Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By worknman
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By abazigal
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

Surely, I can't be the only Android user on the planet who wants to silence notifications and phone calls when sleeping, but still allow a couple of people to ring through? This would be especially handy when I'm on call for work. This is one area where iOS has an advantage. Even Cyanogenmod, which allows you to set 'quiet hours' doesn't give you any control over who is allowed to call you during this time.

I know there are several DND apps in the play store... I tried one, and the auto-text responder worked about half the time, and the phone would still light up when I'd get a non-whitelisted call (not cool in a dark room). Not sure if any of the others work any better.....

IMO, this is something that should've been there since v1 of the OS, but it still is mysteriously absent. I guess none of the Android devs have ever had to work shift work and/or sleep during the day.
    Pauley likes this.

Global Posts
    5,711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

I know that a hardware accessory (alarm clock I think) that was recently reviewed had an app that accomplished this and it worked well, but if I recall right it is a kickstarter and not for sale yet. Moto's sleep mode doesn't allow anyone through, but I kinda agree this would be a great feature to have just baked into Android so that third parties and OEM's don't have to try to figure it out.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

UJ95x likes this.

Default Re: Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

My Lg G2 has a "Quiet Mode" which blocks calls and puts phone into silent and messages will not turn on screen... but it also allows me to set certain contacts to be able to call me and auto reply to blocked calls with a re-made message...

But Yeah, Android in general should have this feature.

There's a couple apps that do that. I've got my phone set that only my family rings through at night.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    There's a couple apps that do that. I've got my phone set that only my family rings through at night.
    Just curious... which app do you use?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I know that a hardware accessory (alarm clock I think) that was recently reviewed had an app that accomplished this and it worked well, but if I recall right it is a kickstarter and not for sale yet. Moto's sleep mode doesn't allow anyone through, but I kinda agree this would be a great feature to have just baked into Android so that third parties and OEM's don't have to try to figure it out.
    On the X, favorites can get through. If someone calls twice within five minutes, they'll get through too.

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    5,711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    On the X, favorites can get through. If someone calls twice within five minutes, they'll get through too.

Didn't know that, thanks!

XT1060. Through spacetime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Doesn't tasker do that for you?
    CR6 likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by abazigal View Post
    Doesn't tasker do that for you?
    Probably, if you have time to learn how to use it :P I think somebody else said it was 'hit or miss'.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,174 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Didn't know that, thanks!

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Not built into Android though.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Yes, I find it very strange. It seems like it should be one of the core functions of any phone.

Blocking mode works

I have found that blocking mode does this. It showed up after the 4.3 update on my vzw gs4.

Quote Originally Posted by Greggorr View Post
    I have found that blocking mode does this. It showed up after the 4.3 update on my vzw gs4.

IIRC, Blocking Mode is a TouchWiz feature, not a feature built into Android.

I my OS to be as lean as possible - if you want specific functionality go ahead and install it, but I'd rather stuff like that didn't clutter up my system.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by worknman View Post
    Surely, I can't be the only Android user on the planet who wants to silence notifications and phone calls when sleeping, but still allow a couple of people to ring through? This would be especially handy when I'm on call for work. This is one area where iOS has an advantage. Even Cyanogenmod, which allows you to set 'quiet hours' doesn't give you any control over who is allowed to call you during this time.

I know there are several DND apps in the play store... I tried one, and the auto-text responder worked about half the time, and the phone would still light up when I'd get a non-whitelisted call (not cool in a dark room). Not sure if any of the others work any better.....

IMO, this is something that should've been there since v1 of the OS, but it still is mysteriously absent. I guess none of the Android devs have ever had to work shift work and/or sleep during the day.
    Just use blocking mode, it works like a charm

I use Do Not Disturb me. Works well, and is free.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Just use blocking mode, it works like a charm
    The OP may not have a Samsung device.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    "Some see the glass as half-empty, some see the glass as half-full. I see the glass as too big."
    - George Carlin

*cough* Moto Assist.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)