Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pgg101
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Removes Vital Privacy Feature

EFF:

Yesterday, we published a blog post lauding an extremely important app privacy feature that was added in Android 4.3. That feature allows users to install apps while preventing the app from collecting sensitive data like the user's location or address book. After we published the post, several people contacted us to say that the feature had actually been removed in Android 4.4.2...

Default Re: Google Removes Vital Privacy Feature

Like the article states and others have mentioned this was never an advertised feature. It actually always needed additional software to access those items. 4.4 they tried to bury it further down and devs found it. 4.4.2 they have dug it even deeper.

The rule of thumb in general is that if an app is accessing something you don't want it to (which is listed when you install it) don't install it. Maybe shoot an email to the dev and ask them why they need access to it.

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Can't have your cake and eat it too. I buy a cheap (price wise) android tablet, I expect Google to monetize my use in some way. Nothing is free..even if Google gives the OS out to OEMS for free.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30
    Alik Malix likes this.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Its one thing to have Google monetising the use of the services they provide, which I dont have a problem with.

What I DO have a problem with are the endless and needless permissions which app developers demand of you before agreeing to installing their app. True, they tell you what permissions their app requires before installation but with no explanation as to why and with no control over what they do with those permissions afterwards.

Of course you have the option of not installing the app in the first place, but potentially thats going to leave you with a pretty empty app drawer! For anyone running less than 4.3 and unrooted which is the vast majority of global users you have no choice. At least with iOS if an app is trying to access your contacts, photos, or whatever without your permission at least you have the option to block it.

This has been on my mind for a while and this article which I came across a couple of days ago rather crystallised it, so if anyone can be bothered to read it thoughts please.
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post

What I DO have a problem with are the endless and needless permissions which app developers demand of you before agreeing to installing their app. True, they tell you what permissions their app requires before installation but with no explanation as to why and with no control over what they do with those permissions afterwards.
    Agreed. That's the one thing that really annoys me with apps. On a native BlackBerry 10 app, I have the ability to turn the various parts on and off. For example, if I don't feel the app needs to know my location, or device PIN, then I will turn that off. But with Android apps, it's all or nothing. All I can do is tell myself it's the cost of the app, and try not to think about it :/

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30
    Last edited by pgg101; 12-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.

If you're willing to root, this app can reimplement it:
    But once you're rooted, there are other options as well.

well...one good way to stay safe is checking if the permissions matches the purpose of the app...for example: a simple rss reader app asking for camera permissions! why would it need to access camera?

i check this in all the apps i install and i pick the ones with the least intrusive permissions or if i see the app rly need those permissions according to what it does!

but i do aggree this is a problem and some apps are just nuts on what they ask lol
    i'm always very careful with this and i don't regret!

i try to keep my phone clean, only with apps i RLY need and which permissions are most accetaple...but it does require a bit of time searching thru Google Play lol

sent from my Moto G <3