What's the best older android phones for my 12 yr olds?

emscapt47

Trusted Member
Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get my two boys android phones for Christmas but I don't wanna spend a ton (less than $60 a piece) I'm looking for a samsung if possible so any and all ideas would be great!! Thanks

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
$60 a piece off contract? You have to raise your budget significantly in order to get even a low end Android device. If you're okay with tablets, you could spend $130 each on cheap tablets. If you can't raise your budget, just buy them video games or something.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to get my two boys android phones for Christmas but I don't wanna spend a ton (less than $60 a piece) I'm looking for a samsung if possible so any and all ideas would be great!! Thanks

What network?

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
the original galaxy s might fit the bill. i picked up a used one in very good shape off ebay for about 50 bucks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree I would keep it very simple for starter phones for children of that age. They can enjoy much of what we do today even on older devices like the mentioned Galaxy S. They were updated to Gingerbread ( Android 2.3.x ).

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Kids these days, they're not even teens yet and they have smart phones lol. My nephews are not even 3 years old and they have their own tablets. Now I'm on the other side of that "when I was a kid" speech. :p

Anyway, I guess that would depend on if you want something new or used. You can find quite a few new prepaid android phones at Radio Shack, best buy and even target. For used, eBay might be the way to go. Like someone said, the galaxy s, though now there are quite a few cheaper new phones. Since you need two, you might want to look at getting new lower end prepaid ones.

Motorola DROID Maxx

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're okay with used, you could probably pick up a Galaxy S (the AT&T variant was called the Captivate IIRC). Though, finding two in decent condition may be difficult at this point in the game. Straight Talk offers the ZTE Vallet for $80 and it has 4.1 on it, so that wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Realistically, you are looking at between $40-$80 each at the low end. You can always get some free deals if you sign up for a contract, but I think that'd be a bad idea. For my kids I would want them on pay as you go at first. Assuming you are asking about AT&T as that is your carrier. They do offer a parental controls service. It is $5/mo but could be well worth it to make sure your kids aren't spending to much.

AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Wireless Parental Controls

I really like carriers like StraightTalk (really TracFone but a Wally World exclusive branding) and Walmart Family Mobile because you can bring your own phone to the carrier. (Disclaimer: I work for Walmart) This way you could start out on lower end phones and maybe if the kids do well with them or save up their money for a better phone (or whatever) you can have the talk about getting a nicer device and trusting them more on their own while at the same time not having a headache about overage charges.

To meet your price goals though, you're looking at adding some contract phones (even midrange phones can sometimes be had for free, which is great! Watch for holiday specials this year) or shopping around. Hit eBay and Craigslist as well.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

I have a friend who recently did this and regretted it immediately. Cheap phones suck, period. He bought a phone for his 11 year old daughter and she couldn't do anything with it. She liked the phone, but it lagged really bad and it wasn't productive. I think it was the galaxy s2 oddly enough. In the end he gave up and bought her a moto x. I know cheap is easier but trust me it's a bad idea. From experience, I would recommend buying them decent phones (maybe an iPhone 4 or 4s, they work well for kids) and having them on your contract. You'll get a much better deal than off contact if you just put them on your account

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a friend who recently did this and regretted it immediately. Cheap phones suck, period. He bought a phone for his 11 year old daughter and she couldn't do anything with it. She liked the phone, but it lagged really bad and it wasn't productive. I think it was the galaxy s2 oddly enough. In the end he gave up and bought her a moto x. I know cheap is easier but trust me it's a bad idea. From experience, I would recommend buying them decent phones (maybe an iPhone 4 or 4s, they work well for kids) and having them on your contract. You'll get a much better deal than off contact if you just put them on your account

If looking for something new, the Moto G might be a good fit.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
If looking for something new, the Moto G might be a good fit.

Not really, it looks like an underpowered phone (not to mention cheap) . You'd be better off buying a nexus 4 on eBay for 200.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not really, it looks like an underpowered phone (not to mention cheap) . You'd be better off buying a nexus 4 on eBay for 200.

Prefaced by "something new". Nexus 4s would likely be used.

Have you used the Moto X? Based on what I've seen so far from Moto X, I fully expect the Moto G to perform better than it's class. It'll probably get better battery life than the Nexus 4 too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12