Can't decide which is best for me (Android or ios)

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Really, I'm struggling to decide if I want to sell my iPhone 5S and go back to Android and buy a nexus 5. I know this is a android forum, but I can't decide what to do.

With Android, I miss my widgets and I think Google is just doing more exciting things right now. Android seems more exciting. And I also like that it I teg rates so well with my Google stuff.

On its, I love the battery life and I do enjoy the lack of needed trouble let hooting and there's a few quality apps I enjoy like Tweebot and there's a kinda feeling that there's a bit more polish In its apps. But of course this is subjective.

I can live without Tweebot though.

The thing is, I'm not a root/jailbreak kind of person. The most I was ever want to tinker with Android is change my keyboard and maybe my launcher.

I'm mainly concern with if it would be a downgrade to go from a iPhone 5S to a nexus 5. And if I'm just going to be disappointed with the nexus 5s battery life vs the iPhone.

What do you guys think? I should also say that since the 5S was done on the att next plan, I'd still have to pay off the iPhone even if I do sell it.

Last edited:

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You're definitely going to be disappointed by the battery life. As for everything else, it's down to your personal preferences.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Well if you switch to the nexus 5 a couple things you miss are :
Camera: the nexus 5s camera is great ish but the 5s is far superior is all I can say
IOS 7: not as customizable as android but hey its pretty smooth I enjoyed browsing on an iPhone than any android ..
As for battery it'll get you through the day... IPhone may have a Lil more but not enough for day 2 on mid to heavy usage

That's prettymuch it.. Things you are getting are that yyou get a bigger screen... Screen quality is pretty good (Phone may have a little edge there).. More customization. Android Kitkat 4.4.
I say that if you want a phone that just works and takes good pictures then iPhone 5s.
If you want a phone that is like an extension of yourself then android (nexus 5) + timely updates and widgets and all of androids glory

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
With Android, I miss my widgets and I think Google is just doing more exciting things right now. Android seems more exciting. And I also like that it I teg rates so well with my Google stuff.
The thing is, I'm not a root/jailbreak kind of person. The most I was ever want to tinker with Android is change my keyboard and maybe my launcher.
This is my stance in Android. Rooting/ROMing is really not necessary. It's nice that is an option but not needed.

The nexus 5 is a top of the line product switching from the 5s to the N5 will not be a downgrade. From some of your concerns it sounds like the phone you would be happy with is the LG G2. You just won't get it at the N5 discount

Personally for me android is the preferred os for me. However you seem to be content with your iPhone and are committed for two years.
If either look into selling the iPhone and apply it to the phone you buy your on a two year contract. Else buy two phones and swap them put as you get tired of one.

Posted via Android Central App

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on the Nexus 5 is not the best, but I have to say one of the best Nexus's Google has the feel and design of t is great. the screen is way better than the iPhone and the size looks big but fits right in your hand. The reason why I left Apple is the OS got to boring. Yes sure they have more apps and more users but I don't need to iMessage that is the same as texting. It is your call of what phone you want. I can tell you from having the Nexus 5 I don't root or do anything I am very happy with my choose I had a GS4 before this and gotta rid for the n5. GOOD LUCK

Really, I'm struggling to decide if I want to sell my iPhone 5S and go back to Android and buy a nexus 5. I know this is a android forum, but I can't decide what to do.

On its, I love the battery life and I do enjoy the lack of needed trouble let hooting and there's a few quality apps I enjoy like Tweebot and there's a kinda feeling that there's a bit more polish In its apps. But of course this is subjective.

I can live without Tweebot though.

I'm mainly concern with if it would be a downgrade to go from a iPhone 5S to a nexus 5. And if I'm just going to be disappointed with the nexus 5s battery life vs the iPhone.

What do you guys think? I should also say that since the 5S was done on the att next plan, I'd still have to pay off the iPhone even if I do sell it.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The battery life on the Nexus 5 is not the best, but I have to say one of the best Nexus's Google has the feel and design of t is great. the screen is way better than the iPhone and the size looks big but fits right in your hand. The reason why I left Apple is the OS got to boring. Yes sure they have more apps and more users but I don't need to iMessage that is the same as texting. It is your call of what phone you want. I can tell you from having the Nexus 5 I don't root or do anything I am very happy with my choose I had a GS4 before this and gotta rid for the n5. GOOD LUCK

The thing is, I use my phone all day, mainly listening to podcasts. I don't know how much the battery will drain while listening to podcasts with the screen off. Most my use seems to be audio like podcasts and music, while I do a fair bit of YouTube watching as well and web browsing.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The thing is, I use my phone all day, mainly listening to podcasts. I don't know how much the battery will drain while listening to podcasts with the screen off. Most my use seems to be audio like podcasts and music, while I do a fair bit of YouTube watching as well and web browsing.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Android 4.4 and the Nexus 5 uses new technology to dramatically improve battery use during audio playback...

(Here it is: KitKat Feature Spotlight: Audio Tunneling To DSP Dramatically Reduces Battery Consumption When Playing Audio )

Back to the original post of this thread: My honest advice is to go with your gut. Neither Android nor iOS can claim to be a perfect experience for everyone. Chances are you've already worked out your pros & cons, and either device is a great choice. Unfortunately, regardless of which you choose, there's bound to be a feature or two (or three) that you'll miss from the other platform. There's no magic response anyone here can give you that will ever completely erase that fact. Obviously, I'll choose Android any day of the week over iOS...but I try to be objective to other people's needs and intended usage when trying to recommend a platform to someone (I'm the kind of person friends/family ask this question to all the time). That's just my 2? on that.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I thought stores like best buy and staples were supposed to carry this phone? At best buy, the sales rep said they only sell it on a two year contract with sprint, and I haven't even seen it at staples. And the play store stick is still lie , and Amazon isn't even selling it, users are.

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes Best But only has it on Sprint for a two year contract every other plan you need to order it. I order mine from the Play store for AT&T I just couldn't wait for it to come in to stores.

I thought stores like best buy and staples were supposed to carry this phone? At best buy, the sales rep said they only sell it on a two year contract with sprint, and I haven't even seen it at staples. And the play store stick is still lie , and Amazon isn't even selling it, users are.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to need to save up to order the phone. If I sell my iPhone, them order the nexus 5, I'll be without a phone for a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non