Make Your Mobile Predictions for 2014

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
From now until the start of CES, make your predictions about mobile in 2014. Then let's look at this thread a year later. :)

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
2GB of ram will become mid range while 3GB-4GB of ram will become the normal high end. Companies will learn to properly optimize android for 8 core processors. Quad core processors will become common among mid to low end phones. 2k resolution screens will become common and cameras with 4k recording will become the norm. HOPEFULLY, big manufacturers will learn how to increase the battery life while keeping the size of the battery nearly the same size as batteries from this year. Finally, I think internal storage will increase.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
2GB of ram will become mid range while 3GB-4GB of ram will become the normal high end. Companies will learn to properly optimize android for 8 core processors. Quad core processors will become common among mid to low end phones. 2k resolution screens will become common and cameras with 4k recording will become the norm. HOPEFULLY, big manufacturers will learn how to increase the battery life while keeping the size of the battery nearly the same size as batteries from this year. Finally, I think internal storage will increase.
Maybe a little optimistic about 8 cores.There aren't any real octocore phones yet, mostly 4 fast cores and 4 low powered ones. I guess Samsung will come out with one (but I still will not touch Touchwiz regardless of specs).

My prediction is that I won't buy a new phone this year unless its a Nexus with Moto X features or something really special about it (price?). I don't care about specs anymore, phone hardwares are fast enough for any daily tasks now. I think phones that will turn eyes are ones that come with different and unique feature, but are practical and very useful (ie. Boom sound, ultrapixel camera, Moto X handfree/active display, good battery life, useful homelaunchers (blinkfeed, google launcher). At the sametime I predict Samsung will sell like hot cakes even though its all specs.

I predict Apple will come out with something to compete with Chromecast but will only work within Apple ecosystem, and everyone will hail it as a new innovation invented by Apple.

Last edited:

spawndoodling

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think 2014 will be a big year for Samsung and HTC and otherwise business as usual. I predict Samsung will significantly revamp the design/style of TouchWiz this year and bring in more whites, transparent/translucent animations, and adopt more aesthetically pleasing design. TouchWiz will largely keep its signature design: large fonts, easy-to-press buttons, and a ton of features, but I think we will more or less see a less polarizing TouchWiz. I think HTC will also update Sense accordingly with less black colors and more whites.

I also think Samsung is going to launch the GS5 with a big focus on its camera and multitasking. I also think it's a foregone conclusion Samsung will sprinkle all of the Moto X's voice features into the GS5 except ruin them by directing everything to S-Voice. And I think we'll see a fingerprint scanner on the new GS5 a la Apple. Also I feel really good about Samsung using more premium materials on the GS5 and perhaps ditching plastic on the back (crossing my fingers for a brushed metal finish and not faux leather). As for HTC and Motorola, I expect that the new One and X will have features that aim to distinguish it from the Galaxy S5 and I think many of them will be gimmick-free. That being said, I think the second iterations of both phones will mostly follow the status quo.

I think we're in for the long haul and shouldn't expect another major Android overhaul until next fall, probably when the new Nexus is outed. But given Google's renewed focus on apps like Hangouts and Newsstand, I think Google is going to shift their focus to improving a lot of their software in the first half of 2014. Love all of the Google Now integration and I hope Google continues - I really think Google Now should serve as the notification hub for Android moving forward. I also predict that Google is going to continue harping on Google+ but quietly integrate Facebook messaging into Hangouts and try to increase the profile of the app.

As for Apple, I think they'll finally take the plunge and run with a bigger iPhone 6 in 2014 and Apple will continue taking functionality cues from Android whilst heavily focusing on aesthetics. And for Windows Phone, I see the big 8.1 update adding much needed features to the platform but Microsoft focusing on building a 'flagship' phone. With new leadership in tow, it's only a matter of time before Microsoft (a) announces a whole new WP OS that's not backwards compatible, (b) starts planning the Surface Phone, and (c) ditches the Lumia name altogether and continues to confuse consumers to the point of no return. Blackberry should more or less be in the same position: trying to convince the public that they're still a valuable company while secretly begging someone to buy them out.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
HTC will release an amazing phone that carries the design they established with the One. It will be one of the best phones of 2014 and it will not sell well. Samsung will redesign touchwiz introduce a ton of new features in the GS5, including some form of always listening. S-Voice will ruin it. They will keep going against the trends with hardware buttons and an SD slot. Motorola will continue its strategy of affordable, great phones that focus on adding value to Google's services. Sony will make the next Nexus, which will retain the Nexus 5 moniker. We will see more GPe devices. Smart watches will become better and more affordable, but still won't be main stream. I also think Google will have big surprises for us with Chromecast and ChromeOS.

