someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
just to clarify
uploadfromtaptalk1347064966971.jpg

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have their true unlimited plan where supposedly they don't throttle the speed, but I've noticed that when I'm using a lot of data my speeds slow down.

Sublimewulf

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I did about 163 GB last month. HSPA+ is faster in my area than LTE is in Chicago. I didn't see any throttling. Occasional speed drops during peak hours, but nothing to complain about. I average 8 - 15 down.

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
2G speeds are so bad I don't even count them as an Internet signal
It takes more than like 30 seconds to load one webpage! It's useless

Posted via the Android Central App with my Galaxy S5

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Throttle Speeds: What Are They? What Is Edge?

IIRC "Edge" is a 2G data protocol. When T-Mob throttles a 4G-LTE account, they don't just throttle it down to 4G (HSPDA+) or 3G speeds, you throttle you down to their oldest slowest data network, "EDGE". They're not the only carrier doing this, IIRC Simple Mobile and Straight Talk do that as well. The good news is that EDGE equipment is scheduled for upgrade to 4G-LTE, so it will go away in the next couple of years. (AT&T says their EDGE networks will be shut down in 2016.)

And by 4G-LTE I mean the US "LTE-ish" speed, which is a fraction of what 4G-LTE is in other countries, but that's a whole other subject.

EDGE supposedly has speeds somewhere between about 9 and 60 kbps, depending on the implementation. Slow? With today's hopelessly bloated web pages, everything is slow.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

IIRC "Edge" is a 2G data protocol. When T-Mob throttles a 4G-LTE account, they don't just throttle it down to 4G (HSPDA+) or 3G speeds, you throttle you down to their oldest slowest data network, "EDGE". They're not the only carrier doing this, IIRC Simple Mobile and Straight Talk do that as well. The good news is that EDGE equipment is scheduled for upgrade to 4G-LTE, so it will go away in the next couple of years. (AT&T says their EDGE networks will be shut down in 2016.)

And by 4G-LTE I mean the US "LTE-ish" speed, which is a fraction of what 4G-LTE is in other countries, but that's a whole other subject.

EDGE supposedly has speeds somewhere between about 9 and 60 kbps, depending on the implementation. Slow? With today's hopelessly bloated web pages, everything is slow.

So there will be no such thing as throttle then?

Posted via Android Central App

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

I expect there will still be a way to throttle, that can be implemented on their internet servers in software as well. But there's still a lot of 2G equipment that will be tombstoned. Most of the folks who took ATT phones over to TMob are getting their data service on 2G (the main band they share in common) so who knows, maybe TMob will keep that up.

Cell phone companies in the US have a solid history of saying "Impossible" "Never happen" "We can't do that" "We can do that" and then three or four years later, doing whatever they said was impossible. ASk anyone who still has a legacy true unlimited data account now. Sure, unlimited, but if they replace their equipment and upgrade to 4G-LTE, the plan goes away with the old phone. Clever, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20