1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Default Droid Maxx or Moto X?

Which one do you prefer? My contact has ended and I am coming from a Gnex. All I really want is a better camera and great battery life. I've narrowed it down to these two. If I can get something that lasts me a whole day with LTE and sync services always running, that would be great. I prefer the hardware customization and the look of the Moto X, but I like the larger display of the Maxx. The Maxx seems just a tad too heavy for my personal preference though and the Ultra's body feels too glossy for me.

Default Re: Droid Maxx or Moto X?

If I stick with Verizon, I'm definitely getting a Maxx (although I'm starting to hear the siren song of T-Mobile and the Nexus 5). I actually found the Maxx to feel surprisingly light--in the store, it feels much lighter than my original Razr Maxx. The screen isn't much larger than the X, but it just seems much bigger with practical usage.

Global Posts
    5,609 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Hey John. I thought you had narrowed it down to the X and the 5S
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Ha ya I did! But then I just realized I would be more comfortable with Android than iOS for 2 years. It would be fun to experiment with iOS, but looking at the phones today in Best Buy and Verizon started to sway my decision.

Global Posts
    5,609 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Makes sense
    To answer your question, I'd go with the X. Only benefit I see with the Maxx is better battery life but the X should easily be able to last a full day

droid maxx

i'm digging my new moto x. battery is fine for me, but sure wish (who doesn't?) i had the maxx battery.

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

I debated this for a long time as well. I went with the X. Ultimately, I wanted to try MotoMaker and I also had a feeling that the X would get updates faster than the DROID line. After all, the Moto X is bigger than the DROID line, overall, and I assume Motorola would put it's focus there. So far I've been right.

In regards to battery life, I couldn't be happier. If I'm home and on WiFi, mine routinely lasts 36 hours. On 4G, it will last 24 hours with light use. The other day I plugged in after 15 hours off the charger with a little over 3 hours of screen on time and about 15% battery left. I'm impressed.

The Maxx is awesome, if MotoMaker and updates don't matter that much to you, you should get it. I will say that it's heavy. I'll also say that personally, I didn't want physical buttons. Again, personal preference.

The Maxx would probably last me 3 days on a charge, which is way awesome and a win any way you cut it. But at the end of the day, updates are a priority for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Might I ask why have you narrowed it down to these two phones? I mean there are many more great phones out there.
    Last edited by Foramex; 12-28-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Grammar Error
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foramex View Post
    Might I ask why have you narrowed it down to these two phones? I mean there are many more great phones out there.
    Definitely. I have to stay on Verizon first of all. I'm not a fan of Touchwiz or LG's overlay on the G2. I want a phone that feels good in the hand without it being the glossy plastic as well. The HTC One was a consideration, but the 4 megapixel camera kinda turns me away (coming from a Gnex, I want more detail in my photos). I've heard great things about the Moto X, and since they're pretty close cousins I am considering the Maxx as well.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

If I had to choose one of these I would take the Moto X...
    Mind you I'm not a fan of Verizon's over-lay, and I think Moto X suffered less from it, but other then that it's a Google phone, guaranteeing quick software updates (already proved by KitKat), and since I don't think the Maxx showed any big improvement, I really like the Moto X always-listening mode, so I guess that would be the turning-point for me...
    So basically I would recommend you go with the moto x.
    P.S. If you change your mind about these two phones, the G2 is pretty nice and the phone is perfectly usable without even touching all the add-ons

Quote Originally Posted by cjohn4043 View Post
    Definitely. I have to stay on Verizon first of all. I'm not a fan of Touchwiz or LG's overlay on the G2. I want a phone that feels good in the hand without it being the glossy plastic as well. The HTC One was a consideration, but the 4 megapixel camera kinda turns me away (coming from a Gnex, I want more detail in my photos). I've heard great things about the Moto X, and since they're pretty close cousins I am considering the Maxx as well.
    I would go for the X. Battery life should be lengthened by the excellent notifications system. Regarding your comment on the HTC One, unless you are planning on printing your pictures >A4 size I wouldn't worry about the fact it's only 4MP. It really is a superb camera, very fast startup, incredibly fast capture, brilliant low-light capability and the excellent zoe and highlight features really are impressive. It's the best camera on a phone I have used (had 3 iPhones, GNote, Galaxy S3 etc). Maybe take a look on the HTC One forum, theres a thread with image on there.

But between those two, the Moto X. It is a brilliant phone, don't understand why it hasn't been a smash seller.

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Based on the responses in this thread, you can see that the answer is subjective. To be truthful, you really can't go wrong with either device. Both are equally good and your decision to go with one over the other won't disappoint and both should get you through the contract term. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

Went with the Moto X! Thanks for the help guys. I've seriously been thinking about this for a month. I ordered one with a navy blue back, silver accents and a black front. They say it should be here on the 6th (ordered it yesterday), but I sure do hope it's sooner than that. Looking forward to it!

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Which one do you prefer?
    Moto X. No Contest.

Ideally I'd say go Nexus 5, but the Moto X is a good second choice. Maybe the G2, but only if you are going to ROM it, as LG's skin is awful. The G2 (and Nexus 5 for that matter) has a better camera than either of them.

Global Posts
    5,609 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Went with the Moto X! Thanks for the help guys. I've seriously been thinking about this for a month. I ordered one with a navy blue back, silver accents and a black front. They say it should be here on the 6th (ordered it yesterday), but I sure do hope it's sooner than that. Looking forward to it!
    Glad you finally came to a decision
    Let us know how you like it

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Considering the stories I'm hearing about the KitKat update bricking some Droid Ultra/Maxx's, it definitely sounds like the Moto X was a good choice!

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Between the 2 I'd take the Moto X. However the Moto X couldn't rip my HTC One out of my hands personally! :P
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!