PSA - Warning - LTE speedtests use a lot of data

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I've used as much data in one day as I normally use in a month. I was perplexed by this at first, but then I noticed that each speedtest I was doing was using about 10 MB of data. I've done about 30 LTE speedtests in the past 24 hours which equates to about 300 MB of data consumption. Apparently, it has to download a large file in order to run the download and upload tests.

Warning - LTE speedtests use a lot of data | iPhone and iPad Forums at everythingiCafe

Sooo Lte came to my city around midnight on the 1st... coincidental that was when my monthly plan starts over. So I was running speed test showing like 57Mb/s I ran it about 6 times out of excitement ... huge mistake it used a little over 100MB of my data plan between showing DL and UL speeds smh. You don't notice the small amount of data its consuming when its only running 3.4Mb/s for 5 seconds each time but 57 is a huge diff. Just be forewarned lol. That's valuable data I could have saved. So I won't be doing much speed test bragging to my friends lol.

[Warning] Speed Test Eats Data - xda-developers

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't know which app they're using, but that's definitely NOT how a speed test is supposed to happen. A GOOD app should send a fixed-size file (usually stated in the app's description so you know in advance what kind of data you'll be using per test) regardless of network speed. The calculations are based on the time the file download/upload began and the time it is complete, not how much data your phone can upload/download in a certain amount of time. Now, the guy running 30 speed tests in a day, what did he expect?! Using only 1MB of data? Come on!

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know which app they're using, but that's definitely NOT how a speed test is supposed to happen. A GOOD app should send a fixed-size file (usually stated in the app's description so you know in advance what kind of data you'll be using per test) regardless of network speed. The calculations are based on the time the file download/upload began and the time it is complete, not how much data your phone can upload/download in a certain amount of time. Now, the guy running 30 speed tests in a day, what did he expect?! Using only 1MB of data? Come on!

well i just found out the hard way and wanted to warn others. i just got the Nexus 5 and switched to AT&T and was curious what kind of LTE speeds i could get. i ran about 12 speed tests and burned through about 400MB! this was with the official Speedtest.net app from the Play Store. i had no idea the app used this much data! needless to say - that app has been deleted!!!

Last edited:

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Missed this thread and started a new one - sorry about that.

5 uses of Speedtest used 271MB for me, so we are talking about 54MB per test. This is not acceptable and I don't even care if you have unlimited data, 54MB to test network speed is just nonsense. And for people who DON'T have unlimited data, they should WARN YOU about the ridiculous data usage in the Play store, and prior to running a test they should tell you the size of the file they are about to send.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non