College Setup

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what setup do guys think I should get?

Phone+Tablet+Laptop

Phablet+Laptop

If a phone and tablet, give some suggestions.

If a Phablet, give some suggestions in that as well.

I am going tech shopping for school soon and I want to figure out what I want to get, outside opinions are always welcome.

Posted via Android Central App

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I would get a phone+tablet+laptop.

Your favorite phone or a Note 3 + a Note 8.0 or 10.1 (for lecture note-taking) + a respectable laptop. I think if the budget allows for this combination it'll give you quite a bit of versatility and utility.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would get a phone+tablet+laptop.

Your favorite phone or a Note 3 + a Note 8.0 or 10.1 (for lecture note-taking) + a respectable laptop. I think if the budget allows for this combination it'll give you quite a bit of versatility and utility.

That's sounds expensive.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5 + Samsung 13.3" Ultrabook

I don't know about a nexus. No removable storage, and inconsistent battery life. I need at least all day battery life in a phone and a nexus is not it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That's sounds expensive.

Then trim it to a Note 3 and a low-mid level laptop. You're gonna need a laptop. Phones and tablets can't quite do everything as efficiently as a laptop can quite yet, especially for school, IMO. Taking notes on the Note 3 for lectures is going to get tiring. It's screen, while great, is kinda small for that purpose.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Then trim it to a Note 3 and a low-mid level laptop. You're gonna need a laptop. Phones and tablets can't quite do everything as efficiently as a laptop can quite yet, especially for school, IMO. Taking notes on the Note 3 for lectures is going to get tiring. It's screen, while great, is kinda small for that purpose.

Why would I take notes on a electronic device. There is paper and pens.

kcerica

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
if I had the money I'd get a good phone (like one of the flagship models based on your preferences and what you want in a phone since now a days each one has their own setup or you could say their own Android flavor) and I would get a Samsung galaxy note 10 to go with it, otherwise I'd get a note 3 in place of a phone and a tablet and a laptop would be ideal if you have the need that goes beyond what a tablet or phone can do, a good example for school would be using DVDs that come with your books especially if you're taking any computer class that requires Microsoft Office.

Good luck in school, I'll bet you're excited!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
if I had the money I'd get a good phone (like one of the flagship models based on your preferences and what you want in a phone since now a days each one has their own setup or you could say their own Android flavor) and I would get a Samsung galaxy note 10 to go with it, otherwise I'd get a note 3 in place of a phone and a tablet and a laptop would be ideal if you have the need that goes beyond what a tablet or phone can do, a good example for school would be using DVDs that come with your books especially if you're taking any computer class that requires Microsoft Office.

Good luck in school, I'll bet you're excited!

Galaxy note 10 is way beyond expensive.

kcerica

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about a nexus. No removable storage, and inconsistent battery life. I need at least all day battery life in a phone and a nexus is not it.

Keep in mind most phones since ics besides Samsung phones aren't going to come with a sd slot, that's a huge one for me too. I've read that there are some workarounds so that you can use micro USB flash drives using micro USB otg adapters but I don't know much about it.

Sent from my pretty xparent purple tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For the ability to share and otherwise manipulate your notes. ...and less paper is not a bad thing.

G Pad 8.3

Paper was already made would be a waste not to use it. I'm not much into sharing notes either, I hated having to share notes in high school, then people would get mad at me for not helping them when we were in the same class at the same time, I just happened to pay attention to what the teacher was saying.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind most phones since ics besides Samsung phones aren't going to come with a sd slot, that's a huge one for me too. I've read that there are some workarounds so that you can use micro USB flash drives using micro USB otg adapters but I don't know much about it.

Sent from my pretty xparent purple tapatalk

Looked up USB OTG and microsd card adapters a while ago and its crazy I have to do workarounds for something a phone should come with.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

EauRouge

Trusted Member
Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
With your budget youre STUCK with a Nexus 5, because for school, a laptop is far more important.

Here's my setup, Im a student as well (I also took all my lecture notes with paper and pen).

Phone (BBZ10), Tablet (Nexus 7), Laptop (Macbook).

FYI, I the nexus 7 is the least used of all

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
With your budget youre STUCK with a Nexus 5, because for school, a laptop is far more important.

Here's my setup, Im a student as well (I also took all my lecture notes with paper and pen).

Phone (BBZ10), Tablet (Nexus 7), Laptop (Macbook).

FYI, I the nexus 7 is the least used of all
Back when I was at university in 1989 pen and paper was THE choice I had. At least now you have options.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Unlike everyone saying Nexus 5, I'm going to assume you will be buying your phone on contract like most Americans.

In my opinion, if you aren't interested in using your tablet to take notes (I personally prefer digital notes because I'm less likely to lose them and they are easier for me to keep organized), then there isn't a whole lot of benefit to having a tablet while you are in college, so I'd focus the budget elsewhere.

If you want a phablet, I'd get either a LG G2 or a LG G Pro (if your on AT&T) as both are $100 or less on contract (if you can get a Note II on your carrier for under $100, that is a good option too), which will leave most of your budget for you laptop, which is where you really want to spend it. You don't want a crap computer in college. You want something fast, semi-powerful, reliable, and with a good keyboard. If you are a Mac person, get the best MacBook Air your budget allows (they start at $900 through Apple's college purchase program). If you want Windows, this Asus VivoBook looks like a good value. That combo would fit your $700 price range too. Now, if you manage to save up $1000, I'd spend $200 on a Tegra Note because it is a good little 7" tablet for playing games with the option to take notes on it should you choose. Then spend the remaining $100 to get a slightly better laptop (maybe something with an i7 or 6 GB of RAM) or to get a different phone, like the Note II. Or skip the Tegra Note and get a Note III and a better PC with your $1000.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie