Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13,381 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: which smart tv box?

Seems Roku is very popular. I don't have any experience with this types of devices, so I can't be of much help. Do you have certain needs or wants that may help people refer one over the other?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Its main purpose is seeing movies on tv via internet connection or streaming with other computers at the house

So far I only use the MK808 Android TV stick and now I'm settled with three Chromecast in my house.

You can scroll to the bottom of this page to see some channels and services available for the Roku. I guess if its a good choice if you want a clean interface. Though it lacks the customization of a full android OS, but that could be a good thing since you shouldn't have to fiddle on the TV.

Most of the other devices you link are Android TV box, so basically you use an Android tablet based interface on the TV, if the device doesn't come with a remote mostly you'll have to use keyboard and mouse to do the navigation, preferably some type of Bluetooth control. Or you can use DroidMote to control an Android device using another Android device. You have more freedom than the Roku since you can do anything a regular Android tablet can. The G-Box Midnight may be a good model to look at in this category. You'll probably want to stay away from the MK808B or other Android TV stick since they have poor WiFi reception, unless you plan to use a USB to Ethernet adapter. I would probably get a quadcore device for better performance. You can run things like XBMC or other apps that detect DLNA and NAS/LAN server, and stream media from them. But all of these have USB connection so you can connect the harddrive directly and use the Android box as a media server itself.

My solution is just to have a Chromecast for each TV since it's so much simpler. Anyone can play YouTube on it. For offline video, I setup up Plex server or use Avia. Of course, Chromecast have limited app support which is its main drawback.

Personally I would buy these from Amazon if I can for easy returning.
    Retired Ambassador

Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

I've only ever heard of Roku out of the ones listed here

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Default Re: which smart tv box

Its main purpose is seeing movies on tv via internet connection or streaming with other computers at the house. I would also be happy to play apps with it
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I would also be happy to play apps with it

Don't be too eager to judge which is a best TV BOX. Maybe there is no the best, just what functions and appearance you like. As far as i know, there is an active market of ROKU and MINIX. Maybe they are and But if you are a supporter for new products, there is also a okay choice for you, which is called ZIDOO X9. The box is special for its MSTAR solution and PVR function. Maybe you could also have a look at it.Good luck!