Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Default What Phone to Get / Is Coming - High End "Smaller" Smart Phone

So I am in the market to switch providers and switch phones.

I want a high-end smartphone but I don't want one of these stupid 5 inch behemoths. I want a "smaller" smart phone. Something like the HTC One Mini or similar but one that doesn't compromise on specs. Is anything out now that fits this bill? Anything rumored to be coming soon? I thought I heard Sony would be releasing a smaller Xperia line phone that was high end?

This will be my first Android device so I'm a rookie and appreciate any thoughts/advice the group may have.

Global Posts
    25,286 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Default Re: What Phone to Get / Is Coming - High End "Smaller" Smart Phone

Quote Originally Posted by hondaf17 View Post
    So I am in the market to switch providers and switch phones.

I want a high-end smartphone but I don't want one of these stupid 5 inch behemoths. I want a "smaller" smart phone. Something like the HTC One Mini or similar but one that doesn't compromise on specs. Is anything out now that fits this bill? Anything rumored to be coming soon? I thought I heard Sony would be releasing a smaller Xperia line phone that was high end?

This will be my first Android device so I'm a rookie and appreciate any thoughts/advice the group may have.
    Welcome to the forums.
    What carrier are you going to? Sometimes that dictates what phones you can get.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Welcome to the forums.
    What carrier are you going to? Sometimes that dictates what phones you can get.
    I'm currently Verizon but may switch to ATT. So, either Verizon or ATT would work for me.

Global Posts
    25,286 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Quote Originally Posted by hondaf17 View Post
    I'm currently Verizon but may switch to ATT. So, either Verizon or ATT would work for me.
    I love the Moto X. Screen size measures at 4.7" but it doesn't feel that big. My S3 was 4.8 but the phone's bezel (Margin of space around the screen) was quite large. I think AT&T has a few Sony devices, and the Nexus 5 is out, so you could try that. It is a larger phone though, but you would not have to worry about updates.

AT&T Moto X has the Moto maker, which means you can special order a unique exterior for your phone. I believe AT&T also has the only 32 GB internal memory for the X, something I would urge you to consider.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Thanked by:

I would have to agree with the list golf has provided. I believe the only small form factor phones available compromise on specs due to sizing and spacing of parts.

Sent from Xperia Note
    Thanked by:

The Sony event for the rumored smaller Xperia is Nov. 12. It supposed ot be nearly identical in specs to the Xperia Z1 (with a smaller, 720p screen). Whether or not it will come to a US carrier is another question entirely.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    101 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    The Sony event for the rumored smaller Xperia is Nov. 12. It supposed ot be nearly identical in specs to the Xperia Z1 (with a smaller, 720p screen). Whether or not it will come to a US carrier is another question entirely.
    Any news from that press event today? I've been searching online and haven't found anything. This seems like the phone I want if rumored specs are true and it comes to the US market.

There are so many I have the Nexus 5 4.95 in screen really does not feel like it in your hands but if that is to big you can go with HTC one Mini or GS4 Mini. But let me tell you I was a iPhone user and thought I would not like big screens now I can't live with out it. I look at small screens now and laugh. I won't go bigger than a 5in well at least for a phone..
    MacBookPro, iPad, iPod. My go to device are Nexus5 and Nexus 7(2013).

I like my Droid Maxx. It's got a nice big screen and a big battery. Very good reception. The calls come in crystal clear.