Replacement for iPod?

1upLuigi

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
What android devices would be good to replace an iPod? I'm looking for basic functionality, just to play music, expandable storage for said music, and longest battery life
I would also consider non android devices such as other dedicated mp3 players. I'm just tired of dealing with iTunes headaches.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
How much storage did your iPod have? For a little less, you could get the Moto G. $179 for 8GB or $199 for 16GB, non-expandable but then again, neither was the iPod. Great battery life as well :D

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
What android devices would be good to replace an iPod? I'm looking for basic functionality, just to play music, expandable storage for said music, and longest battery life
I would also consider non android devices such as other dedicated mp3 players. I'm just tired of dealing with iTunes headaches.

There aren't many devices out there running android out there that are dedicated for mp3's only. You can try the sony Walkman Z or sony Walkman F. Otherwise, you can get a low end phone for music purposes like the sony Xperia line, or even the Motorola G . What is your price budget?

rauburg

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
First post here. I had the same issue. I was hanging onto an iPod Touch for working out and travel. Basically just used it with Pandora, Tune-in radio recordings, and my iTunes library. The iPod died and I thought about a low end Android phone to replace it.

Target this week is running the Kyocera Hydro; a Boost Mobile 3g phone with a micro SD slot on sale for $9.99. The phone came with Android 4.0.4 and I think that it can be upgraded, I just haven't had time for that. I got a 16 gig card for another 20 bucks. I have no intentions of using the phone and I figured that this was a good bet for a low bucks Touch replacement. Worst case, I figured, is that I got a spare Android charger for 10 dollars.

My impressions; the external speaker is lousy but the phone sounds fine with head phones. Then again I am no audiophile and results may vary. Pandora works fine and so does Tune-in. I had previously ported my iTunes to Google Play music and this has been the only issue with my plan so far. I am having trouble syncing my Play Music library to the phone. It starts the sync, makes it part way and then loops back to 0%. With each cycle it seems to get farther along and it has gotten as far as 45.%

I can't tell you much else. I bought the phone on Sunday, did a quick test of Pandora, thought that I synchronized my Google Play music, and downloaded 6 hours of music from Tune-in. I headed to Big Bend Monday morning and listened to the Tune-in recording with an external speaker. It worked great and I was completely satisfied. On the trip home last night I realized that my Play Music had not synchronized. I discovered that I had not pinned each of my playlists to download to the phone. I did that and tried to sync again. I have been working on that today and I am confident that this is a Play Music server overload and that ultimately all of my music will download and that my goals will be met.

All in all, I am pretty sure that this will work for me for what I am looking for. Then again, results may vary.

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Just get an MP3 player, there is no need to pay for s bunch of features you're not going to use.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Depend on if you mean to use its external speaker or headphone jack only. If you want an Android phone with great speaker, than the HTC One is best, although expensive for your purpose.

If you mean headphone jack to lineout or headphone, you can consider a used-Samsung Vibrant or Captivate, which go for pretty cheap. It have great sound quality and microSD support, just stick in a 64GB microSD and load your lossless files. I wrote about it's sound quality here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463