Should I move from HTC One to Xperia Z1?

Andysor

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
OK, so at my work we get a new phone every 18 months. I got the HTC One X last year, it got stolen 3 months ago and I got the newer HTC One on insurance. I now get a new free phone and can choose between all the new models, but I've narrowed it down to another One or the Z1 (my partner gets the old One I currently have).

My questions to Z1 owners:
*It's big. I can use the One comfortably with one hand, is this possible with the Z1?
*The camera on the One is decent, but not brilliant, are you happy with the Z1 camera?
*I LOVE the screen on my One, is the Z1 screen good enough in sunlight, black levels etc.? Some of the reviews remark it's not that great.
*Is the battery very good? I'm happy with the One battery, but wouldn't mind even better battery.

So, basically I'm very happy with my HTC One, which is by far the best phone I've owned, and feel bad not rewarding HTC by showing brand loyalty, but the upgraded chip and camera on the Z1 and the waterproof body are enticing, but the size seems daunting.

Any thoughts?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I think I'd stick with the HTC One. I also heard that the Z1's viewing angles weren't very good. That may be irrelevant to you, though but the HTC One is a great phone from what I've read.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
OK, so at my work we get a new phone every 18 months. I got the HTC One X last year, it got stolen 3 months ago and I got the newer HTC One on insurance. I now get a new free phone and can choose between all the new models, but I've narrowed it down to another One or the Z1 (my partner gets the old One I currently have).

*It's big. I can use the One comfortably with one hand, is this possible with the Z1?
*The camera on the One is decent, but not brilliant, are you happy with the Z1 camera?
*I LOVE the screen on my One, is the Z1 screen good enough in sunlight, black levels etc.? Some of the reviews remark it's not that great.
*Is the battery very good? I'm happy with the One battery, but wouldn't mind even better battery.

So, basically I'm very happy with my HTC One, which is by far the best phone I've owned, and feel bad not rewarding HTC by showing brand loyalty, but the upgraded chip and camera on the Z1 and the waterproof body are enticing, but the size seems daunting.

Any thoughts?

Note 3.

Posted via Android Central App

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd say stick to the One, it's an excellent phone and Htc are supporting it very well, while the Z1 has an average display at best, Camera has not lived up to expectations and I've not read much good WRT its batt life.

If you MUST get a new phone then get either the Note 3 OR even the Htc One Max, which is the 6inch version of the One OR get a LG G2. Forget the Z1, it does not even have 4.3 yet. The G2 will skip 4.3 and go to 4.4.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd say stick to the One, it's an excellent phone and Htc are supporting it very well, while the Z1 has an average display at best, Camera has not lived up to expectations and I've not read much good WRT its batt life.

If you MUST get a new phone then get either the Note 3 OR even the Htc One Max, which is the 6inch version of the One OR get a LG G2. Forget the Z1, it does not even have 4.3 yet. The G2 will skip 4.3 and go to 4.4.

...and there is CM 10.2 for the G2.

gp8.3

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

It's not an easy 1-hander like the One
Extremely. Most of the knocks a few people are mentioning above are from reviews prior to the most recent firmware. I take my camera reviews from professional photography sites not smart phone sites and they've all been very impressed by it, rating it among the top 3 you can get on a phone.
Xperia phones have a barely noticeable degradation of clarity when you tilt them around 45 degrees or more from your face. Personally I never even notice it, and I've had numerous smartphones that didn't have that issue. The display is top notch otherwise so that completely makes up for it.
I get remarkable battery life. There are some who claim otherwise but they're the same small number of folks that you'll see saying that about pretty much every phone.

Any thoughts?

My answers are above, but overall, since you already own a 2013 flagship phone and you're already happy with it, I can't honestly tell you that the Z1 will be a big upgrade for you. I'd wait until the spring if I were you.

knowtifier

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
The HTC One has a curved back that sites nicely in the palm. I dont see that being the case with the boxy Z1. Not that its a bad phone but it doesnt seem like it can be used easily in one hand for someone who is used to the One. I have the HTC One and i dont have a problem with using it in one hand, but anything larger is not one-hand friendly for me.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I love my HTC One! I'd stick with it. However the Sony phones have always held an interest to me. Never had one yet. Played with them a few times. HTC just has a better experience for my needs currently so that is what I went with!

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think you'd like the Z1. Sony makes really nice phones and the UI has an understated clean look. If your worried about the size, maybe look at the ZL from earlier this year.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670