Apple will further differentiate the iPhone c line by keeping the 4" display and moving to a larger display on the premium line. I believe preparing for multiple screen sizes was the main reason they introduced the c line of iPhone this year.

Windows phone will cement is 3rd place position and will account for 20% of smartphone sales by Q4 2014. Blackberry, if they still exist as an independent company, will be even less relevant than they are now.

One more of the big four will follow T-Mobile's lead and eliminate device subsidies in 2014. In betting AT&T.

Posted via Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think BlackBerry will see an uptick in value. Not massive, but working on getting back on its feet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

2Fredsone

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I think we will see an increase of cheap high spec Chinese devices coming out of the Chinese market and pushing into the mainstream markets.
They already have a number of 8 core devices on the market and (apparently) are talking about a 2Ghz 8 core in 2014.
I suspect the Chinese manufacturers will continue to appeal at a lower price point and "may" put some serious downward pressure on mid to high end specification hardware... perhaps :)

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
My prediction is:
HD Out, QHD In
16 GB Out, 32 GB In
2GB RAM Out, 4 GB In
Quad-core Out, Octa-core in
5' Out, 5.2-3' In
Also I would guess flexible smartphones will evolve to the point of real flexibility.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My prediction is:
HD Out, QHD In I hope not. I'd rather have better battery life than more pixels when I can't see pixels in FHD phones anyway
16 GB Out, 32 GB In This I can get behind
2GB RAM Out, 4 GB In Meh, I'm fine either way.
Quad-core Out, Octa-core in If there is an actual benefit, particularly to battery life with a bigLITTLE configuration, go for it.
5' Out, 5.2-3' In Mixed feelings. I loved the screen size of my Note but love the usability of my Moto X's size.
Also I would guess flexible smartphones will evolve to the point of real flexibility. Maybe in Q3 or Q4, but I think 2015 is more likely. Too many other components still need flexibility issues solved.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I hope we see a growing trend with reasonably priced devices off contract, which are comparable to the Moto G and Nexus 5.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
HTC will release an amazing phone that carries the design they established with the One. It will be one of the best phones of 2014 and it will not sell well. Samsung will redesign touchwiz introduce a ton of new features in the GS5, including some form of always listening. S-Voice will ruin it. They will keep going against the trends with hardware buttons and an SD slot. Motorola will continue its strategy of affordable, great phones that focus on adding value to Google's services. Sony will make the next Nexus, which will retain the Nexus 5 moniker. We will see more GPe devices. Smart watches will become better and more affordable, but still won't be main stream. I also think Google will have big surprises for us with Chromecast and ChromeOS.

Apple will further differentiate the iPhone c line by keeping the 4" display and moving to a larger display on the premium line. I believe preparing for multiple screen sizes was the main reason they introduced the c line of iPhone this year.

Windows phone will cement is 3rd place position and will account for 20% of smartphone sales by Q4 2014. Blackberry, if they still exist as an independent company, will be even less relevant than they are now.

One more of the big four will follow T-Mobile's lead and eliminate device subsidies in 2014. In betting AT&T.

2014 will be the year of the edible phone lol....Take that NSA.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Apple will release a bigger screen iPhone, and tons of Android owners will jump ship. :)

I agree with half of this. I think Apple will release a bigger screen iPhone, but I do not think a ton of Androd users will jump ship. There will be some for sure, just not a ton. My perdiction is that a big screen iPhone would hurt Samsung more than anyone else because I feel the S4 is the phone most people who want an iPhone with a bigger screen would buy.

frednoyb

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
64 bit processors are coming

Contracts will die - they just don't make sense financially

Disposable phones for individual numbers?

Free calls everywhere becoming the norm

Google Now becoming the biggest must have as it's comprehension improves ( and please Google make it so you can say delete a word and it will)

Huge concern about machines knowing too much and acting without human consent

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Further commoditization of mobile devices and a lot more pressure on margins on products. Not a whole lot of innovation or game changers this year.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey