Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Question Nexus 5, LG G2 or Galaxy S4?

Hey all, So I am in the market for a new phone and I wanted to finally give Android a try for the first time. After some research I have concluded that on paper the LG G2 was the best and I got excited thinking I have finally decided which to get...

We all know that just because it is good on paper that does not mean the actual user experience is good. I would have chosen the Nexus 5 hands down if I could get the 32GB and it had a better camera but mainly the storage is my main concerns. However I mostly care about the camera which the G2 and S4 have the most megapixel, and it is a known fact that the Nexus camera is not that great but it is improving, correct? Oh and the G2 has low light issues which is a turn off otherwise I would have went with it.

I am probably going to end up deciding between Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4(w/ Nova Launcher). I want an overall good phone hardware and software wise that I will not regret getting over the other.

PS, are there any new phones that are coming out soon that will satisfy most of my needs in one package?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    7,789 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Nexus 5, LG G2 or Galaxy S4?

There have been no recent announcements or leaks to suggest an upcoming release of a new phone that's worth drooling over. I'd imagine that will change in the coming months. You might want to stop by your local retailer and get a feel for the devices and see which of the three feel good to you. Seems like you've done a lot of research, so it's only a matter of selecting the right one.

Global Posts
    6,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Yev91 View Post
    Hey all, So I am in the market for a new phone and I wanted to finally give Android a try for the first time. After some research I have concluded that on paper the LG G2 was the best and I got excited thinking I have finally decided which to get...

We all know that just because it is good on paper that does not mean the actual user experience is good. I would have chosen the Nexus 5 hands down if I could get the 32GB and it had a better camera but mainly the storage is my main concerns. However I mostly care about the camera which the G2 and S4 have the most megapixel, and it is a known fact that the Nexus camera is not that great but it is improving, correct? Oh and the G2 has low light issues which is a turn off otherwise I would have went with it.

I am probably going to end up deciding between Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4(w/ Nova Launcher). I want an overall good phone hardware and software wise that I will not regret getting over the other.

PS, are there any new phones that are coming out soon that will satisfy most of my needs in one package?

Thanks!
    There's quite price difference between the Nexus 5 and S4. If you're going to consider the S4 I'd recommend the GPE.
    Live long and prosper.

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    There have been no recent announcements or leaks to suggest an upcoming release of a new phone that's worth drooling over. I'd imagine that will change in the coming months. You might want to stop by your local retailer and get a feel for the devices and see which of the three feel good to you. Seems like you've done a lot of research, so it's only a matter of selecting the right one.
    Well that is good, I honestly don't see why 2k screens and what not are worth it...

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    There's quite price difference between the Nexus 5 and S4. If you're going to consider the S4 I'd recommend the GPE.
    The price does not matter much since its a contract and I will not pay full price for the phone.

Oh I also remembered that the Galaxy S4 does not have OIS, and coming from a Lumia 920 I will only see this as a downgrade.
    I feel like I am going to choose the Nexus 5 but the G2 just has so much extra.. Is there any hope that LG will update the G2 so that the camera is not so horrible in low light? Can I just use a 3rd party camera app to improve quality?

Having and using the G2, I'd be hard pressed to choose another phone over it

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Having and using the G2, I'd be hard pressed to choose another phone over it

May I ask how so? Just looking for opinions.

I chose the G2 over the S4 and Moto X. It has great battery life, an amazing screen, good camera, zero lag, and charges really fast (<1.5 hrs) . The LG UI is also much better than Samsung's TouchWiz.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    8,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    I chose the G2 over the S4 and Moto X. It has great battery life, an amazing screen, good camera, zero lag, and charges really fast (<1.5 hrs) . The LG UI is also much better than Samsung's TouchWiz.

The UI looks like a cheap knock-off of TW

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

May I ask how so? Just looking for opinions.
    Sure

First (in random order) battery life. I own the HTC One and the G2 (my daughters phone) last at least 2x as long but I'd guess even more. Really the first phone i don't have to constantly worry about battery life.

Next would be the display. Bright vibrant colors but not the cartoonish look of amoled. Viewing angles are fantastic too. They also packed in a large display keeping the device at a manageable size (this is relative of course)

I also like the features the G2 has. The UI is quite user friendly and the Q pairing with the G-Pad is an added bonus

The back buttons are hit our miss, you either like it or hate it it seems. I for one like it as it feels very natural because that's where my index finger naturally sits. The dual notification lights on the front and back helps you from missing calls or texts too.

It just feels like LG put a lot of thought into this phone and I for one really enjoy it

LG G3
    Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The UI looks like a cheap knock-off of TW

I prefer the look of the LG skin. The colors combinations in TW are quite ugly.

Thanked by 2:
    ffejjjnfl46 

Global Posts
    8,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Well that is good, I honestly don't see why 2k screens and what not are worth it...

The price does not matter much since its a contract and I will not pay full price for the phone.

Oh I also remembered that the Galaxy S4 does not have OIS, and coming from a Lumia 920 I will only see this as a downgrade.
    I feel like I am going to choose the Nexus 5 but the G2 just has so much extra.. Is there any hope that LG will update the G2 so that the camera is not so horrible in low light? Can I just use a 3rd party camera app to improve quality?
    3rd party apps usually make the camera worse than the default one since it's made for that specific hardware. Out of the 3, the S4 has the best camera. Even without OIS...battery life is exceptional on the S4, but the G2's is even better, N5's is decent. Software experience is best on the N5 and will get updates for the longest time out of these three.
    I prefer the SAMOLED panel on the S4 so that gets my vote for display, G2 is second and I really dont like the N5's.
    Build quality is a wash, none of the three stands out. Only benefit of the S4 is an SD card and expandable storage

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    8,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I prefer the look of the LG skin. The colors combinations in TW are quite ugly.

