T-Mobile throttle speeds?

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Every time I ask I get a different answer and I suspect there's a reason for that.

If I use T-Mobiles new "unlimited, but we'll throttle it" plans, after the initial 4G-ish bundle is used up, what speed or service do they reduce the data to?

T-Mob said they'd drop from 4GLTE to plain 4G H-whatever+ speed. Then, another rep said LTE drops to 3G. And then another said it drops to EDGE/2G ?!

Which might be correct, because the folks reselling T-Mobile "unlimited but throttled" data over at Walmart said the same thing, that it would drop to 2G/3G speeds once the LTE limit was reached. Seems like everyone has a different answer which usually means the worst one is true.

I give T-Mob great credit for ending the subsidy nonsense and unbundled phones, but I just wish they'd figure out what they were selling, and then train all their staff to give the same answers to the same questions. As Daffy Duck once said, "What a bunch of maroons!"

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah bro its edge speeds. That's the main reason why I'm on the 70$ month plan. I can't do america online speeds lol.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It drops to Edge speed. You usually get around 100-128kbps, up to 160kbps if you get full bar. It's possible to check email and navigate with that speed. So 10 - 20 kilobytes per seconds.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, all. Not looking to stream on the phone, primarily want to be able to look up local destinations, get driving instructions, mundane things like that which shouldn't need a lot of data. Then again, I've seen GoogleMaps go out to lunch while trying to do that on a 4G system as well. But throttling all the way back to EDGE speeds....I guess that proves the "new" T-Mobile isn't quite as generous as they're trying to make themselves look, either. I would have thought all the EDGE equipment was being obsoleted and scrapped by now but even remote third-world countries probably don't want it either.<G>

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, all. Not looking to stream on the phone, primarily want to be able to look up local destinations, get driving instructions, mundane things like that which shouldn't need a lot of data. Then again, I've seen GoogleMaps go out to lunch while trying to do that on a 4G system as well. But throttling all the way back to EDGE speeds....I guess that proves the "new" T-Mobile isn't quite as generous as they're trying to make themselves look, either. I would have thought all the EDGE equipment was being obsoleted and scrapped by now but even remote third-world countries probably don't want it either.
It's not new, it's always been like that. It's more generous than the other 3 carriers, you pay less for data and actually get to continue to use it when the high speed bandwidth is up. With other carriers you either stop dead or get charged if you continue.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
It's not new, it's always been like that. It's more generous than the other 3 carriers, you pay less for data and actually get to continue to use it when the high speed bandwidth is up. With other carriers you epithet stop dead or get charged of you continue.

sent via tapatalk

what he said

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen a drop in speed. I still do speed tests from time to time and still get outstanding results.

I haven't streamed movies yet, plan on getting Netflix in 2014. Am I not seeing something? I am only at 9gb of data, but this is my first month with tmobile. And I have to say that I don't see a slow down in speed from the first gb of data to the 9th gb of data.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the $70 plan. Last month I topped off at 11 gb of data and never had a throttle problem.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

They don't throttle the $70 plan. That is, in fact, the entire point of being on the $70 plan. It is truly unlimitted. The other plans come with 250 MB or 2 GB of 4G speeds then you are throttled down to Edge speeds.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
They don't throttle the $70 plan. That is, in fact, the entire point of being on the $70 plan. It is truly unlimitted. The other plans come with 250 MB or 2 GB of 4G speeds then you are throttled down to Edge speeds.
I don't have the $70 plan myself since I have home internet, but I think they do throttle it after 10,000GB, but it's not possible to use up that much bandwidth even with current T-Mobile LTE speed.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have the $70 plan myself since I have home internet, but I think they do throttle it after 10,000GB, but it's not possible to use up that much bandwidth even with current T-Mobile LTE speed.

I think you can use more. If it wasn't for the extra 2.5gb of hotspot data, I would have had 13gb of bandwidth used.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

If it is literally impossible to reach the data cap, does the data cap actually exist? o_O

Dallas Texas

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Its 10 GB not 10,000. And YES they throttle it to a snail pace when you go over that. I use my tablet quite often via my T-Mobile phone (wifi tether) to watch CNN or movies. And when it gets throttled, I park it until the next month. They even manage to slow the phone down when I'm connected to wifi at home (once its been throttled).

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I've also seen over 10gb and not had a problem. Also, I'm pretty certain that your carrier physically cannot and will not affect your Wi-Fi connection. It is an impossibility as it is an entirely different radio... it wouldn't be legal if even it was possible!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Its 10 GB not 10,000. And YES they throttle it to a snail pace when you go over that. I use my tablet quite often via my T-Mobile phone (wifi tether) to watch CNN or movies. And when it gets throttled, I park it until the next month. They even manage to slow the phone down when I'm connected to wifi at home (once its been throttled).

They don't throttle after 10. I've seen people with over 100GB and not having any issues with speeds

Posted via Android Central App