Why is rooting so hard?

ckn71

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Or to rephrase the question, why do manufacturers make it so hard?

I am under the impression that the phone I bought from the carrier is my phone. Therefore I should be able to put any android version (ROM) on it I see fit. Why can't I? I read somewhere (not sure if I could find it again) that it is in fact legal to root and flash phones. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And than there are cases like the RAZR M 98.18.94 update that made it impossible to root. Does Motorola actually have the right to prevent me from rooting?

Sorry for the rant and whine, but I really like CM and would like to use it on my RAZAR M, but since I have above stated system version, I can't and it makes me angry.

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: why is rooting so hard?

I am under the impression that the phone I bought from the carrier is my phone. Therefore I should be able to put any android version (ROM) on it I see fit. Why can't I? I read somewhere (not sure if I could find it again) that it is in fact legal to root and flash phones. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And than there are cases like the RAZR M 98.18.94 update that made it impossible to root. Does Motorola actually have the right to prevent me from rooting?

Sorry for the rant and whine, but I really like CM and would like to use it on my RAZAR M, but since I have above stated system version, I can't and it makes me angry.

Nothing is impossible. It just may be really hard to do. The phone is not your phone until you finish your contract unfortunately. Also, flashing a rom voids your warranty :p

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

It's because you bought a Motorola, they are owned by Google now but their phones still aren't as open. Manufacturers and carriers purposefully make it hard with things like locked bootloader and s-off.

There is no way Verizon and AT&T or even manufacturers (Apple) wants you to install custom rom, its their ecosystem. They want you to use their software and services, that way they have control, such as preventing you from tethering without paying extra or force you to use a certain service. Verizon for example didn't allow Google Wallet to work on the Galaxy Nexus.

If you buy a Nexus, you can do anything to it without restrictions (Just not Verizon Galaxy Nexus). Second choice would be to get Google Edition devices or Oppo phones which allow users to install CyanogenMod on their phones.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Because most customers are going to end up going to the manufacturer or the carrier for support when they mess up their device, particularly a more inexpensive device like the Razr M that is more likely to end up in les tech saavy users hands (not to say that you aren't tech saavy). That is why rooting your phone usually voids the warranty. Manufacturers don't want to make it easy to void your warranty. It really boils down to buying a device that suits your needs. If rooting and ROMing is important to you, you should buy a phone that will be easy to do that with, like a Nexus, Google Play Edition, or Developer Edition. Mid-range phones will continue to be more locked down because they will generally end up in the hands of less tech saavy users who appriciate a locked down, safe, easy to use device.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Rooting isn't really hard if you properly educate yourself on the terminology behind it and also the associated tools required to achieve root. Each device or OEM differs in the way its achieved.

As for it being legal ?

On behalf of the carriers like Verizon, AT &T , etc.. they all have the same stance on rooting basically saying you root the device then you void your warranty and give up your rights to service, repair or replacement while its in the rooted state. So that means you have to remove root before taking it in for warranty related repair or service.

Now if your talking about the " developer edition or Google Edition " devices such as the HTC One or Galaxy S4 and others, then those you have paid a higher price at the time of purchase to get your hands on these devices which allow you to easily unlock your bootloader and then do as you please from there. The OEM's even provide a safe return back to factory stock in the event you screw something up. However I think if you bring the device in " ROOTED " and running a CUSTOM ROM they can still deny you service/repair under warranty because you are running something other than the OFFICIAL OEM/CARRIER supported software.

As for the OEM's and carriers, again they follow basically what I said above with the developer/Google Edition devices. When it comes to taking a branded device such as the RAZR M or say a plain Galaxy S4 by Sprint and unlocking, rooting and flashing a custom ROM then you are voiding your warranty options while its in that unlocked and rooted state. Special techniques must be taken to fully remove signs of unlocking and rooting so warranty can be honored on a branded device because they are designed to leave a " Tampered " or RED FLAG behind that you modified the device from stock form.

Hope this clears things up a little bit..

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

I used to think rooting was so easy until I tried to root (and install busybox) on my HTC one sv its quite complicated....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I used to think rooting was so easy until I tried to root (and install busybox) on my HTC one sv its quite complicated....

HTC make it difficult, that's why I don't buy their phones. I find it easier with Samsung, even though there are still a few things it's not as complicated. With Nexus is easiest.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

HTC make it difficult, that's why I don't buy their phones. I find it easier with Samsung, even though there are still a few things it's not as complicated. With Nexus is easiest.

It really depends on the phone. On the HTC One, you could unlock the bootloader super easily through the HTC Dev site (I unlocked my AT&T's bootloader) and that made rooting super, super simple. Exynos Samsung phones can be a bear because they don't provide some of the things devs need.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Hey quick question , I'm sorry if this sounds a bit silly but if I unlocked my bootloader could I flash a ROM that's already rooted with busybox installed on the ROM or does it not work like that??

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

P.s this is relating to my previous post I'm on a HTC one sv if that makes any difference...

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey quick question , I'm sorry if this sounds a bit silly but if I unlocked my bootloader could I flash a ROM that's already rooted with busybox installed on the ROM or does it not work like that??

Yes. Once you unlock the bootloader, you can flash a custom recovery (usually either Clockwork or TWRP). You can then use that custom recovery to flash a pre-rooted ROM with SU and Busybox already installed. That is exactly what I did with my HTC One.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for replying , and that's what I'm going to do :)

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Rooting your phone is relatively easy especially Samsungs but others are just as easy. It's flashing roms and kernels that can get confusing. This is in terms of what rom is of stable build and same for custom kernels. I flashed bobcat rom and as of yet haven't done a clean install and boom it's a week later and all is sweet, meaning I didn't have to reinstall my apps ect. It was and as always recommend to do a clean install and I'm contemplating it, but so far all is sweet.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Rooting your phone is relatively easy especially Samsungs but others are just as easy. It's flashing roms and kernels that can get confusing. This is in terms of what rom is of stable build and same for custom kernels. I flashed bobcat rom and as of yet haven't done a clean install and boom it's a week later and all is sweet, meaning I didn't have to reinstall my apps ect. It was and as always recommend to do a clean install and I'm contemplating it, but so far all is sweet.

I absolutely refuse to run custom kernels. Even the most stable of custum kernesl are usually significantly less stable than stock kernels.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

I absolutely refuse to run custom kernels. Even the most stable of custum kernesl are usually significantly less stable than stock kernels.

Yes this is true, I wasn't going to either but curiosity got the better of me and I did it and encountered a problem with the camera (wouldn't open) . But flashed another kernel and all is fine and stable but I'm leaving it be at that, I have my phone to my liking now :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Yes this is true, I wasn't going to either but curiosity got the better of me and I did it and encountered a problem with the camera (wouldn't open) . But flashed another kernel and all is fine and stable but I'm leaving it be at that, I have my phone to my liking now :)

Once you start tinkering that's it. There's no such thing as that's it. Ha ha that's the joy of root and being able to do what you want.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Once you start tinkering that's it. There's no such thing as that's it. Ha ha that's the joy of root and being able to do what you want.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Couldn't agree more but for now I'm happy until the next rom that gets my attention lol very true though once you start you can't stop so be warned lol

ckn71

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

Couldn't agree more but for now I'm happy until the next rom that gets my attention lol very true though once you start you can't stop so be warned lol

That's exactly what I'm facing. Had my old phone rooted and flashed. I tried to stay away from it on my new (well, year old) phone, but last week I broke down and wanted to customize it. But since the last stock update it can't get rooted anymore. Very disappointing

DROID RAZR M

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly what I'm facing. Had my old phone rooted and flashed. I tried to stay away from it on my new (well, year old) phone, but last week I broke down and wanted to customize it. But since the last stock update it can't get rooted anymore. Very disappointing

DROID RAZR M
If you want to continue to root, get a Nexus, it have one of the most devs working on it, so it will have the some of the roms available and always rootable.

I don't flash custom rom much now, because KitKat is so good and with lots of 3rd party apps and Xposed Framework, they deliver features you find in custom roms. I still install custom roms, but not as the daily default. I use MultiRom on my Nexus 4, it let me multiboot any number of ARM compatible linux OS to the phone, I set stock rom as the default and flash custom roms on the side.

s2weden2000

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site

Oppo find 5 ...install app.
Open app ..choose superuser type...choose root method...Done!

Skickat fr?n min X909 via Tapatalk