Can you recommend a good replacement phone?

Jeffrey99

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
The wife and I made the very unwise decision to trade in our iPhones for a Windows Lumia 928 about 4 months ago. We both hate the phones and wish we would have taken them back. I have a (2012) Nexus 7 and she's since bought a Nook so we are both looking at buying outright Andriod replacement phones. I was looking at the S3 and she wanted the S3 mini but both are still around $250 used and according to my local Verizon store, $599 new.

So are those are best bet or can someone recommend a Andriod phone that's a couple years old or older that we could get used in the $100-$150 range? We aren't worried about any special features, as long as we can share internet to our two tablets. Which I believe there are apps on Google Play to do that if the phone doesn't by default.

Thanks in Advance for all suggestions,
Jeffrey

Carajean206

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I made the same mistake. I think your best bet would either be the motto g or the motto x. I on the other hand opened another line and will pay extra until my other line ends in March.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I would recommend a nexus 4 its around 180-220 on swappa.com but the moto G $180 seems to be making waves for the low end enthusiast
Edit: Oh Verizon...hmmm let me get back to you on that.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Verizon haven't been allowing some Google phone on their network lately, kind of hard to find good deals. The recent Nexus phones and Moto G won't be compatible.

If you don't mind a little old, you can get a Verizon Galaxy Nexus on Swappa for around $100.

Getting a Galaxy Mini is a waste of money IMO, they realy are poor value for the cost. You should get the S3 for her instead, again good prices at Swappa. If you can wait for Samsung to update it to KitKat it's still a fast device with a very good camera, just needs some protection accessories.

Moto X is a very good choice, but you missed the recent event sales/coupons give out.

Sorry I'm not really up on my Verizon phones.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The wife and I made the very unwise decision to trade in our iPhones for a Windows Lumia 928 about 4 months ago. We both hate the phones and wish we would have taken them back. I have a (2012) Nexus 7 and she's since bought a Nook so we are both looking at buying outright Andriod replacement phones. I was looking at the S3 and she wanted the S3 mini but both are still around $250 used and according to my local Verizon store, $599 new.

So are those are best bet or can someone recommend a Andriod phone that's a couple years old or older that we could get used in the $100-$150 range? We aren't worried about any special features, as long as we can share internet to our two tablets. Which I believe there are apps on Google Play to do that if the phone doesn't by default.

Thanks in Advance for all suggestions,
Jeffrey

How much were you looking to spend?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
A capable phone about two years old, less than $150, probably isn't doable. On CDMA, I think I'd be looking at the Samsung Galaxy S2. Or I'd wait for the CDMA version of the Moto G.

Jeffrey99

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
We were looking at around $200. Think I'm gonna keep a eye out on eBay for a S3 and go from there. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a decent phone then do cheap and be right back in same place lol

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
We were looking at around $200. Think I'm gonna keep a eye out on eBay for a S3 and go from there. I'd rather spend a little more money and get a decent phone then do cheap and be right back in same place lol

The Moto G seems to be getting a lot of love and the Nexus 4 is a pretty good option as well

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones are selling on ebay. S3's are getting lower but not to the $100-$150 price range. At that price you are looking at something below an S3...GNex is still a good solid phone...I still have mine after 2 years....plan to keep it for a while longer....

Last edited:

Jeffrey99

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I recommend Swappa over eBay.

Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the heads up on Swappa. Looks to much less of a headache then eBay, especially with Verizon phones and the ESN's.

Think I may go with the Samsung Google Nexus. Or 1 Nexus and 1 S3 and let wife decide which she wants.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the heads up on Swappa. Looks to much less of a headache then eBay, especially with Verizon phones and the ESN's.

Think I may go with the Samsung Google Nexus. Or 1 Nexus and 1 S3 and let wife decide which she wants.

I really strongly think this is a bad idea. Particularly the Galaxy Nexus. Other than the lack of LTE, the Moto G is as good as or better than the Galaxy Nexus in every way AND has 18 months of official support left, where the Galaxy Nexus will not see 4.4 officially. I know the Moto G is a "low end" phone, but the Galaxy Nexus is 2 years old and the Galaxy S III is 18 months old. It won't be long before the SIII isn't officially supported either. I honestly think you will have a better experience, especially long term, on a brand new lower end phone like the Moto G than you will with 18-24 month old hardware.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the moto g even available on Verizon?
Just curious..

Sent from my ROOTED HTC DROID DNA - -

Not today, but it has been confirmed as coming to Verizon with January given as the target launch month.

EDIT: It is also plausible, though exceptionally unlikely, that LTE could potenially be added to the Verizon version, given Verizon's dislike of 3G only smartphones.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Not today, but it has been confirmed as coming to Verizon with January given as the target launch month.

EDIT: It is also plausible, though exceptionally unlikely, that LTE could potenially be added to the Verizon version, given Verizon's dislike of 3G only smartphones.

My understanding is that the Moto G is coming the Verizon's prepaid network and will only be 3G.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I think you would be better off spending a little more and getting the S3, the phone is a great phone and is receiving the latest updates. A few months ago I upgraded my daughters to S3 and they loved them. I personally would not go back further than the S3. Plus I assume you are going to be selling your current phones so can't you use that money to offset the price of you new phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Verizon announced that the Motorola Moto G is coming to their prepaid network, which does not have access to their 4G LTE network, in Q1 2014.

AFAIK, you can't use a Verizon prepaid device on a post paid account immediately.