Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: Launchers

Anything is better than touchwiz but I've tried them all and have decided on Apex launcher. It's very smooth, polished and customizable enough for my needs. I even paid for the pro version for a few extra bucks to have a few extras but nothing really significant. Give it a shot because it's free and if you don't like it u can uninstall it.

Posted via Android Central App
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neonworm View Post
    My favorite is Nova Launcher Prime because it is smooth, fast, and very customizable.
    Agreed. Plus it's simple and clean which is exactly what I need.
    Putting out fire with gasoline

I'm using the Nexus 5 Google Now launcher on my Galaxy S2 running 4.1.2.

I am now running the Nova Launcher app on my 2012 Nexus 7 Tablet to see whether it will behave better than the stock launcher. I mentioned above that stock launcher has been stopping repeatedly since all of the Android system upgrades.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

newbie question please
    Will nova and apex still send notifications for missed calls, mail, text, ect to the top notification area and also the icons on my dock tray? I don't want to lose those if I go to a 3rd party launcher. Using att lg g2
    Thanks

Global Posts
    8,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by techie5 View Post
    newbie question please
    Will nova and apex still send notifications for missed calls, mail, text, ect to the top notification area and also the icons on my dock tray? I don't want to lose those if I go to a 3rd party launcher. Using att lg g2
    Thanks
    Yes, you'll still get notifications. Those are tied to the apps, not the launcher. Some launchers, however, have options to enable a missed count widget on the apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:

Nova Prime here. The tried them all, for the most part... Nova kept coming out on top. I purchased the prime version to get the extra goodies and haven't looked back.

It's been rock solid without any glitches or fc's... it's quick and very customizable... I'm running paranoid android 3.99 (4.3.1) and it plays well with the ui additions in PA.

The GEL launcher in KitKat is nice, other than the drain caused by the 'always listening' bits... you really need a Moto X (does the n5 have the low power bits?) for that to not be annoying...

Still, nova is tops

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Some launchers, however, have options to enable a missed count widget on the apps.
    Do you happen to know if Nova or Apex have that feature?

Do you happen to know if Nova or Apex have that feature?
    I don't know if it's what you mean but I use nova prime and can have a unread count on the app in the drawer or dock

sent from my note 2 rooted on 4.4 kitkat
    sent from big bad betty the awesome note 2 on 4.3.1 beanstalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by sheffsteve1988 View Post
    I don't know if it's what you mean but I use nova prime and can have a unread count on the app in the drawer or dock
    Yes that is what I mean. If the icons on the dock can still show my notifications.

Google Experience Launcher: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2506488

Looks clean. Feels clean. For the love of Google.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hendra Anggrian View Post
    Google Experience Launcher: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2506488

Looks clean. Feels clean. For the love of Google.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Can't figure out how to get it. Every link I downloaded was a dead end

Sent from my phone with the app.

Quote Originally Posted by kirksucks View Post
    Can't figure out how to get it. Every link I downloaded was a dead end

Not sure if you have our not but I think you need 4.4 for the GEL

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Lame. If I had 4.4 I feel like I wouldn't care.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I put Apex launcher on every phone I use, it just works best for how I use my phone.

Via my Nexus 4.
    Powered by Apple.

I'm now using action launcher. I paid for the pro version because of 1swipe. I feel action launcher pro gives me quicker access to the features of my phone.

newbie question please
    Thanks
    The top notification is the job of Android system. You enable and disable it within the app and/or in Settings->Apps-> "Show notifications" option for each app.

For dock tray, Nova needs to download the extra plugin "TeslaUnread" in addition to buying Nova Launcher Prime. Apex probably have something similar.

sent via tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Yes, you'll still get notifications. Those are tied to the apps, not the launcher. Some launchers, however, have options to enable a missed count widget on the apps.

SRKMagnus,

Sorry, but can you please tell me what "options to enable a missed count widget on the apps" means? What I'm after is this: Sometimes when I turn my 2012 Nexus 7 Tablet on, the launcher stops and then reboots. (This is a separate issue that I'm working on, so please don't get side tracked.) The point is that before the Tablet reboots, it'll post 7 or 8 Notifications which I never get to see because I guess it figures I've already dealt with them and it doesnt need to post them again after it reboots.

Can I get those back some how? Maybe by "enabling a missed count widget on the apps"? Or is that something totally different?

Thanks,
    Greg

Lame. If I had 4.4 I feel like I wouldn't care.

If you read the few posts above your, someone with 4.1.2 got the Google launcher working. You just didn't do it correctly. Try rooting the phone and putting those apps in the /systema/app folders, also delete the other duplicate Velvet or GmsCore if they're there.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    If you read the few posts above your, someone with 4.1.2 got the Google launcher working. You just didn't do it correctly. Try rooting the phone and putting those apps in the /systema/app folders, also delete the other duplicate Velvet or GmsCore if they're there.
    Yea that's way too much work just to see if I like it. Plus I'm not rooting. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisMan2 View Post
    SRKMagnus,

Sorry, but can you please tell me what "options to enable a missed count widget on the apps" means? What I'm after is this: Sometimes when I turn my 2012 Nexus 7 Tablet on, the launcher stops and then reboots. (This is a separate issue that I'm working on, so please don't get side tracked.) The point is that before the Tablet reboots, it'll post 7 or 8 Notifications which I never get to see because I guess it figures I've already dealt with them and it doesnt need to post them again after it reboots.

Can I get those back some how? Maybe by "enabling a missed count widget on the apps"? Or is that something totally different?

Thanks,
    Greg

missed count puts a little number with the total of missed notifications above the app icon...for example, if you missed 5 calls, there will be a little number above phone or if you didn't read 3 e-mails, will be a little number above gmail icon!

sent from my Moto G <3
    Thanked by:
    srkmagnus and StLouisMan2 like this.

I chose apex over nova for the options available in the free version. I appreciated that they offered so much in the free version I paid for the full version to support the dev. Nova's lack of free options rubbed me the wrong way.
    ^^^^^^^
    i too paid for Apex merely to support the dev. i was perfectly ok with the free version, which i liked even better than nova prime. can't remember why though. hahah.

i also think go launcher is sweet, but the developers have ruined it by all the bloatware that it became a turn off to me. in fact i'm waiting for them to screw up next browser, which i find is the best browser. go team will eventually mess with it, i know it.

Used a Aviate for all of 5 minutes before going back to nova don't see what all the hype is about tbh

Sent from my awesome note 2 on 4.4.2
    sent from big bad betty the awesome note 2 on 4.3.1 beanstalk

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Stock jellybean. I like stock android. Google knows best!

Sent from my N800 using Tapatalk
    StLouisMan2 likes this.

I just started using dodl launcher so far a fan of the simplicity

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast