Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't switch to android at the moment, what the best options?

So, right now I can't really switch to a android phone. I have a 5S on the ATT next program and I can't switch to a android phone either until I pay the iPhone off fully or unless I get a off contract phone like the nexus 5 or moto G.

But what are my options right now so I do t become further entrenched in apple land? Stop buying apps on my iPhone and ipad? Get a moto g and use it because it's cheaper than a nexus 5, or just save for a nexus 5? I already own a nexus 7, so just start buying apps on that instead?

The thing with apple is I think they make solid products, it's just I believe right now at this point in my life i don't really want to feel trapped in a ecosystem. I'd rather have something with a few issues instead of a lack of excitement. And I'm continuing to find android to be more exciting than iOS. I still think ios has more beautiful apps, but I think it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Can't switch to android at the moment, what the best options?

You have a great phone in your iPhone 5s, you need not feel dissatisfied. I certainly wouldn't ever ever ever ever consider trading it for the likes of a Moto G. The Nexus 5 is a great phone and if you can get one I think you'd be quite happy with it. These are just my opinions. I NEVER like the cheapest/lowest-cost options like the Moto G as I feel you give up too much of what makes phones desirable when compared to adequate options like the Nexus 5 or Moto X. Your mileage may vary.
    Live long and prosper.

petaf and ffejjj like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    You have a great phone in your iPhone 5s, you need not feel dissatisfied. I certainly wouldn't ever ever ever ever consider trading it for the likes of a Moto G. The Nexus 5 is a great phone and if you can get one I think you'd be quite happy with it. These are just my opinions. I NEVER like the cheapest/lowest-cost options like the Moto G as I feel you give up too much of what makes phones desirable when compared to adequate options like the Nexus 5 or Moto X. Your mileage may vary.
    It just feels like the longer I own it, the likely hood I won't be able to switch away to android when I can due to app investment in iOS and etc.

It's like, if I have a iPhone and ipad then I might as well get a Apple TV, then a MacBook, then start buying all my content through iTunes, then I'll be stuck with apple forever.

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I don't feel that way. I am quite heavily invested in iOS with a lot of iOS apps. One day, I may add another iOS device and use some of my old apps. I love Android and have no regrets whatsoever, in any universe, for leaving iOS though.
    Live long and prosper.

tgp

Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts

I agree. The iPhone 5s is one of the best phones currently available. You're not making a sacrifice. I would at least ride out the terms of your Next program. Unless you think you'll never return to iOS once you leave, you won't necessarily be wasting money buying apps. Although come to think of it, you might spend a lot more than I do! I've never bought a WP or iOS app, but I use WP and iPhone less than I use Android. And I've probably spent less than $25 on Android apps. So even a full investment in all 3 ecosystems for me is a minor amount.

My motto is "Never say never!" Who knows; in 5 years Android might be dead and iOS will have 80% market share. Then you'd wish you wouldn't have bought into Android's ecosystem. Or WP might be big. Or Jolla. Or Tizen. Or Blackberry (again). The mobile industry changes very fast.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
    dancing-bass likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I don't feel that way. I am quite heavily invested in iOS with a lot of iOS apps. One day, I may add another iOS device and use some of my old apps. I love Android and have no regrets whatsoever, in any universe, for leaving iOS though.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just have a fear of wasting money you know? But I guess since the apps are always there, it's not a waste because I could go back to it one day.

I kinda have a all or nothing mindset. As in, I need to go all apple or all android and never the twain shall meet. But maybe I need to change that mindset and instead focus on which is better for my needs and continually adapt and adjust to that. It's just a pain because apps are cross compatible between ecosystems, you know? There is such a thing as ecosystem trapping.

If you're looking to jump into android just post your iPhone on ebay. Get what you owe then jump

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I just have a fear of wasting money you know? But I guess since the apps are always there, it's not a waste because I could go back to it one day.

I kinda have a all or nothing mindset. As in, I need to go all apple or all android and never the twain shall meet. But maybe I need to change that mindset and instead focus on which is better for my needs and continually adapt and adjust to that. It's just a pain because apps are cross compatible between ecosystems, you know? There is such a thing as ecosystem trapping.
    I can comprehend the all-or-nothing mindset but I think you could be missing the best of both if you go that way.
    Live long and prosper.

So, right now I can't really switch to a android phone. I have a 5S on the ATT next program and I can't switch to a android phone either until I pay the iPhone off fully or unless I get a off contract phone like the nexus 5 or moto G.

But what are my options right now so I do t become further entrenched in apple land? Stop buying apps on my iPhone and ipad? Get a moto g and use it because it's cheaper than a nexus 5, or just save for a nexus 5? I already own a nexus 7, so just start buying apps on that instead?

The thing with apple is I think they make solid products, it's just I believe right now at this point in my life i don't really want to feel trapped in a ecosystem. I'd rather have something with a few issues instead of a lack of excitement. And I'm continuing to find android to be more exciting than iOS. I still think ios has more beautiful apps, but I think it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
    Note 3

Posted via Android Central App

You could get a Nexus 4 in good condition for about the same price as Moto G.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Well what I suggest you do is try out some Google services like Google Now, Google Music, YouTube, etc, and use apps that are well supported on Android, that way when you get an Android phone it'll be easy to migrate over.

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    My motto is "Never say never!" Who knows; in 5 years Android might be dead and iOS will have 80% market share
    Sorry haha I just can't see that. Android have lots of open aspect about it like linux, it can be forked and continued to be develop. I can understand Apple and Microsoft joining forces to go on a litigation war Google, but Google have some partners as well, I don't think Google is going anywhere for a while.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,764 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Sorry haha I just can't see that. Android have lots of open aspect about it like linux, it can be forked and continued to be develop. I can understand Apple and Microsoft joining forces to go on a litigation war Google, but Google have some partners as well, I don't think Google is going anywhere for a while.
    To be honest I don't see it either. I'm just saying that the mobile industry moves & changes very fast, and it's impossible to accurately predict several years out. 5 years ago I don't think anyone saw Android running on 4 out of every 5 smartphones. And 3 years ago I think Microsoft expected to have much more than 4% market share with Windows Phone.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

If you switch to android won't you feel trapped in the android ecosystem? Next thing you know you have to buy a tablet, google tv, google glasses. You'll have to switch to windows to untrap yourself.

Or just get whatever best suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by barth2 View Post
    If you switch to android won't you feel trapped in the android ecosystem? Next thing you know you have to buy a tablet, google tv, google glasses. You'll have to switch to windows to untrap yourself.

Or just get whatever best suits your needs.
    I can't see it that way, because Android support lots of open source standards and choices. From my experience, it's much easier to migrate your data out, so if you want to leave you can take your stuff with you. If you use a proprietary app that lock you in that's a different story. I don't think you can be trapped in Android since its not designed for that purpose, but you certainly can be trapped in TouchWiz or Sense in a way.

Normally I would say trash the iPhone and get an Android, but that's not realistic in the least bit. Hold on To the 5s for now, and switch to an Android phone that YOU LIKE . Pay no attention toy opinion or anyone else's. Battery what you have it won't be good enough for someone. I'm happy with my optimus f3. It has all the things I want at least 4.1, and a dual core snapdragon 400, a gig of ram, gorilla glass, LTE, NFC, and a bog battery. It's on virgin mobile. And I got it for $99 off contract. It's good enough for me.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

The iPhone 5S is a superb phone, honestly just put android out of your mind and start enjoying using your phone. If in the future you want to move across to android it won't be a problem. I had three iPhones in succession then moved to android (for screen size) but I still use a MacBook. You must be barmy if you think a Moto G or Nexus 5 will make you happier than a 5S - as good as they are they aren't premium products like the 5S.

Learn to love your iPhone! It's a really fantastic phone! Get use form its great features such as the camera and its modes, browse the store for all the great apps and stop looking at the grass next door thinking it's greener.

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by robsawalker View Post
    The iPhone 5S is a superb phone, honestly just put android out of your mind and start enjoying using your phone. If in the future you want to move across to android it won't be a problem. I had three iPhones in succession then moved to android (for screen size) but I still use a MacBook. You must be barmy if you think a Moto G or Nexus 5 will make you happier than a 5S - as good as they are they aren't premium products like the 5S.

Learn to love your iPhone! It's a really fantastic phone! Get use form its great features such as the camera and its modes, browse the store for all the great apps and stop looking at the grass next door thinking it's greener.
    Good advice.

What does "barmy" mean? I love these phrases from half-way around the planet. :-)

g2
    Live long and prosper.

Uncle Reemus likes this.

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

I NEVER like the cheapest/lowest-cost options like the Moto G as I feel you give up too much of what makes phones desirable when compared to adequate options like the Nexus 5 or Moto X.
    May I ask do you mean desirable from an aesthetic or functional point pf view?
    Putting out fire with gasoline

What do you mean the Nexus 5 isn't as premium as the 5S? In what way? O_o

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

FYI: the Nexus 5 is faster, just as powerful, better screen, better battery, better camera, better everything except native apps. For that, there are endless choices in the play store, plus it's not locked in, SMS works, everything JUST WORKS ON THE NEXUS 5, as well or BETTER as on the 5S. Prove that wrong.

Thanked by:
    petaf likes this.

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    May I ask do you mean desirable from an aesthetic or functional point pf view?
    Performance and build quality

g2
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but, you can pick up up a BlackBerry Z10 for under $200 now. Install the leaked 10.2.1 OS, then you can install the Amazon Android Market and also SNAP (Google Play). You login in using your Amazon or Google account, then you can download Android apps. Then when you switch to an Android device, you'll be able to re-download the apps you had purchased while using the Zed. 4.2.2 runtime so most apps should work.

Z10 is a good device. Expandable SD Memory to 64gb. NFC to make mobile purchases. 4.2" 356ppi LCD screen. A much better virtual keyboard than the iPhone.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but, you can pick up up a BlackBerry Z10 for under $200 now. Install the leaked 10.2.1 OS, then you can install the Amazon Android Market and also SNAP (Google Play). You login in using your Amazon or Google account, then you can download Android apps. Then when you switch to an Android device, you'll be able to re-download the apps you had purchased while using the Zed. 4.2.2 runtime so most apps should work.

Z10 is a good device. Expandable SD Memory to 64gb. NFC to make mobile purchases. 4.2" 356ppi LCD screen. A much better virtual keyboard than the iPhone.

Hi, do you mean it's used for under $200?

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Hi, do you mean it's used for under $200?

Yes, sorry ebay has them used for under $200. You can buy new directly from BlackBerry for $400.

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    Yes, sorry ebay has them used for under $200. You can buy new directly from BlackBerry for $400.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast