1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Get son tablet he asked for, or something better?

My 8 year old son wants a new tablet for Christmas. He currently has an Acer A100 which is showing some age. He has asked for “a big one” like mine (Transformer Prime). He’s a good kid, and I’d like to get him what he is asking for, but I can’t spend $300+ for a new 10” tablet. I’ve looked on eBay for some used/refurb tabs like the TF300, but we are still talking in the neighborhood of $200. Either that or some off brand of questionable quality. Looks like I can pick up a Nexus 7 for less than that, which I would prefer to get him since it is a better tablet, but I don’t know if he will be happy with a 7”. Obviously you can’t guess what my son will or won’t be happy with, but let me know your thoughts on one vs. the other.

Default Re: Get son tablet he asked for, or something better?

1. i never buy refurbished electronics. i don't trust them. i always buy new.
    2. i would get him no less than a 10" tablet since that's what he's asking for and the size will be immediately apparent and an immediate upgrade to his current 7" tablet. and the display is the #1 feature that you interact with.
    3. i'm a big believer in Nexus devices but the 10 is outside of your budget.
    4. have you see this at Staples? -

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet
    Item: 310576 Model: ME102A-A1-GR
    10.1" WXGA (1280 X 800) LED Backlight IPS panel, 10 finger multi-touch display
    16GB Memory
    Android 4.2

FREE SHIPPING, PLUS 5% BACK FOR REWARDS MEMBERS
    In Stock Online
    Expected Delivery:1 Business Day
    FREE Shipping to store ( Learn More )

Reg : $279.99
    Save: - $100.00
    $179.99*
    Each
    *Price after savings

Last edited by Gekko; 12-02-2013 at 02:04 PM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Awesome Gekko. Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen that one!

Hell, I guess they brought that deal back, nice!

Au contraire - ALWAYS buy refurd electronics. Whatever is going to go wrong already has, and had been fixed. You have a much lower failure rate because they test refurbs for the most common problems before sending it out again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. i never buy refurbished electronics. i don't trust them. i always buy new.
    2. i would get him no less than a 10" tablet since that's what he's asking for and the size will be immediately apparent and an immediate upgrade to his current 7" tablet. and the display is the #1 feature that you interact with.
    3. i'm a big believer in Nexus devices but the 10 is outside of your budget.
    4. have you see this at Staples? -

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet
    Item: 310576 Model: ME102A-A1-GR
    10.1" WXGA (1280 X 800) LED Backlight IPS panel, 10 finger multi-touch display
    16GB Memory
    Android 4.2

FREE SHIPPING, PLUS 5% BACK FOR REWARDS MEMBERS
    In Stock Online
    Expected Delivery:1 Business Day
    FREE Shipping to store ( Learn More )

Reg : $279.99
    Save: - $100.00
    $179.99*
    Each
    *Price after savings

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Au contraire - ALWAYS buy refurd electronics. Whatever is going to go wrong already has, and had been fixed. You have a much lower failure rate because they test refurbs for the most common problems before sending it out again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    I agree with gone down south on this. I buy a lot of refurb electronics and I have had WAY more problems with electronics I've purchased new (my Moto X I just got is going back because there is dust between the glass and the LCD and my 2 month old Seagate Backup Plus hard drive just failed). I cannot remember the last phone I bought new that I didn't have to exchange at least once for a hardware defect. Meanwhile, of all the refurb electronics I've bought, I have only had a problem with one (defective touchscreen on a Samsung Sereis 5 Ultrabook). I noticed it right away and got it fixed under warranty.