I disapprove of Google's consolidation of services.

thymaster

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who [inappropriate language removed by moderator] uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I felt vulnerable to Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google [inappropriate language removed by moderator] users out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependable on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

megakony

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I've read everything but I still don't understand the reasons you are so frustrated by what Google is doing. This is what all the companies have been doing for a long time. Today we just see a broader example of that as Internet allowed global expansion. Google will only fall if they aren't gonna be able to keep up with relevant technology to support their infrastructure. Otherwise, I don't see any difference. Youtube is owned by Google since 2006, btw. Once Google starts implanting chips in our brains, that'd be approved by governments of all countries, then I'd start getting worried. Now you can just throw your Nexus in the garbage and get an iPhone...oh, sorry, to activate it you still need an Apple ID. Another evil corporation.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure many of you are aware of the Google+ and YouTube Integration recently that have cause millions of YouTubers around the world to be emotionally angry and frustrated. First of all who [inappropriate language removed by moderator] uses Google+. I have attempted many times to disconnect and delete Google+ from invading my YouTube profile and I've finally given up. This woke me up and made me realize how many of us are becoming dependent of Google's services. I notice my phone contact have been uploaded to Google+ and across their other services. I never gave google+ permission to upload my personal phonebook in the first place. I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone. In light of the recent changes, I felt vulnerable to Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.

Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services. Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google [inappropriate language removed by moderator] users out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependable on Google that there's no turning back. You will fall hard.

LOL. Doesn't want to be dependant on Google so goes to Microsoft. They are no different. They are trying to do the exact same things as Google.

Anyway, most of us on a site like this know exactly what we are giving to Google and that we are dependant on them, but are okay with it because of the value we get from Google and their services. I'm aware that I'm locked in to them and that it has costs. For example, I was due for an upgrade and really wanted a Lumia 1020 but I couldn't bring myself to go to Windows Phone due to the lack of Google Services, so I got a Moto X instead.

If you don't want to be dependent on Google, that is all well and good, but honestly, be aware that any company providing you free services (like Hotmail, Skydrive, Office Online) is trying to get you locked into their ecosystem and be dependent on them. By switching to Microsoft services, you haven't liberated yourself, just chosen a different master.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for consolidating online accounts. I'd rather just have my one Google account sign me in to all of their services rather than having to make a separate account for each one.

What I don't like is when they try to use that to leverage me into using services of theirs I don't care about. They're trying to artificially inflate how much Google+ is used to try to make it seem as if people want to use it. It's like on MSN how they have these "articles" that are just links to Bing searches to try to up their hit count.

stepaul8

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I feel like youtubers are just angry about the comments because they need something to be angry about. That and the fact that they want to stick out. Granted, I don't approve of Google repeatedly trying to get me to put my name on my account. If I'm watching a YouTube video and it might have a swear word or such in it, I dont want my family to track it. I feel like it it has become more complicated and I don't like how Google is forcing Google plus on us. However I don't really mind. I love Google, its mademy life so much easier. I love Google now, I love android, I love YouTube, I love the innovation of Google and all their useful tools. In fact, I wish people used Google plus because it is so visually appealing in my opinion.

Posted via Android Central App

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
By switching to Microsoft services, you haven't liberated yourself, just chosen a different master.

^this. I like G+ and google systems. Apple, Yahoo, Google, Bing/Microsoft, AOL etc all want you to depend on them. It is the way of the interwebs... you can't escape.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm all for consolidating online accounts. I'd rather just have my one Google account sign me in to all of their services rather than having to make a separate account for each one.

What I don't like is when they try to use that to leverage me into using services of theirs I don't care about. They're trying to artificially inflate how much Google+ is used to try to make it seem as if people want to use it. It's like on MSN how they have these "articles" that are just links to Bing searches to try to up their hit count.

The problem with Google + for me is that I don?t know one single person who uses it.

True, most of the people I know use iOS and apart from Search have no interest in any of Google?s other services, social or otherwise, and the Android users I do know have no interest in Google + as like Apple users they?re wedded to Facebook.

I really have no idea where Google +is going but for me it?s a total irrelevance.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I feel that it is aimed to eliminate some of the hate comments from anonymous comments, and give a little more accountability. The sad thing is with any OS you need one of their accounts to sign in. I have used WP, Android, and IOS so your argument just seems like you need something to get mad about, since every OS wants to lock you into their services. Plus MS is no better than google is with this and especially data collection.

mkrenegades

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
ahahaha! google+ integration is annoying but i can deal with it for now. i had a separate youtube account from long long time ago and it merged or became connected with my gmail. now the yt account became a g+ page. i dont mind this because in some ways its still separate. when i sign into yt on the nexus, it gives me the option to either sign in with gm or g+. so all is good.

what pissed me off recently is the integration with google play. (knew about yt and g+ integration before it happened but i didnt stop to consider the other services it will be part of.) i was trying to rate the weather channel app and realized i couldnt. lol. (twc added something that ruins my experience with the device.) okay, i was a bit frustrated. however, its not the end of the world because i can go on twitter to complain. lol.

the integration...i get it but i cant keep up with 3 social networks. on top of all that, i read the forums. secondly, the perception, whether true or not, is that your account is not really private.

whether apple, google, or microsoft, its all about managing expectations.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Google will be irrelevant someday just like every organization before it. People always manage to move on. Google or no Google, the internet as we know it is on the way out. Neither our governments nor our corporations want us to have anonymity. The days of the Wild West are numbered.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I only created a google email account because I was forced into when activating my Samsung Android phone.
No Android phone requires a google account. It is completely optional. The only thing you need to have a GMail account for is to access google's store for apps. But unlike competing products, Google gives you the option of using other stores like Amazon or even just manually installing your apps like on a PC.

In light of the recent changes, I felt vulnerable to Google blunt attempt to monopolize the internet and on my knees pleading to the Google gods for mercy.
The reason I don't have a huge problem with google's "monopoly' is because it is not really a monopoly. Google is not bossing you around and telling you that you have to use their crap. On your Android phone you can make any service a default for anything. Use whatever email you want. Use whatever video app you want. Use whatever map app you want.

It is not really a monopoly if you have a choice, and you do. Android people pick google because google really does make good products, not because they have no other option.

Moving forward, my next phone will not be an Android phone and I've gone back to hotmail services.
Ick...good luck with that. I dumped Hotmail ages ago. the spam was getting out of hand. Looks like Yahoo has gone down the spam toilet too.

Youtube will be an alternative video websites. The only thing I will not give up is Google search. To all the Google [inappropriate language removed by moderator] users out their I want to remind you that you will wake up to a rude awakening one day when you become so dependable on Google that there's no turning back.
So long as these services are optional, I'll never be dependent on them.

You can use your Android phone without a single google service, and it will still work 100%. You will not have that option with Microsoft or Apple. No one is forcing you to use google.

alumius

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I understand your point. I think part of frustration is that for the longest time Google was seen as the opposite to the evil Microsoft Empire. Then slowly Google became virtually identical to it. That’s just the nature of large corporations.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I understand your point. I think part of frustration is that for the longest time Google was seen as the opposite to the evil Microsoft Empire. Then slowly Google became virtually identical to it.
They're not identical at all. They are not even similar. You can use any part of Google or no part at all. Google's "empire" is 100% voluntary on almost every level.

Google does not make money selling you hardware like Apple, or selling you software like Microsoft. So they have no incentive to lock you in. Or to lock others out...Google has always been eager to make their products available on competing platforms.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Google + for me is that I don’t know one single person who uses it.
Google seems to believe that the reason few people use Google+ is because few other people use Google+. The real problem is few people want to use Google+. Forcing more people to get accounts would help if the issue were that not enough people had accounts, but it doesn't fix the actual issue of no one wanting an account.

IH8Buttons

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I get where your coming from but to assert that Google must be abandoned because they're trying to incentivise you to use more of there products seems kinda myopic to me. Regardless of the fact that Google is a business and are well within their rights to promote its own goods, the growing trend of interconnected devices and services that Microsoft and Apple adopt kinda require modern tech companies to push all thier services as 1 coherent ecosystem.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
You can use any part of Google or no part at all. Google's "empire" is 100% voluntary on almost every level.

Yeahhh... not so much, anymore. Want to rate an app? Need a G+ account. Latitude? Gone. Need a G+ account to get the same functionality. Apparently the same for YT, now. (I don't use it, so I don't know.) As a result: I no longer have a G+ account. I no longer rate apps. I don't use Google navigation or whatever replaced Latitude. I don't use Picassa. So what Google's increasing invasiveness is accomplishing, for me, is less functionality and less use of their products.

I'm really looking forward to the day when there's a credible Linux-based handset that, hopefully, won't want to own my soul.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeahhh... not so much, anymore. Want to rate an app? Need a G+ account.
Why would Google not be in their rights to do that? You do not have to use any app from the Google store...you can just side load it. You can use an alt market. Want to rate it outside of google's bossiness? Make your own side or use a 3rd party site. Google won't stop you. Before google's market matured there used to be several sites like that.

Latitude? Gone.
Again, who is stopping you from using a 3rd party service? Not google.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.life360.android.safetymapd&token=dZPYkL_d

As a result: I no longer have a G+ account. I no longer rate apps. I don't use Google navigation or whatever replaced Latitude.
and that is why Google is different. on Google's platform, you have that option. Apple and Microsoft do not give you those options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae