BYOD Blues

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Just curious about BYOD policies with your employer. My employer (bank) is looking at this and modeling it after another banks BYOD policy. They will allow iPhones, and others in due course. But, they will not support it in any way. By that I mean, technical problems, acquisition costs, monthly servicing costs.

I see no motivation for employees to go BYOD, and better to stick with company issued BlackBerry 10s. But I can see how the bank would love it if employees go BYOD.

How is your employers BYOD policy like?

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

emanwis

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
BYOD = bring your own device. Accessing corporate email and calendar from your personal smartphone.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
BYOD = bring your own device. Accessing corporate email and calendar from your personal smartphone.
I currently run my own firm (5 employees) and we do not pay for employee devices but we pay for the employees' phone service. If they are on a family plan, we pay for the primary line on the plan and they pay for the additional lines. Before I broke out on my own, my old firm did the same thing.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Worth mentioning, for iPhones with the other bank (my competitor), you also have to sign a waiver agreeing that upon termination, they will be able to remotely connect to your device and wipe the entire device. Personal and company data for iPhones. I don't believe they allow Android devices at the moment.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
employees love BYOD because they can buy what they want, keep their own phone number, retain a little more privacy, and most importantly, get away from those awful antiquated buggy oddball french canuck blackberries.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I currently run my own firm (5 employees) and we do not pay for employee devices but we pay for the employees' phone service. If they are on a family plan, we pay for the primary line on the plan and they pay for the additional lines. Before I broke out on my own, my old firm did the same thing.

What if they use a lot of data in a given month? Do you pay for the extra cost? What if one employee gets a more expensive plan than another employee?

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
employees love BYOD because they can buy what they want, keep their own phone number, retain a little more privacy, and most importantly, get away from those awful antiquated buggy oddball french canuck blackberries.

What about remote wipe out of your phone upon termination? The moment a manager notifies HR of termination, IT will lock out the phone and delete everything. The employee doesn't even get a chance to backup personal data, pictures, videos, etc etc? How is that handled at your employer?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
What about remote wipe out of your phone upon termination? The moment a manager notifies HR of termination, IT will lock out the phone and delete everything. The employee doesn't even get a chance to backup personal data, pictures, videos, etc etc? How is that handled at your employer?

false. you are simply disconnected from the Employer's Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Server and simply no longer have access to Employer Email/Contacts/Calendar etc. there's not always a need to completely wipe the phone. and even if it is wiped - all of your personal data is store in the Google Cloud where it remains safe. that is one of the many beauties of ANDROID and GOOGLE.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
What if they use a lot of data in a given month? Do you pay for the extra cost? What if one employee gets a more expensive plan than another employee?

most Employers simply have employees submit their cell phone bill for their phone and then reimburse up to $X/month maximum. typically X = $75-$100. as long as the phone is MSFT EAS compatible - they are good to go. simple and easy and a win-win for everyone.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
What if they use a lot of data in a given month? Do you pay for the extra cost?
That's a good point that we haven't had to deal with yet. Now that Verizon and ATT have eliminated the traditional plans, it may become an issue in the future and we will have to institute a policy on that. I have unlimited data as does my partner and 2 of the other employees and we all know how to transfer upgrades to keep our unlimited data. Only 1 person doesn't have unlimited data and that person doesn't need a cell phone to do their job. So far, there hasn't been an issue with data overages but in the future it may become a problem if the firm grows and new hires don't have unlimited data. Something for us to think about for the future.

What if one employee gets a more expensive plan than another employee?
I am the only one who doesn't have unlimited talk minutes because I was able to get a special promo where I have unlimited any mobile to any mobile minutes. Everyone has unlimited texts and as I said above, 4 out of 5 have unlimited data. I would have to double check but my plan is probably the cheapest of everyones since I don't have unlimited talk minutes and everyone else does.

We probably should put a cap on how much we would pay a month and then if there were overages, as long as they were work related we would pay for those. I will cross that bridge when I get to it, but like I said, 4 out of 5 of us must have a cell phone to do our job so I don't see any other option than to have the firm pay for the phone service. We also pay for the insurance on the phone, but not for the deductible if you lose it or it is stolen and not for the cost of upgrades. But we do pay the upgrade fee if it appears as a charge on the phone bill.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
false. you are simply disconnected from the Employer's Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Server and simply no longer have access to Employer Email/Contacts/Calendar etc. there's not always a need to completely wipe the phone. and even if it is wiped - all of your personal data is store in the Google Cloud where it remains safe. that is one of the many beauties of ANDROID and GOOGLE.

Actually, the answer is it depends. It depends on the company, but one bank I know forces the employee to sign that wipe out waiver as a condition of BYOD. I'm just trying to get a sense of that range in policies between large employers and SME.

As for cloud services, would calendar/contacts from the Employer's server get synced to a personal Outlook or Google Contacts/Calendar? So the employee could still have employers data somewhere on the phone? In its cache? It somewhere else?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually, the answer is it depends. It depends on the company, but one bank I know forces the employee to sign that wipe out waiver as a condition of BYOD. I'm just trying to get a sense of that range in policies between large employers and SME.

As for cloud services, would calendar/contacts from the Employer's server get synced to a personal Outlook or Google Contacts/Calendar? So the employee could still have employers data somewhere on the phone? In its cache? It somewhere else?

1. Different companies have different policies. i know of at least two very large multi-billion dollar financial institutions that just simply disconnect you from their EAS server. they don't wipe your personal phone. i think this is the way it should be.
2. Outlook Server data gets synced to the Outlook "repository" in a temporary cache on the phone. if/when the disconnect happens the Outlook data disappears from the phone. that "channel" and all associated data and access are immediately gone. however - you can do an "Export" before the disconnect and then "Import" later to another conduit - like Gmail.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae