Coming back to Android

tonyeezy

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It's been a little while now since I have been in the Android scene and would like some help with my next phone choice. Past phones I've had to start, were the original Moto Droid, HTC Incredible, and the Galaxy Nexus. Having the Galaxy Nexus I was always used to having such a huge developer scene and loved it. I get my phones to root them and play with the software 24/7.

Right now I am on Verizon and was really hoping for the Nexus 5 obviously but now without that being an option I'm kind of unsure what to choose. I am thinking the LG G2 right now for a couple obvious reasons, somewhat similar to the Nexus 5 and better battery life and camera. I'm not too sure how I will like the buttons on the back though. I played with a demo model which was secured to the stand so couldn't really palm the phone too much but first impressions Android has come such a long way since the Gnex (disappointment for me, battery life, fluidity, etc) everything was very smooth even with LG's skin on top of it and 4.2 (would go AOSP and 4.4 hopefully).

Can someone fill me in on how the development is for that phone versus other phones? Having the Galaxy Nexus I had a choice of almost anything I wanted (ROMS, kernels, mods). I really liked that although I guess if I have AOKP/Cyanogenmod you're really fine. I also noticed in a few sections I haven't been seeing any kernel threads, does the G2 have any custom kernels for it?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It's been a little while now since I have been in the Android scene and would like some help with my next phone choice. Past phones I've had to start, were the original Moto Droid, HTC Incredible, and the Galaxy Nexus. Having the Galaxy Nexus I was always used to having such a huge developer scene and loved it. I get my phones to root them and play with the software 24/7.

Right now I am on Verizon and was really hoping for the Nexus 5 obviously but now without that being an option I'm kind of unsure what to choose. I am thinking the LG G2 right now for a couple obvious reasons, somewhat similar to the Nexus 5 and better battery life and camera. I'm not too sure how I will like the buttons on the back though. I played with a demo model which was secured to the stand so couldn't really palm the phone too much but first impressions Android has come such a long way since the Gnex (disappointment for me, battery life, fluidity, etc) everything was very smooth even with LG's skin on top of it and 4.2 (would go AOSP and 4.4 hopefully).

Can someone fill me in on how the development is for that phone versus other phones? Having the Galaxy Nexus I had a choice of almost anything I wanted (ROMS, kernels, mods). I really liked that although I guess if I have AOKP/Cyanogenmod you're really fine. I also noticed in a few sections I haven't been seeing any kernel threads, does the G2 have any custom kernels for it?

Welcome to the forums.
The G2 is still relatively new that there may not be that much out for it yet. And since Verizon loves to lock down their devices, it may be hard to say how much will get developed for it. The Moto X has no code for unlocking the bootloader for Verizon.

However, the G2 does seem to be a beast, and is skinned, but from what I understand, not as much as Samsung or HTC. If that is the phone you think you want, go for it.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
As of right now there are few developments for the G2 and thats understandable because its just recently released. However, they do have some custom roms in beta and some mods to improve camera and sounds, and remove on screen button... Still needs more time. Havent heard of any Kernels yet.
However as for buttons on the back. It doesnt really bother me at all, actually its quite helpful since my fingers rests on the power button and it easier to turn the sounds down/up. Knock on feature is your savoir, probably knock on like 100x vs the 2x i press the power button in a day. Overall, I say that the buttons on the back shouldnt sway your decision from this beast. The battery life is amazing. The screen is just a wowzaa and it is fluid and havent experienced any lag. I did put a new launcher since I don't like the UI (prefer stock android look) The Camera will blow you away! ..Great phone to buy right now...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX