agreed. I've read nothing but good things about the Moto X from people who own it. On paper, it's not all that to rave about. How the device performs on the other hand, is a completely different story.
    Ry and gazoo2010 like this.

I don't give a **** about the market I'm talking about me and what I want. I understand people want giant phones cause all they do is watch videos and YouTube and play games but I need a decent size phone I can use for emailing and work and some news apps and can use with one hand comfortably

Sent from my HTC One
    i had an OG EVO way back in early 2010. 4.3" display. i heard a lot of crying back then too from people who were outraged at the size - they were used to antiquated tiny screens. today 4.3" is considered small. it's all about perspective. and as displays get larger - bezels and weight and thickness get smaller. didn't you just come over from a tiny antiquated Blackberry display? some of us are ahead of the curve. you're behind it.

The S4 is smaller than the one with a 5 inch screen. That's what smaller bezels do for you. A 5 inch phone with small bezels is still pretty manageable for most people to use it one handed.

Just because you're whining about what you want, no one cares, especially them. Like someone else said, the market disagrees and that's what OEMs care about, the market.
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

... I need a decent size phone I can use for emailing and work and some news apps and can use with one hand comfortably
    If that's all you really need then who cares about the specs, the Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC Mini, Samsung S4, mini should suffice. It's not to like they put crap hardware on those phones just not the top specs.

Hell I was able to do all those activities on my single core Vibrant. I went with the Note because I wanted a bigger screen it's easier to read, write emails and type on.

Global Posts
    6,386 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

I'm so tired of giant phones I can't comfortably use with 1 hand. The HTC one is my favorite phone but it's too big then they make a mini but lower the specs. I don't want an iPhone.

Will android ever make a 4.3-4.5 inch top of the line phone? I'm getting annoyed with these giant phones

Sent from my HTC One
    Get a moto x. A lot of people love that phone and say the size it's just right.

I love my Galaxy S4 but agree that all the "mini" versions should have top of the line hardware too!

Well, good luck. :thumbup:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    DS1331 likes this.

The Sony Xperia Z1 f (aka Z1 mini) is what a mini phone should be, full specs that truly rival the bigger brother, completely crushes all other mini phones and is a phone that the masses would want. Hope the other phone makers are paying attention. Mini doesn't mean a phone with last year's specs

Posted via a SkyRocket running LiquidSmooth 3.0
    STARGATE and DS1331 like this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Hmm I'll have to look into the z1 mini. Thanks for the feedback. I love my blackberry q10 but wish it was android. That droid pro back in the day seems like it would have been bad ***

Sent from my HTC One
    MERCDROID likes this.

Hmm I'll have to look into the z1 mini. Thanks for the feedback. I love my blackberry q10 but wish it was android. That droid pro back in the day seems like it would have been bad ***

Sent from my HTC One
    No love for the Moto X? Many people who have used it along with the other top phones on the market say that it's just as fast if not faster. Maybe not in benchmarks, but in actual usage.

Honestly, I hear you with the phones getting too big. When I went on vacation earlier this year, I was frustrated because I couldn't fit my phone in my pocket for easy transportation. As a result, I was forced to hold it in my hand. I like to use my phone with one hand, and for people like me who have small hands, these massive phones are just too big.

Posted via Android Central App
    bd1212 and DS1331 like this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast