Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Default Tablet wars

Hey guys new to the forums so hi everyone!

Need some buying advice on a 7-8inch tablet.
    I had my heart set on the asus google nexus 7 2013, but after reading the threads on many forums about all the issues and defects,I'm sure everyone is well aware of, this put me completely off!!

The nexus 7 is really great bang for buck and what got me sold was the processing power and the screen res but also the fact it fell into my budget.
    Here in SA the nexus 7 cost about R3800.

Now that the nexus 7 has been removed from the equation I'm left with searching for a tablet within budget so here are the contenders. Google nexus 7 2012 at R2400. Google nexus 10 2012 at R4200 and the samsung galaxy note 8 at R5000.

The note 8 being quite alot more than my initial purchasing price for the n7.
    Now many factors come into play. N10 being a 10inch with an awesome res. The n7 2012 being really cheap but lacking the camera and processing power. The note 8 having 3g and sd card slot as well as s pen features.

I prefer the notes size as I feel the 7 is slightly a bit small and the 10 slightly large. But don't wana over spend if it's not needed.
    Please guide me in the right direction, if this were you what would you do??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,457 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Tablet wars

Welcome to the forums!

I can highly recommend the LG G Pad 8.3. It's a great thin and light yet ridiculously powerful 8.3" tablet. Take a look at the AC review.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Hi haalcyon thank you so much for pointing the LG out it looks and sounds amazing even more so than the nexus 7 I so desperately wanted. The only issue I face is that the lg is not available as yet here in SA and releases sometimes take up to 6 months before they hit our shelves if they ever do. So I cannot purchase the lg locally but if I could I definitely would have it looks incredible!!!!!

Global Posts
    6,457 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Its unfortunate that you don't have access to the G Pad. My next choice would be the Note 8 because its still that really useful size and the S-Pen makes it really usefula and versatile. The screen @ 1280x800 isn't as nice as the higher resolution offerings but its still good.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

That's t only part that I was concerned about was the screen resolution. But I guess u have to compromise. Before I bite the bullet I'll just see how much it will cost to purchase the lg via Amazon or ebay. The only problem is local support and warranty. I'd have none. And also not sure how much I'd pay on import duties but it's a worth while exercise. Thank you so much for you your input! The note 8 it will be of the LG works out too much.

Global Posts
    6,457 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by The_jelly View Post
    That's t only part that I was concerned about was the screen resolution. But I guess u have to compromise. Before I bite the bullet I'll just see how much it will cost to purchase the lg via Amazon or ebay. The only problem is local support and warranty. I'd have none. And also not sure how much I'd pay on import duties but it's a worth while exercise. Thank you so much for you your input! The note 8 it will be of the LG works out too much.

Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Nexuscillin V
    Live long and prosper.

I'm curious, what are these 2013 N7 defects and issues you speak of?

Also after a year the 2012 N7 is still a great tablet.

Posted via Android Central App
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

I say get the Nokia 2520. Way more productive then any tablet on the market. And did I say it's sexy with kick azz specs.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    557 Global Posts

The 2012 Nexus 7 is simply one of the best devices I have ever owned. It is still speedy and responsive and runs everything I throw at it perfectly. If you can get it at a solid discount, you will not be giving yourself a bum deal. Also it is going to be receiving Android 4.4 KitKat so you won't be left in the wind, at least not yet.

I wasn't very interested in the Note 8 due to its high price point until I picked up the Note 3, now I don't think I could live without the spen features! I simply adore handwriting recognition for my word processor and screen write is great for having to make quick notes. I've actually been contemplating replacing my old Nexus 7 with a Note 10.1 because of how much I enjoy the spen. After spending some time with it, I do believe it is worth an additional premium over the Nexus 7.

The biggest flaw of the 2012 N7 is that it has no video out feature which gives it at least one very big limit, namely I can't game on a larger display. That's a shame because I've got a great BT controller for it and it is fun to play on but I'd love to be able to run it on the big screen.

I would be hesitant to recommend the N10 only because it is old now by tablet standards and a new model should be on the horizon, which means the current model ought to receive a nice discount. If you simply must have a 10'' tablet now, it remains a good choice but be prepared to accept that there could be a price cut shortly after you purchase yours.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I'm currently using note 8 myself and their is no doubt that I love the spen so much that I was thinking about upgrading my galaxy s3 to the s4 but the note 3 had gotten my atm with the spen feature.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by too lame to come up with a good username View Post
    I'm curious, what are these 2013 N7 defects and issues you speak of?

Also after a year the 2012 N7 is still a great tablet.

The N7 2013 has had numerous issues such as an un responsive screen, ghost taps and screen misalignment making it extremely difficult to type on and and browse the Internet. There is also a known GPS bug where the GPS freezes and fails to respond. Then the screen is single layer glass and has been know to crack quite easily according to some users.

The ghosting taps and responsiveness of the screen is corrected by plugging the charger in and firmly holding the tablet with both hands some users have posted. This sounds like some sort of a grounding issue and if so no software update will fix it.

But I am sure google as well as asus will come to the party and correct all the issues the n7 is experiencing. At the moment unfortunately no luck yet as people have been rma'ing there units only to receive new ones with the same issue.

Google had launched 2 updates but mixed responses from users as some devices have gotten better whilst others worse.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

And just a quick update on my progress. I managed to find a 23 day old Galaxy note 8 for sale on a local forum here in SA for R2600 which is about $250 I'm guessing. So I have just pulled the trigger and purchased it! I will get it later today or tomorrow morning and will revert with my user experience!! Excited!!

I bought the note 3 for 3 different kids. Added a keyboard from ebay. This 7 inch jewel is proving bullet proof

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minnieusa View Post
    I bought the note 3 for 3 different kids. Added a keyboard from ebay. This 7 inch jewel is proving bullet proof

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Im glad to hear put mind at ease! If kids can't break it then it's safe I'm my books!!! Thumbs up!!

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I'd say get the Note
    Then flash an AOSP ROM. Everyone's happy :thumbup:

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    977 Global Posts

can you explain a bit about the ghost taps? I currently own N7 v2013 and I have yet seen the issues you (or other users) are experiencing. One thing I do notice is that the speakers are kinda mum (dull), not as high pitch as the N10 and my iPhone 5. the sound seems subdue, it sounds like something is covering its speaker, you know what I mean? That's what I do not like about the N7.

what is unresponsive screen? At what scenario would I experience it? and screen misalignment? so far I can browse and internet OK. How should I see screen misalignment? are all these a QC issue (meaning not everyone is affected)? Or a consistent issue across all N7? Maybe we can track down by the manufacturing date of the Nexus.

The N7 2013 has had numerous issues such as an un responsive screen, ghost taps and screen misalignment making it extremely difficult to type on and and browse the Internet. There is also a known GPS bug where the GPS freezes and fails to respond. Then the screen is single layer glass and has been know to crack quite easily according to some users.

The ghosting taps and responsiveness of the screen is corrected by plugging the charger in and firmly holding the tablet with both hands some users have posted. This sounds like some sort of a grounding issue and if so no software update will fix it.

But I am sure google as well as asus will come to the party and correct all the issues the n7 is experiencing. At the moment unfortunately no luck yet as people have been rma'ing there units only to receive new ones with the same issue.

Google had launched 2 updates but mixed responses from users as some devices have gotten better whilst others worse.

I've never had a single one of those problems. A few devices from any manufacturer will have problems, and I doubt the nexus 7 has any more than most other tablets.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

Global Posts
    6,457 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by chadthebuilder View Post
    I've never had a single one of those problems. A few devices from any manufacturer will have problems, and I doubt the nexus 7 has any more than most other tablets.

Posted from the awesome new Nexus 7
    I may just be bad luck and I may just have bad luck but I've gone through no less than 5 '13 Nexus 7's all with touchscreen issues. Now, perhaps I'm semi-dead and my body isn't generating enough of whatever the screen need to register input, who knows? I do know that the 5 samples were not all bought from the same retailer at the same time and that I was not imagining the issue. ...an issue which I've not experienced with any of the other plethora of Android gear I've had my hands on.

G Pad 8.3
    Live long and prosper.

It seems Nexus tablets have these issues when they first come out. I remember when the 2012 Nexus 7 first came out it had the same issues, but they were fixed within a few months. I bought mine in October 2012 and I've had zero issues. Android 4.3 made it a better tablet than it was before and I can only assume KitKat will do the same once it gets rolled out to the 2012 N7.

So, if you still have your heart set on a Nexus 7, but you're afraid of facing screen issues with the 2013 model, maybe you should get a 2012 N7. It's still a wonderful and stable tablet. Just because it doesn't have as high of a screen resolution as the 2013 model, 2GB ram or Snapdragon, doesn't mean it's not a good tablet. I don't plan on getting another Nexus tablet until the 2014 model comes out, and even then I have confidence that my 2012 N7 will still be great.

Also my N7 has been dropped at least 7 times and I've replaced the battery. And it's still as good as knew. (I replaced the battery because li-ion batteries always turn to crap after about a year).

20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Guys a never created this post to bad mouth the nexus 7 at all. The fact of the matter is that there are 1000's of people complaining of the same issues. My aim was to get a tablet this month and my fear was that I'd receive a dud and have endless issues trying to fight to get a new one or a long wait on an update to correct the issues at hand.
    Now I have seen countless reviews and have done extensive research on the nexus 7 and it's an amazing tablet with amazing specs, no one can deny that.

This thread was merely a discussion on what other tablet to purchase as i personally wouldn't want to spend X amount and stand a risk of not being able to use my tablet effectively from day one.

So please don't feel like you have to defend the nexus 7 as iv said previously I know asus and google will attend and correct every issue the N7 is facing. And the n7 will be everyone's 7 inch choice by far!!

I have received my note 8 and I love it!! The screen res as discussed earlier can be improved but it doesn't hinder the device at all! And the added spen functionality is awesome! I also like the slightly larger display makes YouTube amazing and makes my S3 feel tiny!!

Global Posts
    6,457 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Congrats!

Nexuscillin V
    Live long and prosper.

I returned four 2013 nexus 7 tablets, all with serious issues (common, as described). I waited a month and just got one on Amazon last week, with NONE of the issues the first four had, and it was manufactured in September (the rest were manufactured in June and July). The point is, I was pissed, but waited, and am glad I got the Nexus 7. Plus, at $239 for the 32 GB, it's a great deal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Thank you haalcyon!! However u did do a terrible thing when you pointed the LG g pad 8.3 to me. Once this hits SA I might purchase this as it sounds absolutely amazing. There's normally a 6 month delay on launch days between the US and SA so will be early to mid next year. And my girlfriend is already hinting she would like to take ownership of the note 8 if I were to to purchase the LG. So let's see what happens in 2014!

Global Posts
    6,457 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Well, here's to hoping you can get the LG!

Nexuscillin V
    Live long and prosper.