Best 8" Android tablet?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, what do you all think the best 8" Android tablet is? I'm leaning Dell Venue 8 at the moment. $199 for 32 GB, 1280x800 8" screen, 2 GB of RAM, and a dual core Atom processor. The Note 8 and G-Pad 8.3 are nice too because of their stylus support, but I can't bring myself to spend $350+ on an 8" tablet. The Acer A8 isn't bad for the price, but I think the Venue 8 is worth the premium. The Galaxy Tab 8 has physical buttons (I like on phones, hate on tablets) and TouchWiz, so thats a no go. Is there some obvious contender in the 8" space I am over looking? I really like the 8" form factor and am thinking of getting one, but I really can't decide which one I like.

ldglover

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got mine today in Red. So far it does everything I need it to. Check email, surf web, read books. There are more powerful ones out there with better battery life and maybe better screen, but the Dell VENUE 8 works fine so far..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AC Forums mobile app

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I know you (the OP) stated that the G Pad 8.3 was more than you wanted to spend. HOWEVER, its a really really nice tablet and in its case I think its easily worth the extra money. There are no performance issues, no lag, like I'd come to believe I had to accept with Android tablets. The display is stunning and the unit is so thin and light. Its like holding just a light screen. I've had iPads, the Asus TF700 Transformer, Samsung Note 8s, Note 10.1s, more iPads, Nexus 7s, and some others I've probably forgotten about. The LG GPad 8.3 is finally that experience that I'm finally happy with...and I didn't think I was going to be able to feel that way.

I'd say try it for 10-13 days from Best Buy knowing you can return it for a full refund. I think you'd really be pleasantly surprised at what LG has done here. ...it really is that good.

G2

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol I was actually halfway considering a Galaxy Mega, but at that point I may as well just get a Nexus 7.
I wouldn't get a Mega if you're gonna do anything more than simply browse the internet and read email. The underachieving specs really do show and you feel it.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't get a Mega if you're gonna do anything more than simply browse the internet and read email. The underachieving specs really do show and you feel it.

That really is mostly what I'll use a tablet for. I've got two laptops (a very powerful Asus G75VX and a very portable Chromebook) for doing work, I've got my phone for on the go gaming. Mostly I'm looking for something for surfing the web, reading emails, etc. on the couch and in bed that is bigger than my phone. I'm not sure why, I just really don't like the 7" form factor. I'd rather have 6"ish so I can easily fit it in my pocket or 8" so I can have more screen realestate. 7" seems like a awkward between size to me.d

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That really is mostly what I'll use a tablet for. I've got two laptops (a very powerful Asus G75VX and a very portable Chromebook) for doing work, I've got my phone for on the go gaming. Mostly I'm looking for something for surfing the web, reading emails, etc. on the couch and in bed that is bigger than my phone. I'm not sure why, I just really don't like the 7" form factor. I'd rather have 6"ish so I can easily fit it in my pocket or 8" so I can have more screen realestate. 7" seems like a awkward between size to me.d

I think the G Pad 8.3 should cost you less than the Mega and performance-wise the G Pad is in a whole other universe than the Mega. Unless you really want 6.3? as opposed to 8.3? or you need the Mega?s voice capabilities then the G Pad is the easy recommendation.

Nexuscillin V

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Xperia Z ultra supports pencil recognition, you can use any writing utensil and use it like a S pen.

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Xperia Z ultra supports pencil recognition, you can use any writing utensil and use it like a S pen.

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile

Pencil recognition sound like a wonderful way to scratch your screen! I know with gorilla glass it wouldn't, I just don't think I could bring myself to do it! I'd have to buy a capacitive stylus.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Pencil recognition sound like a wonderful way to scratch your screen! I know with gorilla glass it wouldn't, I just don't think I could bring myself to do it! I'd have to buy a capacitive stylus.

Yeah, I would only use a stylus And that's only after I had a decent screen protector.

G Pad 8.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674