1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Please help. New Goophone i5C has no icons...just black screen with Chinese text

Hi
    TBH my kids have two Android Tablets but this is the first time I have needed external support. So apologies in advance for my first post being ...needy!

I am a UK resident and have just received a GooPhone i5C from the 'official' GooPhone site which I bought for my daughter (at her request, I hasten to add) for Christmas. I have just opened up the box to test it and make sure it would work ok on Christmas day. Unfortunately, what I was greeted with when I switched on the phone was a black screen with chinese text in blue. No matter which buttons I press I cannot switch it off, and using the volume up/down buttons just cycle the menus.

Being somewhat un tech savvy, this appears to be some kind of Chinese Dos-alike boot menu (well if it was on a PC)
    I haven't inserted a sim card yet as I will need to cut down her current sim to fit the micro/nano slot.

I have contacted GooPhone via email but await a reply. I just wondered if the community here may be able to help out a little quicker.

Any help or ponters would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Please help. New Goophone i5C has no icons...just black screen with Chinese text

My first reaction was, "Is this guy trolling???"

But then I searched for GooPhone, and sure enough it actually exists LOL.

My advice would be to never buy Chinese knockoffs again. This is why you research before you buy a product, instead of listening to a recommendation from your daughter.

Default Re: Please help. New Goophone i5C has no icons...just black screen with Chinese text

I also felt badly about your purchase. Can you return it for a refund?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the sentiments But please do not underestimate the power of a 15 year old daughter's pleas....(I always research my purchases...and I knew that there was a risk...)
    But I know that there is a sizeable part of the Android community that have Goophones and, indeed, the market share is increasing. So, kind words aside, I am kind of hoping that a Goophone user may have some insight. I have now heard from Goophone and they have told me how to do a factory reset. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hoping that this will work.

However, if anyone else reading this has had a similar experience and managed to resolve it then I would greatly appreciate anything you might have to say.

Thanks