Will Jelly Bean become the new Gingerbread?

Trehanx12

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This year Jelly Bean finally dethroned Gingerbread and became the most used Android version. Many phones are sticking with either 4.1, 4.2 or 4.3, without being able to upgrade to Kit Kat. Do you think this version will become the new Gingerbread, and dominate the market for the next 2.5 years? Or will Kit Kat and further versions take over?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say. KitKat is geared to run on lower speced devices, so the possibility of cheaper phones coming out with 4.4 is better. But that isn't necessarily how OEMs work either.
Take Samsung for a moment. They have had 4.1, and 4.3 for some time now, and they are probably going to be putting that on whatever they can. If they want to put 4.4 on, they have to tune it to TouchWiz, make sure it works, etc. A lot of work for dirt cheap phones. Samsung will probably test and make sure TW will run 4.4 smoothly before launching it on any 3rd rate device. (Thus essentially validating your point)

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Was there a reason why so many OEMs stuck with gingerbread despite there being so many newer OS versions out there?

Right now, adoption seems to be fairly evenly spread out. What might cause people to stick with jelly bean over everything else?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Was there a reason why so many OEMs stuck with gingerbread despite there being so many newer OS versions out there?

Right now, adoption seems to be fairly evenly spread out. What might cause people to stick with jelly bean over everything else?

I think as Golfdriver97 said, it saves money for the OEMs to use whichever Android version they have built their own UI around. Each time they adopt a new version it costs them money to adapt their UI.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

ICS/JB would not run well on low end hardware, so they used Gingerbread for low end devices. KitKat is meant to address this by running well with as little as 512 MB of RAM. For that reason alone, I do not think that Jelly Bean will be the new Gingerbread, I think KitKat will.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
ICS/JB would not run well on low end hardware, so they used Gingerbread for low end devices. KitKat is meant to address this by running well with as little as 512 MB of RAM. For that reason alone, I do not think that Jelly Bean will be the new Gingerbread, I think KitKat will.

I wonder how many updates the note 3 will get?

Posted via Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I think with there being so many versions of JB it easily could be what is used on lower end devices for awhile. 4.3 I don't think we will see much of other than on some of the older flagship devices that will be updated to that rather than 4.4. You can look and see, many of the low end devices are coming out with 4.1 or 4.2 installed on them and most likely will be what they stay on for the life of the phone.

BinaryJuice

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't think KitKat will do as well as Jelly Bean, it won't be Honeycomb, but it will have a shorter lifespan than Jelly Bean and maybe even ICS. As for Jelly Bean becoming the next Gingerbread, yes I do believe that will be the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze