Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: What should i get based on these needs?

Quote Originally Posted by WinFan1 View Post
    yeah but the note has awesome multitasking i was really impressed by the quality of that phone, one thing i could not confirm with the store is if the note also has the hover tech and the eye scrolling? but it looks like the note 3 is a pretty sure bet for me, the only other contender i see against is is the nexus 5 and the z1. not sure about the quality of the z1 in terms of updates though.
    Yea it does have those features to.

Sent by the Best phone to live NOTE 3
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Thanks for confirming that I think that's it then!

Hi all i'm planning on upgrading from my Lumia 925 to an Android device, only i have a list of requirements that it must meet, and i must admit i have been with windows phone for 3 years. I am not very familiar with android devices currently out besides the GS4 and the HTC1. Do any of you have any suggestions, based off these needs?
    1- looking for a screen of 5+inches.
    2- looking for expandable memory.
    3- looking for on-screen buttons.
    4- Does google have a music subscription, with a good catalogue of music? i listen to everything from rap to rock to country and i wanna know theres a good selection.
    5- am i absolutely forced to use google services or will microsoft apps work just as well?
    6- Does google have a smartglass app for the Xbox1?
    7- how good are google docs? are they a good replacement for skydrive, and office apps?
    8- How good are cameras on google phones compared to the lumia line of nokia phones?

any information or advice would be appreciated thanks.
    As a former Windows Phone user myself, I will attempt to address your concerns.

1-3) While there are devices that offer both expandable memory and on-screen buttons, they are low to mid range phones (Blu Products has a couple for under $300 no contract that offer both). However, I suggest you either ditch expandable memory and get the LG G2 or ditch the on screen buttons and get the Note 3. Neither is a bad choice
    4) Yes. Google Play Music All Access. It is excellent and I use it daily.
    5) Microsoft appst that they have published work fine. They have Office and One Note (only available to Office 365 subscribers), Hotmail, Bing, SkyDrive, Lync, Remote Desktop, Skype etc. all available on Android. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a major MS property that is available on Windows Phone that they have not also released for Android. Most of them are as good as or better than the Windows Phone versions as well. However, you will be required to at least have a Google account to acces the Play Store and a few other things, but you do not need to use it outside of that scope.
    6) Yes. It launched on Android at about the same time it launched on Windows Phone 7. The layout is a little different, but not completely different.
    7) I used to use the Office web apps and SkyDrive a lot. Google Docs is much, much better. Drive vs. SkyDrive is mostly a wash to me. I think Drive is slightly better, but SkyDrive is slightly cheaper if you need more than the free amount of storage (though there are frequent promos to get free Drive storage).
    8) Nothing is going to compare to the 1020 (except maybe the Galaxy S IV Zoom, which you should not buy under any circumstance). Camera's on Android phones vary quite a bit. The LG G2 has a great camera, the HTC One and Galaxy S IV (and Note III) both have very, very good Cameras, the Moto X has a usable camera, but it is definitely the worst of the flagships, the Nexus 5 takes great photos but has slow autofocus and a slow shutter. If the camera is very important to you, get the G2, SIV, Note III, or HTC One.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    As a former Windows Phone user myself, I will attempt to address your concerns.

1-3) While there are devices that offer both expandable memory and on-screen buttons, they are low to mid range phones (Blu Products has a couple for under $300 no contract that offer both). However, I suggest you either ditch expandable memory and get the LG G2 or ditch the on screen buttons and get the Note 3. Neither is a bad choice
    4) Yes. Google Play Music All Access. It is excellent and I use it daily.
    5) Microsoft appst that they have published work fine. They have Office and One Note (only available to Office 365 subscribers), Hotmail, Bing, SkyDrive, Lync, Remote Desktop, Skype etc. all available on Android. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a major MS property that is available on Windows Phone that they have not also released for Android. Most of them are as good as or better than the Windows Phone versions as well. However, you will be required to at least have a Google account to acces the Play Store and a few other things, but you do not need to use it outside of that scope.
    6) Yes. It launched on Android at about the same time it launched on Windows Phone 7. The layout is a little different, but not completely different.
    7) I used to use the Office web apps and SkyDrive a lot. Google Docs is much, much better. Drive vs. SkyDrive is mostly a wash to me. I think Drive is slightly better, but SkyDrive is slightly cheaper if you need more than the free amount of storage (though there are frequent promos to get free Drive storage).
    8) Nothing is going to compare to the 1020 (except maybe the Galaxy S IV Zoom, which you should not buy under any circumstance). Camera's on Android phones vary quite a bit. The LG G2 has a great camera, the HTC One and Galaxy S IV (and Note III) both have very, very good Cameras, the Moto X has a usable camera, but it is definitely the worst of the flagships, the Nexus 5 takes great photos but has slow autofocus and a slow shutter. If the camera is very important to you, get the G2, SIV, Note III, or HTC One.
    well it must be able to use skydrive based simply off the fact that i have 27 GB worth. what about the z1 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    No, it will be able to run Android apps. That's the beauty of OS 10.2.

Edit: or 10.2.1 can.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Yeah if you side load... No one wants to sideload apps

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

well it must be able to use skydrive based simply off the fact that i have 27 GB worth. what about the z1 camera?
    I've heard it's pretty good with pics but the video is sort of off. High MP count doesn't necessarily mean better pics

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I know it doesn't mean better pictures, I'm just saying hows the quality of the camera on the Z1.

I have not used it personally, but I've heard it is very, very good.

The note 3 is better. ....i turned in my Q10 because blackberry couldn't and still can't solve my blackberry I.d problems.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

thanks for your help all! tomorrows the big day, first day with android since the nexus one!!
    Last edited by WinFan1; 12-05-2013 at 09:08 AM.
    UJ95x likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

hey guys just got my note!! its freaking awesome i love it. the screen is beautiful!
    stackberry369 likes this.

Did u have it delivered? U mind posting a screenshot bro?

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post
    Did u have it delivered? U mind posting a screenshot bro?

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    lol how do you take a screenshot :P no i went and picked it up i got it in black! My computer will not let me upload the picture though I am at work.
    Last edited by WinFan1; 12-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

lol how do you take a screenshot :P no i went and picked it up i got it in black! My computer will not let me upload the picture though I am at work.
    You can take a screenshot by swiping your hand across the screen from left to right if you have that enabled or by holding the home and power buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds

Samsung phones are usually the most stable. Get em with android OS loaded and your all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Android Deals View Post
    Samsung phones are usually the most stable. Get em with android OS loaded and your all set.
    expecially when they get updates! lol

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Android Deals View Post
    Not lately. Updates take forever and when they come they're buggy. I have had two Sammy phones and this one is my last

No, it will be able to run Android apps. That's the beauty of OS 10.2.

Edit: or 10.2.1 can.

Why not just use the real thing (Android)?

Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    Why not just use the real thing (Android)?
    BB is another option, but they're doing so badly... I guess I always think the underdog deserves some support.

BB is another option, but they're doing so badly... I guess I always think the underdog deserves some support.

I was a long term Blackberry user but would not currently recommend them to anyone.
    Thanked by:

I was a long term Blackberry user but would not currently recommend them to anyone.
    Because of the lack of apps?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Because of the lack of apps?

Just the situation they have put themselves in. They offer nothing special people don't already have with Android or iOS. It will take a lot for them to catch up, if they ever do. BTW, I've owned a Z10.
    Thanked by:

Just the situation they have put themselves in. They offer nothing special people don't already have with Android or iOS. It will take a lot for them to catch up, if they ever do. BTW, I've owned a Z10.
    Thanks for reply about this. Yes, I'm a big Android fan but I think as much competition as possible between platforms is always a good thing. I hope they get their stuff together too. I ordered a Z10 during the sale last week and haven't heard a peep since the order confirmation. I'm wondering now not only if I'll get it before Xmas but if I'll get it at all...

Thanked by:
    SDTRMG 

I have a q10 and it's an amazing phone, the new BB operating system is awesome as well, if they had all the apps that Android had I might not be using this phone right now

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by DS1331 View Post
    I have a q10 and it's an amazing phone, the new BB operating system is awesome as well, if they had all the apps that Android had I might not be using this phone right now

Is the q10 like the z10 only with the physical keyboard?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast