1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ROM:Rooted

Default Plans Plans Plans iPad (No carrier) and SGS2 (Sprint)

So, I'm on AT&T, unlimited data. I'm planning on giving an iPad (wifi and cell) as a gift with an associated data plan to a person who's on Sprint and hates it (beside the point). I've been checking data plans and so far, no one comes close to just adding a line to my own plan with unlimited data at an additional $30/mo. I don't know how keen the other person with be knowing they are on my plan soooo, I looked at mobile hotspots, tethering, etc. Needless to say, I have a headache. Is it possible to tether an iPad to a Galaxy S2?

I'm looking for advice from the plan gurus out there, or alternatives to getting this iPad connected without mortgaging my house.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any ideas...any at all :-)
    Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die. Save a life.
    LA County Adoption List Humane Society ASPCA

Default Re: Plans Plans Plans iPad (No carrier) and SGS2 (Sprint)

I'm not sure if the S2 had a mobile hot spot though so maybe someone could jump in and confirm or deny that. If there is a hotspot available I know from a Coworker with an S3 on Sprint that its like $30 per month and i dont remember if its unlimited or not. Ill try and look into it more tomorrow morning but i have to get to bed. I assume you're very close to this person and you're willing to pick up the monthly fee for 2 years since it's on your contract.

There is always an option to buy on eBay, Craigslist or maybe see what you can get on Swappa. There's advantages (price and no contract) disadvantages (possibly no warranty) to this though

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

It all depends. Yes the s2 has a hotspot but if he or she wants to use it unlimited they have to root. Otherwise sprint caps the tethering data.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM

Thanks for chiming in E2K... The amazing part about adding the device to my plan with AT&T is that it doesn't change my contract. I can sign the device up as month to month for as long or as short as I like with unlimited data for $30/mo. I wanted to cover the data for at least a year (2 if I have to) on a network better than Sprint....seems the decent thing to do when giving a gift like this. The problem of course is, I'm not as technically experienced as many of you are, so I don't know all the possibilities for accessing the Internet from a tablet. Now I'm in the process of looking to see if it's possible to just buy a stand alone tethering data plan. That probably won't work, but I'm starting at ground level here ;-) I like the idea of a mobile hotspot and checked it out on Verizon. There goes the house, the car AND the dog!:-) I'll check it out on Sprint. If it's cheap enough, it might be worth it.

Thanks for the info...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Central n ohios best View Post
    It all depends. Yes the s2 has a hotspot but if he or she wants to use it unlimited they have to root. Otherwise sprint caps the tethering data.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    Hmmm....good point. I hadn't thought of that. I don't think the phone is rooted, but it certainly can be!:-) If I can just buy a tethering plan to add to the account on Sprint, that might be the answer. Thanks for the info. I'll go over to check on their tethering plans.

Quote Originally Posted by tunie View Post
    Thanks for chiming in E2K... The amazing part about adding the device to my plan with AT&T is that it doesn't change my contract. I can sign the device up as month to month for as long or as short as I like with unlimited data for $30/mo. I wanted to cover the data for at least a year (2 if I have to) on a network better than Sprint....seems the decent thing to do when giving a gift like this. The problem of course is, I'm not as technically experienced as many of you are, so I don't know all the possibilities for accessing the Internet from a tablet. Now I'm in the process of looking to see if it's possible to just buy a stand alone tethering data plan. That probably won't work, but I'm starting at ground level here ;-) I like the idea of a mobile hotspot and checked it out on Verizon. There goes the house, the car AND the dog!:-) I'll check it out on Sprint. If it's cheap enough, it might be worth it.

Thanks for the info...
    I believe you can do unlimited data on AT&T if your friend is tethering to your phone which seems unlikely. Otherwise I would imagine it's a separate data package and will be tiered. As for Verizon it's definitely tiered data which isn't really the best option either. Tablets can run through data quick especially if any video is being watched. Double check that you adding it to your AT&T as a separate data package is what you would want. You don't want it as a hotspot from your device.

Hmmm....good point. I hadn't thought of that. I don't think the phone is rooted, but it certainly can be!:-) If I can just buy a tethering plan to add to the account on Sprint, that might be the answer. Thanks for the info. I'll go over to check on their tethering plans.
    If u root then u don't even have to pay the extra 30 if u choose.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    I believe you can do unlimited data on AT&T if your friend is tethering to your phone which seems unlikely. Otherwise I would imagine it's a separate data package and will be tiered. As for Verizon it's definitely tiered data which isn't really the best option either. Tablets can run through data quick especially if any video is being watched. Double check that you adding it to your AT&T as a separate data package is what you would want. You don't want it as a hotspot from your device.

I will ask them again. They're not known for their knowledge of the plans or consistent messaging. I was thinking about tethering the iPad to the S2 and just paying Sprint for that part of the plan. I need to head over to Sprint to see if that's possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Will it be you or them paying the monthly fee for the iPad? If it is you, I say put it on whatever carrier or plan seems best to you. Not to sound harsh, but if your given a gift and the monthly service is paid for, you don't really have a right to be pick about who the provider is or who's plan it may be tied to. Now, if they are paying it, it definitely makes sense to make sure it is done in a way that is easy for them.

I will ask them again. They're not known for their knowledge of the plans or consistent messaging. I was thinking about tethering the iPad to the S2 and just paying Sprint for that part of the plan. I need to head over to Sprint to see if that's possible.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    I haven't dealt with AT&T in years but my experience then was very negative and I'm glad I don't have to talk to them. Every time was a very stressful and get no where experience.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Will it be you or them paying the monthly fee for the iPad? If it is you, I say put it on whatever carrier or plan seems best to you. Not to sound harsh, but if your given a gift and the monthly service is paid for, you don't really have a right to be pick about who the provider is or who's plan it may be tied to. Now, if they are paying it, it definitely makes sense to make sure it is done in a way that is easy for them.
    I doubt I'd hear anything but profuse thank you's for the gift. I just prefer to make it good all the way around. To each his/her own I guess...