Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default College Setup

I was wondering what setup do guys think I should get?

Phone+Tablet+Laptop

Phablet+Laptop

If a phone and tablet, give some suggestions.

If a Phablet, give some suggestions in that as well.

I am going tech shopping for school soon and I want to figure out what I want to get, outside opinions are always welcome.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: College Setup

I would get a phone+tablet+laptop.

Your favorite phone or a Note 3 + a Note 8.0 or 10.1 (for lecture note-taking) + a respectable laptop. I think if the budget allows for this combination it'll give you quite a bit of versatility and utility.

Nexus 5 + Samsung 13.3" Ultrabook
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I would get a phone+tablet+laptop.

Your favorite phone or a Note 3 + a Note 8.0 or 10.1 (for lecture note-taking) + a respectable laptop. I think if the budget allows for this combination it'll give you quite a bit of versatility and utility.
    That's sounds expensive.

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Nexus 5 + Samsung 13.3" Ultrabook
    I don't know about a nexus. No removable storage, and inconsistent battery life. I need at least all day battery life in a phone and a nexus is not it.

Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    That's sounds expensive.

Then trim it to a Note 3 and a low-mid level laptop. You're gonna need a laptop. Phones and tablets can't quite do everything as efficiently as a laptop can quite yet, especially for school, IMO. Taking notes on the Note 3 for lectures is going to get tiring. It's screen, while great, is kinda small for that purpose.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Then trim it to a Note 3 and a low-mid level laptop. You're gonna need a laptop. Phones and tablets can't quite do everything as efficiently as a laptop can quite yet, especially for school, IMO. Taking notes on the Note 3 for lectures is going to get tiring. It's screen, while great, is kinda small for that purpose.
    Why would I take notes on a electronic device. There is paper and pens.

Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Why would I take notes on a electronic device. There is paper and pens.

For the ability to share and otherwise manipulate your notes. ...and less paper is not a bad thing.

G Pad 8.3

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

if I had the money I'd get a good phone (like one of the flagship models based on your preferences and what you want in a phone since now a days each one has their own setup or you could say their own Android flavor) and I would get a Samsung galaxy note 10 to go with it, otherwise I'd get a note 3 in place of a phone and a tablet and a laptop would be ideal if you have the need that goes beyond what a tablet or phone can do, a good example for school would be using DVDs that come with your books especially if you're taking any computer class that requires Microsoft Office.

Good luck in school, I'll bet you're excited!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by kcerica View Post
    if I had the money I'd get a good phone (like one of the flagship models based on your preferences and what you want in a phone since now a days each one has their own setup or you could say their own Android flavor) and I would get a Samsung galaxy note 10 to go with it, otherwise I'd get a note 3 in place of a phone and a tablet and a laptop would be ideal if you have the need that goes beyond what a tablet or phone can do, a good example for school would be using DVDs that come with your books especially if you're taking any computer class that requires Microsoft Office.

Good luck in school, I'll bet you're excited!
    Galaxy note 10 is way beyond expensive.

Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Maybe you could let us know what kind of budget you're working with.

G Pad 8.3

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I don't know about a nexus. No removable storage, and inconsistent battery life. I need at least all day battery life in a phone and a nexus is not it.

Keep in mind most phones since ics besides Samsung phones aren't going to come with a sd slot, that's a huge one for me too. I've read that there are some workarounds so that you can use micro USB flash drives using micro USB otg adapters but I don't know much about it.

Sent from my pretty xparent purple tapatalk
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

For the ability to share and otherwise manipulate your notes. ...and less paper is not a bad thing.

G Pad 8.3
    Paper was already made would be a waste not to use it. I'm not much into sharing notes either, I hated having to share notes in high school, then people would get mad at me for not helping them when we were in the same class at the same time, I just happened to pay attention to what the teacher was saying.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Maybe you could let us know what kind of budget you're working with.

G Pad 8.3
    Possibly 1K if I continue on my current saving pattern. If not that at sub $700

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by kcerica View Post
    Keep in mind most phones since ics besides Samsung phones aren't going to come with a sd slot, that's a huge one for me too. I've read that there are some workarounds so that you can use micro USB flash drives using micro USB otg adapters but I don't know much about it.

Sent from my pretty xparent purple tapatalk
    Looked up USB OTG and microsd card adapters a while ago and its crazy I have to do workarounds for something a phone should come with.

Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

$1K would get you a Nexus 5 and a laptop decent laptop if you shop carefully. Using OTG and a small micro SD card reader may actually be more convenient than you think. You wouldn't have to open your phone to get at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zek-Samsung-Ga...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

G Pad 8.3
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

$1K would get you a Nexus 5 and a laptop decent laptop if you shop carefully. Using OTG and a small micro SD card reader may actually be more convenient than you think. You wouldn't have to open your phone to get at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Zek-Samsung-Ga...0-20&m1k=vb_ac

G Pad 8.3
    I don't really want the nexus 5 because of that battery.

