Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By michaels_epp
  • 1 Post By jdevenberg
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Default Tablets around $150

For Christmas I am buying 2 tablets for my girlfriend and I. My budget is up to 150 each. Right now I am looking at the HP Mesquite tablet , the Dell Venue 8, the new HP Slate 7 plus and a new 2012 Nexus 7. Of the ones I have listed what would be the best for me to buy. I am looking for something that does the basics, email, videos, Netflix, some gaming and, reading books with a decent screen.
    So which would you recommend? And are there some refurbished tablets that might be worth looking at also?

Default Re: Tablets around $150

1. i never buy refurbished electronics. i don't trust them. i always buy new.
    2. Nexus device is always my first choice if money is not a consideration. if you go Nexus 7 - i would spend a few bucks extra and go Nexus and get the LATEST version (2013+ model).
    3. i like 10" display vs. 7". display is the #1 thing you see and interact with.
    4. too bad you missed this $179 deal at Staples a few days ago - perhaps it will return for Christmas - best value on a tablet i've seen yet -

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet
    Item: 310576 Model: ME102A-A1-GR
    10.1" WXGA (1280 X 800) LED Backlight IPS panel, 10 finger multi-touch display
    16GB Memory
    Android 4.2

FREE SHIPPING, PLUS 5% BACK FOR REWARDS MEMBERS
    In Stock Online
    Expected Delivery:1 Business Day
    FREE Shipping to store ( Learn More )

Reg : $279.99
    Save: - $100.00
    $179.99*
    Each
    *Price after savings

The Nexus 7 2012 is a good choice, once you upgrade it to KitKat it will run just fine, and you won't be needing that 5MP rear camera of the newer version anyway. I really can't recommend anything else beside Nexus, it's the only guarantee of fast updates.

You could get the cheaper MemoPad HD7, which I got for my brother, it's not as fast however, especially for gaming, but it has a barely usable rear camera and microSD slot. Also the screen might be slightly better than the Nexus 7 2012, even though same resolution.

I never had issues with refurb, and if you do return it for an exchange, duh. It depends on how good the return policy is. You can get used on Swappa.com, it has pretty good standards, never had issues buying and selling from there (as long as you're careful).

You might want to look out for the Nvidia Tegra Note 7 that is coming out too, but it's out of stock on Newegg right now. If I was to get a $200 tablet right now, this would be it. So no advantages of the Nexus stock Android, but the performance destroy the Nexus 7 2013 for gaming. It has durable design (which both Nexus 7 lacks from my experience). Front speakers. Dedicated microHDMI out port and microSD slot. And decent stylus support. But from the reviews, the display is only average. It's kind of hard getting a decent screen and is 1080p unless you atleast get a Nexus 7 2013.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-06-2013 at 01:33 AM.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Thanks for the response. I am leaning toward the Nexus 7, but wondered about the new tablets that just came out in that price range. I am hopping to find a deal for one in the next few weeks.

You can find plenty of second hand tablets on craigslist.

I have the HP Mesquite. It's a solid tablet and a good value for the price. Of the $99 tablet's I've reviewed on it is the Editor's Choice due to the construction, 5 hours battery life, and generally decent performance.
    Last edited by Nate the great; 12-15-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Global Posts
    2,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLClark View Post
    For Christmas I am buying 2 tablets for my girlfriend and I. My budget is up to 150 each. Right now I am looking at the HP Mesquite tablet , the Dell Venue 8, the new HP Slate 7 plus and a new 2012 Nexus 7. Of the ones I have listed what would be the best for me to buy. I am looking for something that does the basics, email, videos, Netflix, some gaming and, reading books with a decent screen.
    So which would you recommend? And are there some refurbished tablets that might be worth looking at also?
    I would go for the Nexus 7. If that doesn't cut it, you should consider looking at the Asus MeMoPad line.

Asus MeMoPad 7-inch

Asus MeMoPad 8-inch
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Nexus 7 for sure.

Posted via Android Central App

on sale again. $199.99.

Asus Memo Pad ME102 10.1'', 16GB Tablet
    Item: 310576 Model: ME102A-A1-GR

The NEW Kindle Fire HD is a pretty good tablet. I would define neatly look into it.
    codeda likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Thanks for the responses. I had the local Office Depot hold a couple of Memo Pad HD7s for me. I am picking them up tomorrow.

I vote dell venue 8. I love 8" tablets abs every review of the venue 8 has been positive. If definitely get it over the year old nexus 7 or the hp tablet

Posted via Android Central App
    wizzrah likes this.