Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gabbott
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should't 3gb of ram be enough for the note 3

With 3 gb of ram, I would have assumed that I would have no problem/fear of ever running out of ram.

I use the active apps manager widget to kill apps and to also clear the ram. Recently I have been noticing that I am getting closer and closer to the 2.38gb ceiling. Once I clear all the apps, it drops to like 1.59gb.

I had to get rid of my weather/clock app because I thought that was the problem but now it doesn't seem so.

Anyone having these issues?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Should't 3gb of ram be enough for the note 3

Keep in mind Android like to have the RAM full as opposed to Windows likes having it on standby.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

And that's a good thing? So if I start a game or app that might be ram intensive, then I won't get a message like "not enough ram"?

Just learned something new today I guess. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by willanaya View Post
    And that's a good thing? So if I start a game or app that might be ram intensive, then I won't get a message like "not enough ram"?

Just learned something new today I guess. Thanks.

It'll just drop something that is low priority to make room. Android has pretty good RAM management.

Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Are you noticing any issues as a result of the high ram? If not, then no need to worry as Android will do what it needs to keep the OS running smooth. I wouldn't worry much about the ram usage unless there's issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Are you noticing any issues as a result of the high ram? If not, then no need to worry as Android will do what it needs to keep the OS running smooth. I wouldn't worry much about the ram usage unless there's issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    No issues yet. Just when I go to clear the ram it seems that the ram usage seems to get higher and higher everyday.

I guess if it ain't broke....

It is a difference in how Android handles RAM vs how Windows handles RAM. Windows does not like to kill programs that are in RAM, because it assumes you are actively using the program. Android on the other hand likes to keep as many programs as possible in RAM so that you can quickly resume them when you need them. If you need more RAM, Android will dump low priority programs to make more room. Don't worry about it, this is simply how Android handles RAM. If your phone had 6 GB of RAM, it would keep it as close to full as possible.