Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By worknman
  • 1 Post By Aquila
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 1 Post By abazigal
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    worknman's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Surely, I can't be the only Android user on the planet who wants to silence notifications and phone calls when sleeping, but still allow a couple of people to ring through? This would be especially handy when I'm on call for work. This is one area where iOS has an advantage. Even Cyanogenmod, which allows you to set 'quiet hours' doesn't give you any control over who is allowed to call you during this time.

    I know there are several DND apps in the play store... I tried one, and the auto-text responder worked about half the time, and the phone would still light up when I'd get a non-whitelisted call (not cool in a dark room). Not sure if any of the others work any better.....

    IMO, this is something that should've been there since v1 of the OS, but it still is mysteriously absent. I guess none of the Android devs have ever had to work shift work and/or sleep during the day.
    Pauley likes this.
  2. #2  
    Aquila's Avatar
    AC Gonfaloniere

    Posts
    13,853 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    I know that a hardware accessory (alarm clock I think) that was recently reviewed had an app that accomplished this and it worked well, but if I recall right it is a kickstarter and not for sale yet. Moto's sleep mode doesn't allow anyone through, but I kinda agree this would be a great feature to have just baked into Android so that third parties and OEM's don't have to try to figure it out.
    UJ95x likes this.
  3. #3  
    Euan Tan's Avatar

    Posts
    200 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    My Lg G2 has a "Quiet Mode" which blocks calls and puts phone into silent and messages will not turn on screen... but it also allows me to set certain contacts to be able to call me and auto reply to blocked calls with a re-made message...

    But Yeah, Android in general should have this feature.
  4. #4  
    thekarens's Avatar

    Posts
    610 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    There's a couple apps that do that. I've got my phone set that only my family rings through at night.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    worknman's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    There's a couple apps that do that. I've got my phone set that only my family rings through at night.
    Just curious... which app do you use?
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    14,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,562 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I know that a hardware accessory (alarm clock I think) that was recently reviewed had an app that accomplished this and it worked well, but if I recall right it is a kickstarter and not for sale yet. Moto's sleep mode doesn't allow anyone through, but I kinda agree this would be a great feature to have just baked into Android so that third parties and OEM's don't have to try to figure it out.
    On the X, favorites can get through. If someone calls twice within five minutes, they'll get through too.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Aquila likes this.
  7. #7  
    Aquila's Avatar
    AC Gonfaloniere

    Posts
    13,853 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,094 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    On the X, favorites can get through. If someone calls twice within five minutes, they'll get through too.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Didn't know that, thanks!

    XT1060. Through spacetime.
  8. #8  
    abazigal's Avatar

    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    346 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Doesn't tasker do that for you?
    CR6 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    worknman's Avatar

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    Doesn't tasker do that for you?
    Probably, if you have time to learn how to use it :P I think somebody else said it was 'hit or miss'.
  10. #10  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    14,523 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,562 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Didn't know that, thanks!

    XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Not built into Android though.
  11. #11  
    garublador's Avatar

    Posts
    1,135 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Yes, I find it very strange. It seems like it should be one of the core functions of any phone.
  12. #12  
    robinhelenehebert's Avatar

    Posts
    452 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Blocking mode works

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    Greggorr's Avatar

    Posts
    3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    I have found that blocking mode does this. It showed up after the 4.3 update on my vzw gs4.

    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  
    garublador's Avatar

    Posts
    1,135 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greggorr View Post
    I have found that blocking mode does this. It showed up after the 4.3 update on my vzw gs4.

    Posted via Android Central App
    IIRC, Blocking Mode is a TouchWiz feature, not a feature built into Android.
  15. #15  
    gone down south's Avatar

    Posts
    2,010 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    I my OS to be as lean as possible - if you want specific functionality go ahead and install it, but I'd rather stuff like that didn't clutter up my system.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
  16. #16  
    The Hustleman's Avatar

    Posts
    1,289 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,346 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by worknman View Post
    Surely, I can't be the only Android user on the planet who wants to silence notifications and phone calls when sleeping, but still allow a couple of people to ring through? This would be especially handy when I'm on call for work. This is one area where iOS has an advantage. Even Cyanogenmod, which allows you to set 'quiet hours' doesn't give you any control over who is allowed to call you during this time.

    I know there are several DND apps in the play store... I tried one, and the auto-text responder worked about half the time, and the phone would still light up when I'd get a non-whitelisted call (not cool in a dark room). Not sure if any of the others work any better.....

    IMO, this is something that should've been there since v1 of the OS, but it still is mysteriously absent. I guess none of the Android devs have ever had to work shift work and/or sleep during the day.
    Just use blocking mode, it works like a charm
  17. #17  
    croaker68's Avatar

    Posts
    92 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    I use Do Not Disturb me. Works well, and is free.
  18. #18  
    DenverRalphy's Avatar

    Posts
    729 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,312 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Just use blocking mode, it works like a charm
    The OP may not have a Samsung device.

    SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
  19. #19  
    TeknoBug's Avatar

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

    *cough* Moto Assist.

Similar Threads

  1. One thing that's bugging me...
    By cjohn4043 in forum Android 4.4 KitKat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 04:26 AM
  2. Samsung Galaxy S4 IS STILL "Not Registered on Network"
    By raegrace in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 01:54 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 01:36 AM
  4. Headphone issue, have to reboot
    By sludgepuppy in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2013, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

";