Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sizzers
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Protest thread! - We want a customizable dialer !

I was reading rb_stern's post about how he hates his phone's dialer and it's quirks. I can't help him, because I'm not familiar with his phone, but... It reminded me that I also hate my dialer. I wish I could have the dialer I had on my Motorola Atrix. My current phone's dialer make me constantly mis-dial because the keypad is too small, to allow the "last calls" to be visible on the same view.

The Dialer seems to be one of the most un-customizable part of Android, whatever the phone, yet it is the device's primary function...

Anyone else with a rant about his dialer being an un-customizable and dysfunctional pain the rump ? Join-in this protest thread!
    "All information is imperfect. We have to treat it with humility."
    - The Ascent of man.
    J. Bronowsky.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Protest thread! - We want a customizable dialer !

Have you checked the Play Store for alternatives? There should be alternatives to get a perfect dialer app that works for you.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have, I found nothing that I would dare install. Some where downright scary just by looking at the permissions required.
    - The Ascent of man.
    J. Bronowsky.

Quote Originally Posted by sauce_a_poutine View Post
    I have, I found nothing that I would dare install. Some where downright scary just by looking at the permissions required.
    Well you have to realize as a dialer app there are certain permissions it would require to be a usable dialer (such as make calls, access contacts, etc...). Also, the dialer is customizable in that you can replace it with another one.

Have you taken a look at DW Contacts & Phone & Dialer. There is a free version and a paid version. While the instructions can be a bit daunting and you may have to spend a a little time working through
    all the customizations it's worth the effort. If the OP wants a dialer that can be set up to be quite large I suggest taking a look at DW. My suggestion is to simply spend your time on the basics to see if the dialer itself meets your needs.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

In a sick twist of fate, I went looking again, but this time, I actually found something perfect. I can't quite comprehend how I missed it. It is not a replacement dialer, though. It's just a dial pad widget. (probably why it's required permission level is so minimal)

by a dev called (Links to dev's other apps).

Probably not for every one, as it turns the smartphone back into a "real phone"... Here's what it looks like:

Protest thread!  - We want a customizable dialer !-screenshot_2014-01-03-22-39-29-1-.jpg
    - The Ascent of man.
    J. Bronowsky.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Came across this today and so far well impressed.

Very
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    paisley99 and mrsmumbles like this.