1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking to replace iPad Mini (1st version)

I have a mini, which I love but feels underpowered after the 7.0 upgrade (thanks Apple). I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tablet and am considering an iPad Air but am having heartburn over the price. I'm considering Android, but am worried about it feeling inadequate compared to the iPad. Here's what I'm looking for:

A tablet big enough (with enough resolution) to comfortably read magazines without a lot of zooming (biggest complaint against Mini)
    Durable tablet with decent screen durability
    32GB or more storage
    Must run the following apps well:

Next Issue (reviews show this to be a problem on Android)
    Zite
    AT&T U-verse app well
    Evernote
    Facebook
    Twitter and Twitter substitutes

And, of course, must be a decent cost reduction from iPad Air/Mini 32 GB.

Global Posts
    2,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Looking to replace iPad Mini (1st version)

Quote Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
    I have a mini, which I love but feels underpowered after the 7.0 upgrade (thanks Apple). I'm looking to upgrade to a larger tablet and am considering an iPad Air but am having heartburn over the price. I'm considering Android, but am worried about it feeling inadequate compared to the iPad. Here's what I'm looking for:

A tablet big enough (with enough resolution) to comfortably read magazines without a lot of zooming (biggest complaint against Mini)
    32GB or more storage

Zite
    AT&T U-verse app well
    Evernote
    Facebook

How bout this?

Amazon.com: ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 ME302C-A1-BL 10.1-Inch 16GB Tablet (Blue): Computers & Accessories

Or maybe even consider a Nexus 7
    Last edited by wizzrah; 12-31-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

32GB or more storage

Zite
    AT&T U-verse app well
    Evernote
    Facebook

Honestly, unless price is an issue I would not even consider anything that is not Nexus. They are just that good. There are lots of high end non-Nexus Android tablets with great specs out there, but they are all polluted with vendor skins which ruin them anyway. I have never seen a vendor skin that has actually improved on vanilla Android. It might happen someday, but it hasn't happened yet.

There is no new Nexus 10 yet, but the one from last year is still the best large tablet on the market IMO. Smooth and fast and ultra-high resolution. Only real drawback is lack of SD expansion, but if you are coming from Apple you're already used to that. The Nexus 10 will run anything on Android very well.

If you want the best tablet overall, I'd say the 2013 Nexus 7. There is nothing comparable to it. It is the best tablet made to date IMO.

If you really like Apple, get the iPad Mini with Retina Display. But if you want Android the Nexus 7 is the best.

Posted from either my Galaxy S3 or Nexus 7 2012
    Posted from either my Galaxy S3 or my Nexus 7 2012

Since you want a large tablet, I'd get a transformer pad infinity. You are not going to see a huge price savings over an iPad air on a large android tablet if you want a high Rees screen and good power. Quality costs money whether there is an apple logo on the back or not.

Posted via Android Central App

You'll want to look at the LG GPad Google Edition or Nexus 10 if you want a nice screen. As for durability, imo, I replaced iPad screen for my family members 3 times now, so regardless you should get a case for a tablet whether it's Apple or not. The Nexus 10 have higher resolution than the iPad Air (pretty soon new 5" Android phones will too.)

I think you need to find way to test run Android to see if you it work for you, borrow an Android tablet or spend a good amount of time with one at the store.
    Last edited by someguy01234; 12-31-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

32GB or more storage

Zite
    AT&T U-verse app well
    Evernote
    Facebook

How about Galaxy Note 10.1 2014? Amazing tablet, has great screen, love the S pen features... So I would recommend it.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

I love both my N7's! 2012 and 2013 versions! :P
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Since you want a large tablet, I'd get a transformer pad infinity. You are not going to see a huge price savings over an iPad air on a large android tablet if you want a high Rees screen and good power. Quality costs money whether there is an apple logo on the back or not.
    I own a Transformer Pad Infinity. Now that I have a Vanilla Android ROM on it, it is pretty nice. But I would never recommend one over a Nexus...if I had to do it over again, I'd have skipped the Transformer and gone with Nexus. I would never choose a Transformer with the stock ROM...Asus could not design a decent stock ROM to save their lives.

The only thing my Transformer has over a Nexus is SD expansion. Which I admit is awesome and I use it a lot. But I'd still rather have had a nexus. They are just THAT good.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    I own a Transformer Pad Infinity. Now that I have a Vanilla Android ROM on it, it is pretty nice. But I would never recommend one over a Nexus...if I had to do it over again, I'd have skipped the Transformer and gone with Nexus. I would never choose a Transformer with the stock ROM...Asus could not design a decent stock ROM to save their lives.

The only thing my Transformer has over a Nexus is SD expansion. Which I admit is awesome and I use it a lot. But I'd still rather have had a nexus. They are just THAT good.
    I think the TF701T with the Tegra 4 chip is worth getting over the aging Nexus 10 if you are looking for a large tablet like the OP is. I personally use a Nexus 7, but a Nexus 7 is not a large tablet.