WIFi hanging the phone's data on password sites, "you need to login" message intermittent.

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint HTC One, and use wifi a lot. There are places with open wifi that is truly open, and it just connects, everything is great. BUT, there are places where the wifi might technically be "open", but it requires a login of some sort. And if I don't or can't login, then data just hangs, with the phone wanting to connect to that open wifi, but not being able to, and won't switch back to 4G LTE.

An example is a client site I go to frequently. They have a guest wifi, but it requires a password to get in (so it's not really open, but it appears as an open wifi somehow). The phone locks on to that, and finds a strong WIFI signal. But of course there is no connection, because I can't get in. Another example is Starbucks, it requires you click "I agree" on the start page to get in. And until I do that, I have no wifi, and the phone will not switch to 4G or 3G. It just doesn't connect to anything on the Data side.

The second part of this is that SOMETIMES I get a message in the notifications area saying "you need to login to wifi", which I can click on, and it takes me to the login. Not too intrusive, a couple of clicks. But, a lot of times it doesn't give me a notification. So I hve to guess that's what's happening. Then I have to find a www.xx formatted website to try to log into to that will bring up Starbucks or the sites login screen. Note, it only works for http:\\XXX.xxx - Official .XXX Directory sites. Not m.xxx sites. And not HTTPS:\\XXX.xxx - Official .XXX Directory sites. only a non-encrypted XXX.xxx - Official .XXX Directory site works.

Is there something I can do to overcome these problems? If I just got the login in Notifications regularly, that would be ok. But somehow it's intermittent on all the phones I've tried.

SteveT

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: WIFi hanging the phone's data on password sites, "you need to login" message intermittent.

I don't have a direct answer for you, but what I do when I connect to a public wifi hotspot is routinely open the browser and see if I can access Google.com. A login page will typically pop up right away.

spthomas

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: WIFi hanging the phone's data on password sites, "you need to login" message intermittent.

Interestingly, sometimes I can still get to Google.com, even if I can't login to the site! Don't know how that happens! But Yahoo.com works. It's just a hassle to do this if there was a way to have the phone switch to 4G when an open site needs logging in, or always pop up a notification.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if Google popping up might be due to the page being cached in memory already. I'll often try to bring up bigger sites like nytimes.com as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463