What should i get based on these needs?

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The Galaxy S4 active has actual buttons, not sure how much they're running unlocked. Either way the note 3 is a great device.

Note 3 <Caesars>

WinFan1

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
The Galaxy S4 active has actual buttons, not sure how much they're running unlocked. Either way the note 3 is a great device.

Note 3 <Caesars>
yeah but the note has awesome multitasking i was really impressed by the quality of that phone, one thing i could not confirm with the store is if the note also has the hover tech and the eye scrolling? but it looks like the note 3 is a pretty sure bet for me, the only other contender i see against is is the nexus 5 and the z1. not sure about the quality of the z1 in terms of updates though.

WinFan1

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Not to make a harder decision but there's also the Blackberry Z30 which I think has expandable storage.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
i had a bb z10 and i loved the operating system, though i dont think tmobile has the z30 in stock, also i dont know exactly how to run android apps on bb10.2.1, as well as the fact that i wouldnt know how well they run on bb, the note i got a chance to really play with and it looks like the ultimate media and productivity phone/tablet on tmos menu. the only reason i consider the nexus 5 a choice is because of the support directly from google but coming from windows phone and having to deal only with onboard storage has kinda ruined my experience, and the only reason the z1 is there is because of the 20mp camera but unsure about the updates to new operating systems.. so if i gave a percentage its:

Galaxy Note 3- 45% sure:D
LG Nexus 5- 30% sure:cool:
Sony Z1- 25% sure:p

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
yeah but the note has awesome multitasking i was really impressed by the quality of that phone, one thing i could not confirm with the store is if the note also has the hover tech and the eye scrolling? but it looks like the note 3 is a pretty sure bet for me, the only other contender i see against is is the nexus 5 and the z1. not sure about the quality of the z1 in terms of updates though.

Yea it does have those features to.

Sent by the Best phone to live NOTE 3

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi all i'm planning on upgrading from my Lumia 925 to an Android device, only i have a list of requirements that it must meet, and i must admit i have been with windows phone for 3 years. I am not very familiar with android devices currently out besides the GS4 and the HTC1. Do any of you have any suggestions, based off these needs?
1- looking for a screen of 5+inches.
2- looking for expandable memory.
3- looking for on-screen buttons.
4- Does google have a music subscription, with a good catalogue of music? i listen to everything from rap to rock to country and i wanna know theres a good selection.
5- am i absolutely forced to use google services or will microsoft apps work just as well?
6- Does google have a smartglass app for the Xbox1?
7- how good are google docs? are they a good replacement for skydrive, and office apps?
8- How good are cameras on google phones compared to the lumia line of nokia phones?

any information or advice would be appreciated thanks.:-$

As a former Windows Phone user myself, I will attempt to address your concerns.

1-3) While there are devices that offer both expandable memory and on-screen buttons, they are low to mid range phones (Blu Products has a couple for under $300 no contract that offer both). However, I suggest you either ditch expandable memory and get the LG G2 or ditch the on screen buttons and get the Note 3. Neither is a bad choice
4) Yes. Google Play Music All Access. It is excellent and I use it daily.
5) Microsoft appst that they have published work fine. They have Office and One Note (only available to Office 365 subscribers), Hotmail, Bing, SkyDrive, Lync, Remote Desktop, Skype etc. all available on Android. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a major MS property that is available on Windows Phone that they have not also released for Android. Most of them are as good as or better than the Windows Phone versions as well. However, you will be required to at least have a Google account to acces the Play Store and a few other things, but you do not need to use it outside of that scope.
6) Yes. It launched on Android at about the same time it launched on Windows Phone 7. The layout is a little different, but not completely different.
7) I used to use the Office web apps and SkyDrive a lot. Google Docs is much, much better. Drive vs. SkyDrive is mostly a wash to me. I think Drive is slightly better, but SkyDrive is slightly cheaper if you need more than the free amount of storage (though there are frequent promos to get free Drive storage).
8) Nothing is going to compare to the 1020 (except maybe the Galaxy S IV Zoom, which you should not buy under any circumstance). Camera's on Android phones vary quite a bit. The LG G2 has a great camera, the HTC One and Galaxy S IV (and Note III) both have very, very good Cameras, the Moto X has a usable camera, but it is definitely the worst of the flagships, the Nexus 5 takes great photos but has slow autofocus and a slow shutter. If the camera is very important to you, get the G2, SIV, Note III, or HTC One.

WinFan1

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
As a former Windows Phone user myself, I will attempt to address your concerns.

1-3) While there are devices that offer both expandable memory and on-screen buttons, they are low to mid range phones (Blu Products has a couple for under $300 no contract that offer both). However, I suggest you either ditch expandable memory and get the LG G2 or ditch the on screen buttons and get the Note 3. Neither is a bad choice
4) Yes. Google Play Music All Access. It is excellent and I use it daily.
5) Microsoft appst that they have published work fine. They have Office and One Note (only available to Office 365 subscribers), Hotmail, Bing, SkyDrive, Lync, Remote Desktop, Skype etc. all available on Android. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a major MS property that is available on Windows Phone that they have not also released for Android. Most of them are as good as or better than the Windows Phone versions as well. However, you will be required to at least have a Google account to acces the Play Store and a few other things, but you do not need to use it outside of that scope.
6) Yes. It launched on Android at about the same time it launched on Windows Phone 7. The layout is a little different, but not completely different.
7) I used to use the Office web apps and SkyDrive a lot. Google Docs is much, much better. Drive vs. SkyDrive is mostly a wash to me. I think Drive is slightly better, but SkyDrive is slightly cheaper if you need more than the free amount of storage (though there are frequent promos to get free Drive storage).
8) Nothing is going to compare to the 1020 (except maybe the Galaxy S IV Zoom, which you should not buy under any circumstance). Camera's on Android phones vary quite a bit. The LG G2 has a great camera, the HTC One and Galaxy S IV (and Note III) both have very, very good Cameras, the Moto X has a usable camera, but it is definitely the worst of the flagships, the Nexus 5 takes great photos but has slow autofocus and a slow shutter. If the camera is very important to you, get the G2, SIV, Note III, or HTC One.
well it must be able to use skydrive based simply off the fact that i have 27 GB worth. what about the z1 camera?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
well it must be able to use skydrive based simply off the fact that i have 27 GB worth. what about the z1 camera?

I've heard it's pretty good with pics but the video is sort of off. High MP count doesn't necessarily mean better pics

Posted via Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The note 3 is better. ....i turned in my Q10 because blackberry couldn't and still can't solve my blackberry I.d problems.

Posted via Android Central App

WinFan1

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Did u have it delivered? U mind posting a screenshot bro?

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
lol how do you take a screenshot :p no i went and picked it up :D i got it in black! My computer will not let me upload the picture though I am at work.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
lol how do you take a screenshot :p no i went and picked it up :D i got it in black! My computer will not let me upload the picture though I am at work.
You can take a screenshot by swiping your hand across the screen from left to right if you have that enabled or by holding the home and power buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair