SMS app that supports group texts?

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Would like to be able to select a group that has multiple members so that I can send a single text message that all receive. Example : We have a group that gets together for dim sum every Sunday. It would be great to have a group called "Dim sum regulars" that I could select from a list, then send a single text message to. Ideally it would become a group conversation.

I can't figure out how to do this with the standard Google SMS app. It's a real pain to have to select each person in the group individually every Sunday.

I tried Textra, but they rely on Groups in Google People, and I'm using VCOrganizer to manage my contacts. I'm trying Pansi, but I can't get it to work at all. I thought about Handcent, Go SMS Pro and Chomp, but I'm not interested in all the "free text" add-on services they provide. I just want a front end for my texts on my plan. I also looked at Whatsapp, but it's limited to only Whatsapp users. Same with BBM (I tried BBM for Android).

Using a Nexus for running Kit Kat on Telus.

TIA - R.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you considered Google Hangouts? Add everyone to a Circle and you can then group SMS them (or just do a normal Hangout).

I believe Facebook Messenger also does the same thing.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered Google Hangouts? Add everyone to a Circle and you can then group SMS them (or just do a normal Hangout).

I believe Facebook Messenger also does the same thing.

The challenge I have with Hangouts is that it records all your interactions and Google scans them to serve up appropriate ads. One of our team has a husband who handles IT security for a large US firm and they stopped using Hangouts for that reason. Apparently even sessions flagged as "Off the record" are still recorded and used by Google for Google's internal purposes even though they can't be replayed by anyone else.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I value my privacy too much to use a product or service that does that.

- R.

Rooster99

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
BBM. You can have group pictures only and it's fast.

Sent from my gameboy color

Good suggestion - loved BBM in my Blackberry days and tried it on Adnroid too. Had a battery drain problem to start but they say the latest update fixed that.

Problem is that for it to work the recipients need to be using it as well. It's a real chicken-and-egg routine. - they need more users on it so it's common enough to get more users. They should cut a deal with the Android manufacturers to preload it on new phones. They're doing that in African apparently. makes total sense.

Other suggestions with SMS focus?

- R.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm pretty sure that both GO SMS and Handcent do group messaging, because I used them both. Now I'm using the default text app on my HTC One because it does everything I need it to do, including group messaging, and does it very well. Also very, very smooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21