With your budget youre STUCK with a Nexus 5, because for school, a laptop is far more important.

Here's my setup, Im a student as well (I also took all my lecture notes with paper and pen).

Phone (BBZ10), Tablet (Nexus 7), Laptop (Macbook).

FYI, I the nexus 7 is the least used of all
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,700 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
    With your budget youre STUCK with a Nexus 5, because for school, a laptop is far more important.

Here's my setup, Im a student as well (I also took all my lecture notes with paper and pen).

Back when I was at university in 1989 pen and paper was THE choice I had. At least now you have options.

Unlike everyone saying Nexus 5, I'm going to assume you will be buying your phone on contract like most Americans.

In my opinion, if you aren't interested in using your tablet to take notes (I personally prefer digital notes because I'm less likely to lose them and they are easier for me to keep organized), then there isn't a whole lot of benefit to having a tablet while you are in college, so I'd focus the budget elsewhere.

If you want a phablet, I'd get either a LG G2 or a LG G Pro (if your on AT&T) as both are $100 or less on contract (if you can get a Note II on your carrier for under $100, that is a good option too), which will leave most of your budget for you laptop, which is where you really want to spend it. You don't want a crap computer in college. You want something fast, semi-powerful, reliable, and with a good keyboard. If you are a Mac person, get the best MacBook Air your budget allows (they start at $900 through Apple's college purchase program). If you want Windows, this Asus VivoBook looks like a good value. That combo would fit your $700 price range too. Now, if you manage to save up $1000, I'd spend $200 on a Tegra Note because it is a good little 7" tablet for playing games with the option to take notes on it should you choose. Then spend the remaining $100 to get a slightly better laptop (maybe something with an i7 or 6 GB of RAM) or to get a different phone, like the Note II. Or skip the Tegra Note and get a Note III and a better PC with your $1000.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Unlike everyone saying Nexus 5, I'm going to assume you will be buying your phone on contract like most Americans.

In my opinion, if you aren't interested in using your tablet to take notes (I personally prefer digital notes because I'm less likely to lose them and they are easier for me to keep organized), then there isn't a whole lot of benefit to having a tablet while you are in college, so I'd focus the budget elsewhere.

If you want a phablet, I'd get either a LG G2 or a LG G Pro (if your on AT&T) as both are $100 or less on contract (if you can get a Note II on your carrier for under $100, that is a good option too), which will leave most of your budget for you laptop, which is where you really want to spend it. You don't want a crap computer in college. You want something fast, semi-powerful, reliable, and with a good keyboard. If you are a Mac person, get the best MacBook Air your budget allows (they start at $900 through Apple's college purchase program). If you want Windows, this Asus VivoBook looks like a good value. That combo would fit your $700 price range too. Now, if you manage to save up $1000, I'd spend $200 on a Tegra Note because it is a good little 7" tablet for playing games with the option to take notes on it should you choose. Then spend the remaining $100 to get a slightly better laptop (maybe something with an i7 or 6 GB of RAM) or to get a different phone, like the Note II. Or skip the Tegra Note and get a Note III and a better PC with your $1000.
    For sure, dedinitely and with absolute certainty am not getting a mac. They are very limiting in functionality if I ever want to like move files from my phone to my computer then transfer to a microsd card. (Tried it on an iMac wouldn't work had to use my aunts windows laptop.). I found a laptop for sub $500 that has good user reviews and at least a core i5. That's plenty of power for school.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post

I am not struck with a nexus 5. I'm on Verizon, I should have mentioned that and I want to stay on Verizon so any phone suggestions has to be phones on Verizon. Also, how is the BB Z10? I have been looking at the Q10 as well, I miss using a keyboard. Virtual keyboards suck.

23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Back when I was at university in 1989 pen and paper was THE choice I had. At least now you have options.
    Does not mean they are good options. Not to say any suggestions given are bad just not something I would do personally.

Hey I go to school at a major university here in the U.S. The first 2 things I would recommend are a smart phone and about a 14" laptop. That size is perfect cause you don't want to carry around something big everywhere you go. I have a a 15.6" Asus, it's not bad, but it's the biggest I would ever go. Tablet would be nice ( I have one) but it is not NEEDED like the other two.

I am not struck with a nexus 5. I'm on Verizon, I should have mentioned that and I want to stay on Verizon so any phone suggestions has to be phones on Verizon. Also, how is the BB Z10? I have been looking at the Q10 as well, I miss using a keyboard. Virtual keyboards suck.

All Android fanboyism aside, you really don't want a blackberry right now. The company is circling the drain and likely will not be around in a year, let alone 2 years, to support your device. Developers aren't supporting the platform so the app selection is poor as well. The virtual keyboards on some phones can be quite good. And there are always alternatives like swype or swiftkey. If I were on Verizon, I'd get a Droid Ultral, Droid Maxx, LG G2, Moto X, Note 2, or Note 3 depending on budget and desired features. I'd love me a red Droid Ultra or the massive battery of the Droid Maxx
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast