Moto X or iPhone 5S?

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I know I am asking the Androidcentral fanbase, but I am wondering what y'all think. My contract is ending soon and I am thinking about switching to the 5S. I've owned several Android phones/tablets over the years and I pretty much use Google's cloud services for everything. I wouldn't mind switching over to iCloud though, but I do think I would still keep some things in Google's cloud. I like how iOS 7 looks, plus iPhone's great design is hard to match (right next to the HTC One). I do love Android, but iPhone's look appealing to me because it really seems like everything just works. Moto X though is stock Android, more customizable (hardware and software), and keeps the smaller form factor. So...what do y'all think? Coming from a Gnex btw.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a Gnex btw.
All of my family members have iPhones except me so I am pretty familiar with them and I currently have a GNex upgrading to a Moto X Dev Ed arriving on Tuesday (so I will be able to give you more feedback then). Just used an upgrade to buy an iPhone 5s to sell and another upgrade to get the GNote 3 (that I will decide whether or not to sell or keep depending on how I feel about the Moto X).

IPhone pros - better camera, better screen, no lag, iMessage to iPads, Facetime with other iPhone users, iCloud back up backs up your text messages, AppleCare, Apple stores for in person support, aluminum case

iPhone cons - need to jailbreak to customize it or to use your phone as a mobile hotspot if you have Verizon unlimited data and currently, no jailbreak is available - my impression is that jailbreaking is more difficult and less stable than unlocking a bootloader and rooting but I have never jailbroken an iPhone

Moto X Dev Ed pros - unlockable bootloader that doesn't void your warranty and if it is anything like the GNex, it will be unbrickable, always listening, my motospeak app that speaks texts to you (only works with motorola bluetooth devices), USTV app, Ad Free app

Moto X Dev Ed cons - camera is supposedly not great and screen is not 1080p

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
All of my family members have iPhones except me so I am pretty familiar with them and I currently have a GNex upgrading to a Moto X Dev Ed arriving on Tuesday (so I will be able to give you more feedback then). Just used an upgrade to buy an iPhone 5s to sell and another upgrade to get the GNote 3 (that I will decide whether or not to sell or keep depending on how I feel about the Moto X).

IPhone pros - better camera, better screen, no lag, iMessage to iPads, Facetime with other iPhone users, iCloud back up backs up your text messages, AppleCare, Apple stores for in person support, aluminum case

iPhone cons - need to jailbreak to customize it or to use your phone as a mobile hotspot if you have Verizon unlimited data and currently, no jailbreak is available - my impression is that jailbreaking is more difficult and less stable than unlocking a bootloader and rooting but I have never jailbroken an iPhone

Moto X Dev Ed pros - unlockable bootloader that doesn't void your warranty and if it is anything like the GNex, it will be unbrickable, always listening, my motospeak app that speaks texts to you (only works with motorola bluetooth devices), USTV app, Ad Free app

Moto X Dev Ed cons - camera is supposedly not great and screen is not 1080p
iPhone 5S screen isn't 1080p either but the PPI is slightly higher. I'd still say the X has a better screen
Moto X doesn't lag whatsoever either so that wouldn't be an advantage on the iPhone

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 5S screen isn't 1080p either but the PPI is slightly higher. I'd still say the X has a better screen
interesting. I will have both to compare side by side on Tuesday. The GNote 3 screen is to die for.

Moto X doesn't lag whatsoever either so that wouldn't be an advantage on the iPhone
Well my GNex sure as heck lags, lol! And the freaking bluetooth after the last upgrade doesn't maintain a connection with the headset, which by the way is another advantage of an iPhone - they don't release beta iOS versions that cripple a critical function like bluetooth and then end of life a device!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
interesting. I will have both to compare side by side on Tuesday. The GNote 3 screen is to die for.

Well my GNex sure as heck lags, lol! And the freaking bluetooth after the last upgrade doesn't maintain a connection with the headset, which by the way is another advantage of an iPhone - they don't release beta iOS versions that cripple a critical function like bluetooth and then end of life a device!
I was referring to the Moto X though. It's just as smooth as the 5S or Nexus 5 and I haven't seen anything about a Bluetooth issue/bug

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to the Moto X though. It's just as smooth as the 5S or Nexus 5 and I haven't seen anything about a Bluetooth issue/bug
Well I will be able to tell you if I agree or not about the lag on Tuesday.

The bluetooth bug is in 4.2.2, which was the GNex's final update.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well I will be able to tell you if I agree or not about the lag on Tuesday.

The bluetooth bug is in 4.2.2, which was the GNex's final update.
Ah, ok, but he isn't getting a GNex so that's irrelevant
Just watch, I don't have an X but I've played with it a few times at AT&T + Sprint and it's impossible to get even a hiccup out of it :p

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Ah, ok, but he isn't getting a GNex so that's irrelevant
No but he has a GNex now so he knows what I am talking about. It is infuriating that they end of lifed the GNex with a bluetooth bug that makes the bluetooth unuseable unless you unlock and flash a custom ROM. Apple would never do that to its customers. So it is relevant when choosing between Apple and Google IMO.

Just watch, I don't have an X but I've played with it a few times at AT&T + Sprint and it's impossible to get even a hiccup out of it :p
I can't wait!!!!!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No but he has a GNex now so he knows what I am talking about. It is infuriating that they end of lifed the GNex with a bluetooth bug that makes the bluetooth unuseable unless you unlock and flash a custom ROM. Apple would never do that to its customers. So it is relevant when choosing between Apple and Google IMO.

I can't wait!!!!!
True but Moto handles the updates for the X and they've been quick to update and fix so far :)
Edit: Almost forgot, Idk if it's been fixed but the 5S had the blue screen of death bug where the phone would restart at times. So I wouldn't say Apple is perfect either

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Well yeah but I meant that Moto does the updates for the X, not Google
And the good news is that Moto makes Droids so hopefully Verizon won't be so obstructive with Moto because of their past relationship. There seemed to be a lot of tension between Google and Verizon over the GNex updates.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey John I just remembered your post from a few days ago where you wanted a phone with great battery life and camera. Did you finally decide on one of these two?

Posted via Android Central App

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey John I just remembered your post from a few days ago where you wanted a phone with great battery life and camera. Did you finally decide on one of these two?

Honestly, still up in the air. They seem so similar, but they just run different operating systems. Really now it's just down to if I want to stay with Google or try something brand new to me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, still up in the air. They seem so similar, but they just run different operating systems. Really now it's just down to if I want to stay with Google or try something brand new to me.

No, I meant if you had decided that it was between these two rather than the others still being an option for you hehe
Relevant to this thread: Moto X has better battery and 5S has better camera

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I would try something new. iPhones have a great resale value if you decide you don't like it. If you don't like it you could use the iPhone until the Moto X2 comes out and sell the iPhone and probably net enough to cover the cost of the Moto X2.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did not read anyone else's response.

I own a Moto X. I love it, it is great. I think it is the best Android phone you can buy. The iPhone 5s is another great phone. You really cannot go wrong with either one. The key thing you need to decide is do you want to stick with Android, or do you want to try iOS. Android on modern hardware is a much, much better experience than what you are getting on your GNex. I personally like both. I really want an iPad Mini to have iOS 7. Personally, I prefer Android to iOS, but iOS 7 made that preference much smaller.

What I would do is buy the iPhone 5s and try it for two weeks and see how you like it. If you like it, keep it, if not return it for the Moto X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12