Nexus 5, LG G2 or Galaxy S4?

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have had all the top phones ( not phablets) Nexus 4,5 GS3,4 Moto X and LG G2 The G2 in my opinion is the best with the S4 2nd. I prefer LCD over Amoled because it's easier to see in sunlight,more natural colors. I think the cameras are about even but the G2 has ois which gives it a slight advantage. The LG has a better more powerful processor. The LG runs everything smoothly where as the S4 can't have everything running or else it has a little lag. Oh and the battery is way better on the LG compared to everything else. Just my 2c

Yev91

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your input, I will probably pick up the G2 within the next week.

I am surprised that many of you chose the G2 over the N5 even tho its... a google phone blah blah... my friends all praise it. I guess coming from a 32GB Lumia 920 its hard to choose a lesser camera and storage.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
maybe keep a lookout for the new htc one being announced soon. If your a spec hound, that will probably be the go to phone for early 2014.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
For 2013 I've had The One, G2, N5, Note 3, Xperia Z1, Moto X and an iPhone 5S (albeit not too long for that one). The only phone I wouldn't get on your list is the S4. I'm really not a fan at all of Samsung's software, I find it quite messy, poorly optimized and poorly designed. I get the impression of a slapdash feature spam approach to gun for quick sales but without any finesse or TLC put into it. The Note 3 was the first Sammy phone to give me an impression that they give a F in years so I did pick it up.

nathaniz

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Just went through the same process in making my decision. Looked at the same three phones. Camera was not as important to me as it appears to be to you. I'm looking for speed, usability, and future-proof to the minimal extent that is possible. I view it in terms of processor, storage, and ROM/RAM.
As much as I wanted the Nexus 5, I could not pass up the G2 - so close to each other but the G2 seemed to be better on the spec side to me.
Had an Optimus G and was thrilled with it, so that was also a factor - that was a great phone w/o any issues whatsoever for me. I only changed phones because I changed carriers and couldn't take the Sprint phone to T-Mobile. Have not used the camera yet, but I will check it out in low light and see. I'll post it here FWIW.

Yev91

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
maybe keep a lookout for the new htc one being announced soon. If your a spec hound, that will probably be the go to phone for early 2014.

Leaked specs look great! just wish they upped the Megapixels to for extra detail like everyone else... Battery looks promising as well..

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Leaked specs look great! just wish they upped the Megapixels to for extra detail like everyone else... Battery looks promising as well..

But its been proven that a high megapixel count doesn't mean anything. software over megapixels any day. We'll just have to wait and see i guess, but if you REALLY need a phone now i would suggest the G2 or the N5 (currently my daily driver). If you think you can wait, i suggest waiting at least until after MWC. The S5 is SUPPOSEDLY being announced there if you have a thing for samsung but its up to you. This is whats wrong with the mobile world. You buy one phone, than a week later something better comes out. Its sickening honestly.

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
But its been proven that a high megapixel count doesn't mean anything. software over megapixels any day. We'll just have to wait and see i guess, but if you REALLY need a phone now i would suggest the G2 or the N5 (currently my daily driver). If you think you can wait, i suggest waiting at least until after MWC. The S5 is SUPPOSEDLY being announced there if you have a thing for samsung but its up to you. This is whats wrong with the mobile world. You buy one phone, than a week later something better comes out. Its sickening honestly.

Not only the number of MP and software counts for a good camera, but also the sensor, lens and aperture width. Look at Nokia Lumia's Pureview tech. It's got almost everything polished.

For your second point, yeah, the trend in the mobile world is very fast and sickening, but you just need to be very smart about trends and buy a phone that would seem to last for more than a year. Take for example screen resolutions. Even though they produce phones with 2K or even 4K display, it doesn't change the fact that current games and movies are designed with only 720p or 1080p (rarely) resolution. Which means that 2K display may be good but it will take ages before people can use the real benefit of it!

Another 'advanced' tech present in the current mobile world is the Galaxy Note 3's 4K display. That would be great only if those gigabytes of video recording can fit into tens of gigabytes of storage. And Note 3's display is only on 1080p.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, So I am in the market for a new phone and I wanted to finally give Android a try for the first time. After some research I have concluded that on paper the LG G2 was the best and I got excited thinking I have finally decided which to get...

The Nexus 5 is the best of those 3, especially if you are new to Android.

We all know that just because it is good on paper that does not mean the actual user experience is good. I would have chosen the Nexus 5 hands down if I could get the 32GB and it had a better camera but mainly the storage is my main concerns.
They make 32 gig Nexus 5s (I have one). It does not have SD, but it does have USB OTG which will let you use USB thumbdrives with it. Noth the most eligant solution, but it does work.

However I mostly care about the camera which the G2 and S4 have the most megapixel
The G2 probably does have a better camera, but not by a lot. The S4 does not have OIS. I would browse through the gallery thread for the Nexus 5 if you want to see real samples of what it can do...the reviews do not do it justice.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-13.html

it is a known fact that the Nexus camera is not that great but it is improving, correct?
Almost all the issues with the Nexus 5 were fixed in the last update.

Oh and the G2 has low light issues which is a turn off otherwise I would have went with it.
The G2 takes excellent lowlight, at least equal to the Nexus 5. The S4 is the one that takes awful low light.

I am probably going to end up deciding between Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4(w/ Nova Launcher). I want an overall good phone hardware and software wise that I will not regret getting over the other.
On the software side, the S4 will be polluted with Touchwiz, which a lot of people don't like (me included). The G2 is stuck with LG's skin which is arguably worse. The skins do add additional features though...it is a matter of opinion if they are worth it. For me they were not. Nexus 5 minimalism is part of it's appeal IMO.

Bonus: Those skins mean that those phones will have much slower updates than the Nexus 5, and will have a shorter support life.

PS, are there any new phones that are coming out soon that will satisfy most of my needs in one package?
Nothing on the horizon that I can see. IMO the Nexus 5 is the best of those three at the moment.

At this point I'd probably drop the S4 from your list...and replace it with the Moto X.

Yev91

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Almost all the issues with the Nexus 5 were fixed in the last update.

Could you be more specific as to which issues were fixed... Like I know they updated the hardware but I am not 100% sure whats different except the buttons and speaker holes.

I know they patched the camera, what about the call quality? Heard a few people complaining about it...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Could you be more specific as to which issues were fixed... Like I know they updated the hardware but I am not 100% sure whats different except the buttons and speaker holes.

I know they patched the camera, what about the call quality? Heard a few people complaining about it...
They can't fix hardware with a software update. The buttons and speaker holes were updated in the new model of the N5, it has nothing to do with any OTA updates.

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
They can't fix hardware with a software update. The buttons and speaker holes were updated in the new model of the N5, it has nothing to do with any OTA updates.
I think he got his words confused, but what he meant to say was that LG optimized audio output and fixed many camera-connected issutes in the 4.4.2 update of the Nexus 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995