Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just rooted my phone but where's all the cool stuff at?

I spent years deciding on whether or not I should take the chance with rooting and all this time I've been reading about all the amazing things i could do like extend my battery life. But now that i actually rooted my note2, i'm having trouble finding where all these exclusive root applications are at. Would anyone mind pointing me in the direction of all the stuff for cool rooted phones?

Default Re: Just rooted my phone but where's all the cool stuff at?

Quote Originally Posted by androidEXO View Post
    I spent years deciding on whether or not I should take the chance with rooting and all this time I've been reading about all the amazing things i could do like extend my battery life. But now that i actually rooted my note2, i'm having trouble finding where all these exclusive root applications are at. Would anyone mind pointing me in the direction of all the stuff for cool rooted phones?
    To get most of these supposed benefits, you usually have to flash a ROM after you root the phone. I used to root and ROM all of my phones. Now, it is much less needed. One awesome tool that is root only is Titanium Backup Pro. Helium Backup is also great and, while not root only, is much easier to use rooted. The best place to go and look would be the XDA forum for the Note 2.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

I concur head over to the xda forums and you will get all relevant information for your device from roms to kernels and everything in between.

There are many tweaks you can do like change the status bar, adaway is handy and comes with some roms, boost animations ect ect oh and if you can get wonderchild kernel you can over clock to 3ghz well on the Note 3 anyway but I would not recommend that a slight tweak if really required perhaps.

Then just browse Google play for apps that you think is relevant to you.

And you could see if you can flash bobcat rom it's a good one to start with.

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank you! I'll definitely back up my phone before I start exploring some more
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

Yes that would be very wise, but don't fear if stuck in a bootloop that is not bricked common misconception, bricked means the phone is a black screen and won't power on which yes can happen, but if you follow the instructions you should be just fine.

I've been warned by the mods on this site to not talk about the most awesome benefits of rooting. Those awesome illegal benefits being specifically that you can download any app that you want from the Google Play Store and modify the in-app currency to whatever you want. Infinite lives on Candy Crush? I wish I could tell you how to do it, but I am not allowed to, nor do I promote it.

You don't necessarily need install a custom rom to do cool stuff, especially if you use Xposed Framework. It's not really about flashing endless rom, because everytime you flash a different rom you have to re-setup the phone, which is inconvenient, unless the phone is not your daily driver. Flashing isn't all about "root". To take advantage of root, you just need to use apps that utilize root.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude074 View Post
    I've been warned by the mods on this site to not talk about the most awesome benefits of rooting. Those awesome illegal benefits being specifically that you can download any app that you want from the Google Play Store and modify the in-app currency to whatever you want. Infinite lives on Candy Crush? I wish I could tell you how to do it, but I am not allowed to, nor do I promote it.
    I don't see the point of it, if the game is designed with in app purchases to make money, as in you have to play a long time or spend money in the app to beat it, then it sucks and doesn't deserve your support. Even if you cheat at it, it just fuel the system. Besides, there is no self satisfaction in it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,920 Global Posts

your right you don't need to flash different roms but they do have their pros and ultimately their cons. It's really upto you how far you want to go and what you want from your phone.

I say flash a new kernel that can be overclocked and make ya phone run like a rocket

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    I say flash a new kernel that can be overclocked and make ya phone run like a rocket

The Note II should not need a custom kernel to run fast. I never, ever run custom kernels because they are almost always significantly less stable than a stock kernel.

Hhhmmm I don't know I have a nexus 7 as it says in my posted from and I'm using the Franco kernel and never had any problems but everyone to their own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    Hhhmmm I don't know I have a nexus 7 as it says in my posted from and I'm using the Franco kernel and never had any problems but everyone to their own opinion.

I will allow a possible exception for Nexus devices as they are simply easier to develop for. It is conceivable to me that there are custom Nexus kernels that are as stable as stock.

NOTE: I'm not saying developing for a Nexus is easy or taking away from the work the peole who develop for Nexus devices do. I'm simply pointing out that some of the hack arounds other devices need are not present on Nexus devices.

Check out ur phones thread at xda. And check the market for root apps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk