1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To Root or Not to Root?

Apologies in advance if there is a similar thread, but I'm looking for some opinions on why people, aside from getting rid of bloatware, choose to root their device.

I'd like to get some idea of the pros and cons (aside from possible voiding a manufacturer's warranty) of rooting. I personally never had the inclination to root any of my devices, but given great benefits, I might consider doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: To Root or Not to Root?

for greenify
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I do it for the "vanilla" experience of Android. I also think it's the fastest way to get updates
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Greenify is also my top reason to root.
    AdAway & Root Explorer are up there, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Check out this AC article, it has some very good info on rooting: Rooting - is it for me? Some Q&A | Android Central

Myself I root all my Android devices for the following reasons (in order of importance):

1. Use AdAway with the MVPS blocking hosts file (blocks known malicious websites as well as ads)
    2. Freeze the OTA updater. I want control over when and IF my system gets an update. I prefer to evaluate updates when they're released (via change logs or others who have installed/reported on it) to see if it's worth updating or not.
    3. Gain full control over system to apply any system level modifications if needed. An example of this was with my Verizon Note 2 where for some unknown reason they disabled the following feature and I wanted it back: Re-enable infinite scroll on home screens and app drawer [MOD] Infinite scroll touch wiz home screens
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

The link posted above is very informative and should help you make your decision. Rooting isn't for everyone, and if you don't know what you are doing something can go wrong and you can end up with a bricked device.

If you decide to root read up and understand the process.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

For avast security (hard reset protection) to track when stolen.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

Reasons why I root are:
    Greenify
    Titanium back up (and bye bye bloatware)
    Auto hide soft keys
    ... And to me those r worth it especially since Facebook has like 91836472920477391 wake locks

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    ICS OTA ROOT, HoloS , CM

The reason you want root access is so you can become a “Superuser.” What does that mean? Nothing really, except your boot-loader is no longer locked, so you can do some things (including removing bloatware) and run some apps you wouldn't otherwise be able to.

One of my favorite root apps is XPrivacy, it can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data. XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data. There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a fake location being sent to the application.
    ​See >

If you would like to see a list of my favorite android apps, I just updated the post yesterday... >, many of them are for rooted phones.

Please ✓ "LIKE" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!
    Last edited by xXxGeek; 11-28-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Global Posts
    104 Global Posts

adaway, and tether.. you really do not need to root to tether, just accustomed to it.. t. backup as well.

I had a GS4 and wanted to root it but for some reason I couldn't get it to work so I got rid of that and got a Nexus 5 could not be happier love stock Android..
    Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Nexus all the way..