I don't like TW, but I don't think it's ugly either. The LG UI on the other hand, looks really sloppy. Sure, performance is definitely better, but the LG UI is poorly made imo. The Slide Aside thing looks really messy, their dropdown menu is also messy.
    We can both agree that neither of them is as good as the Nexus experience

Global Posts
    8,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by ffejjj View Post
    Sure

I own the HTC One and the G2 (my daughters phone) last at least 2x as long but I'd guess even more.

Is it really that much? I know the G2 has the best battery life of any phone atm, but saying that it's double sounds like an exaggeration
    Best I saw on the G2 was around 8 hours, a little over 7 with an HTC One...

I don't like TW, but I don't think it's ugly either. The LG UI on the other hand, looks really sloppy. Sure, performance is definitely better, but the LG UI is poorly made imo. The Slide Aside thing looks really messy, their dropdown menu is also messy.
    We can both agree that neither of them is as good as the Nexus experience
    Nexus devices definitely provide the best UI. I also like the UI on recent HTC and Sony phones.

I haven't found much use for slide aside and some other features, but I really like having quick memo.

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Nexus devices definitely provide the best UI. I also like the UI on recent HTC and Sony phones.

I haven't found much use for slide aside and some other features, but I really like having quick memo.

Is there any way to install a custom notification window? I know it is possible to install a more compact settings menu which I would do... As for the home screen, I think the Nova Launcher will do it for me.

Global Posts
    8,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Is there any way to install a custom notification window? I know it is possible to install a more compact settings menu which I would do... As for the home screen, I think the Nova Launcher will do it for me.
    I don't think you can do it on the stock ROM. I had a ROM on my S4 that allowed me to do it with the 3minit framework module

Global Posts
    18,921 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I don't think you can do it on the stock ROM, at least without root you can't. Rooted and using xposed framework you should be able to do it
    Not sure if that can be done with Xposed. Maybe, in a Samsung module, but I don't pay attention to those.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I don't think so.

Global Posts
    8,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Not sure if that can be done with Xposed. Maybe, in a Samsung module, but I don't pay attention to those.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Thanks, fixed it
    Not sure if it's a Samsung module but 3minit works...
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Is it really that much? I know the G2 has the best battery life of any phone atm, but saying that it's double sounds like an exaggeration
    Best I saw on the G2 was around 8 hours, a little over 7 with an HTC One...
    Tomorrow I'll try and post some actual battery data comparison charts. Sadly the answer is yes though. Her G2 and my replacement One were both purchased within the week so not even any degradation to speak of. Battery life alone is making me consider selling my One and buying the G2 outright.

LG G3
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

Go with the G2.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

About the G2, I have it and I can tell you the user experience is amazing. The battery life is better then any phone I ever had including S4, the camera is excellent, and the screen is amazing.
    Why not the LG G2? I compared it to the S4 and it (the G2) took it mainly due to same screen, better processor, much better battery.

Thanks!
    Not any that are coming in the next few months. Just buy one now since a new phone is released or about to be all the time, so just choose one and buy it.
    Last edited by Foramex; 01-04-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    ffejjj likes this.
    _X_

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

I actually was in the same situation back in Nov. And was looking at the same three phones. I bought the G2 for my wife the phone is great and has some real nice features. Considering that the N5 is the G2 with Google input , the g2 stands out. The only real advantage of the N5 is the price.

The G2 is easier to use and has a better screen, camera, and battery. The S4 is a great phone and does have some excellent camera options
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foramex View Post
    About the G2, I have it and I can tell you the user experience is amazing. The battery life is better then any phone I ever had including S4, the camera is excellent, and the screen is amazing.

Why not the LG G2? I compared it to the S4 and it took mainly due to same screen, better processor, much better battery.

Not any that are coming in the next few months. Just buy one now since a new phone is released or about to be all the time, so just choose one and buy it.
    I am really considering the G2 now... I want bigger battery and storage.

Coming from the Lumia 920 its pains me that the camera has issues like zooming during video makes it blurry from what I have seen on youtube even with a 13mp sensor. Is it possible to install the the stock camera app to fix the zoom?

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I am really considering the G2 now... I want bigger battery and storage.

Coming from the Lumia 920 its pains me that the camera has issues like zooming during video makes it blurry from what I have seen on youtube even with a 13mp sensor. Is it possible to install the the stock camera app to fix the zoom?
    I saw what other people are experiencing, but I know that personally I didn't find any zooming problems during videos with my D802....
    Really, any person I see I recommend him to buy the G2. It's just such an excellent, under-rated phone that's it's sad. People are not aware to its excellent qualities due to the disastrous ad campaign by LG...
    If screen and battery (with a capital BATTERY!! I never had to charge in the middle of the day, sometimes it even lasts 3) are your most important things in a smartphone, then the G2 takes everyone by a mile.
    P.S. If you decide to buy a G2 and have any problems with it, feel free to PM me and I'll answer any questions you might have.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    Thanked by 2:
    srkmagnus and ffejjj like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast