• 1 Post By xchange
  • 1 Post By MERCDROID
  • 1 Post By someguy01234
  • 1 Post By Orion78
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Default Google's next big thing?

I wonder what their plans are for the next two years in terms of big advances. From what I've been reading lately it looks like Apple is getting into push mode, meaning they're done with their small incremental and minor updates and switching gears to push out the big stuff. Expected of Apple this year according to an article on :

As CEO Tim Cook has been hinting, Apple will be releasing products unlike those that came before. Rumors abound that it will unveil a larger, 12.9-inch iPad for education that may actually replace its smaller MacBook Air. A big tablet is one thing, but a move toward a big tablet running on a rumored, ultra-fast “A8″ chip made by a new manufacturer (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation) rather than Samsung, which has produced processors for previous iPads and iPhones, would be a sea change for Apple and the entire PC industry. If Apple is now capable of designing “mobile” chips fast enough to do all the things we expect of a “desktop” operating system, thus blurring the lines between a laptop and a tablet, the company might at last realize the dream of the “convertible” PC (i.e., hybrid tablet and laptop), which Intel and countless PC manufacturers have been trying and failing to achieve.

In this case, the biggest impact would be on Intel, as it would further erode the company’s significance, already shrinking along with the market for PCs and the chips that power them. But it could also lead us toward a future in which the PC simply doesn’t exist anymore, and is achieved merely by attaching various accessories to our phones.

Apple may also release a larger iPhone, finally bowing to demand for the kind of device that can be ever more a PC replacement when it comes to entertainment like games and video. Then there’s the inevitable upgrade to the flagship iPhone, the iPhone 6, which will arrive running iOS
    If this is the case, I wonder what Google's own push will be this year. I'm predicting they're going to push Chromebooks into something a lot more capable than what they can currently do, but I'm even more curious what their "next big thing" for Android is going to be. I hope they have something good up their sleeve because a larger sized iPhone is going to hit the Android OEM's in one of their best advantages. And pushing Mobile devices into more powerful computer capable processing is definitely a huge leap.

Global Posts
    6,763 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Google's next big thing?

Chromebooks have definitely been getting a good push and this trend should continue in the coming year(s). I'll be interested in seeing Google's own push into the Wearable scene with new products and hopefully public release of Google Glass.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    I wonder what their plans are for the next two years in terms of big advances. From what I've been reading lately it looks like Apple is getting into push mode, meaning they're done with their small incremental and minor updates and switching gears to push out the big stuff. Expected of Apple this year according to an article on :

If this is the case, I wonder what Google's own push will be this year. I'm predicting they're going to push Chromebooks into something a lot more capable than what they can currently do, but I'm even more curious what their "next big thing" for Android is going to be. I hope they have something good up their sleeve because a larger sized iPhone is going to hit the Android OEM's in one of their best advantages. And pushing Mobile devices into more powerful computer capable processing is definitely a huge leap.
    First of all, about the non-sense article you brought about Apple, each year it happens again that Apple spreads rumors about "big-changes" and "the end to minor updates", but it never happens. What apple actually does, and has been doing for the past 4 years, is wrap a minor update in a big box. No major update will come, though you can be sure it will have a lot of 'buzz' around it, and will be marked as a "break-through" by all the Apple Fan-Boys.

Now, about Google's plans.
    I think in future years, while Apple will 'finally' make its hesitating move into 4.7 inch territory, Android will already have successfully navigated through 5.2 inch land, and gone on to flexible screens. I also bet we will see some new battery capabilities, extending use to more than a couple of days.
    Now THAT would be a real break-through.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    Nibs likes this.
    tgp

Global Posts
    1,779 Global Posts

I believe that the Chromebook is big in Google's future. It's making great strides in the PC market. Microsoft is already crapping their pants over the Chromebook. Chrome OS keeps evolving with more offline features and more features period. Maybe Google will morph Chome OS into a full blown desktop OS with capabilities similar to Windows.

Hang on for the ride! It's going to be fun.
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foramex View Post
    First of all, about the non-sense article you brought about Apple, each year it happens again that Apple spreads rumors about "big-changes" and "the end to minor updates", but it never happens. What apple actually does, and has been doing for the past 4 years, is wrap a minor update in a big box. No major update will come, though you can be sure it will have a lot of 'buzz' around it, and will be marked as a "break-through" by all the Apple Fan-Boys.

Now, about Google's plans.
    I think in future years, while Apple will 'finally' make its hesitating move into 4.7 inch territory, Android will already have successfully navigated through 5.2 inch land, and gone on to flexible screens. I also bet we will see some new battery capabilities, extending use to more than a couple of days.
    Now THAT would be a real break-through.
    Ouch, now that's some real Apple hate going on there! For the record, the only Apple products currently in my house are owned by family members and I very rarely use them, so I hope you're not going to lump me into that fanboy category. But I do think you're wrong on both counts. The larger iPhone will be here before the end of the year, and besides Quartz there are a lot of other sources indicating that Apple is moving fairly quickly to push full computing power onto their mobile devices. If you pay a lot of attention to tech news, you'll know that story has been gaining more and more steam for the past year+ now. Not to toot my own horn here (ok maybe a little) but I made a prediction in 2010 on other tech websites that both Apple and Microsoft were going to enter an arms race to get tablets running well enough that you could completely replace a home PC / Mac with one in the next few years. I also predicted an end to dual OS's for each company once the hardware allows it, meaning iOS and MacOS will no longer exist as separate OS's, and the same for Windows and Windows RT and so far I think I'm pretty close on the first, and off by about a year too early on the second.
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Ouch, now that's some real Apple hate going on there! For the record, the only Apple products currently in my house are owned by family members and I very rarely use them, so I hope you're not going to lump me into that fanboy category. But I do think you're wrong on both counts. The larger iPhone will be here before the end of the year, and besides Quartz there are a lot of other sources indicating that Apple is moving fairly quickly to push full computing power onto their mobile devices. If you pay a lot of attention to tech news, you'll know that story has been gaining more and more steam for the past year+ now. Not to toot my own horn here (ok maybe a little) but I made a prediction in 2010 on other tech websites that both Apple and Microsoft were going to enter an arms race to get tablets running well enough that you could completely replace a home PC / Mac with one in the next few years. I also predicted an end to dual OS's for each company once the hardware allows it, meaning iOS and MacOS will no longer exist as separate OS's, and the same for Windows and Windows RT and so far I think I'm pretty close on the first, and off by about a year too early on the second.
    But that's exactly the point in which you are WRONG! You make a real effort to ignore the fact that a device that has full computing power is already out there, called the Galaxy NotePro 12.2.
    Define to me what do you mean by 'full computing power'. Does it mean the processors will be at the same speed? Achieved.
    Or does it mean Apple will do a big fancy event and declare they finally released a device with full computing power, with absolutely no facts behind it except for some nice PowerPoint that doesn't tell anything except for the usual '2x faster than previous gen'.
    There is already a device that's as good as a computer if not better called Samsung Galaxy NotePro 12.2, and all that's left for us is enjoy.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. The note pro does not run full x86 desktop PC applications. It doesn't run a x86 computer OS, it runs android which only runs android OS apps. Android cannot run x86 computer programs.

By the way, why the combativeness?
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing here. The note pro does not run full x86 desktop PC applications. It doesn't run a x86 computer OS, it runs android which only runs android OS apps. Android cannot run x86 computer programs.

By the way, why the combativeness?
    I don't see any combativeness, but I guess because I agree.

I don't think it matters to be as fast in term of raw performance, more to do with the software, ecosystem and how well it work overall. I think a better question to ask is does it matter for the device to run Windows or x86, I think no as long as the software is good. Surface tablet run x86, but its overpriced and not doing too good. Microsoft can come out with an x86 phone or tablet as powerful as they want, it's not going to get them more market share in the mobile sector. I think they could integrated their mobile OS more into server and enterprise business.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

I still don't think we're talking about the same thing so maybe I didn't word it well. What I'm referring to here is the ability to run full blown computer programs in a mobile OS. So far MS has attempted it by putting a x86 OS in relatively weak tablet form hardware (compared to bigger i7 machines). They're trying but not really there quite yet. Apple appears by reports to be attempting to make iOS powerful enough to do it.

As it stands right now, there are no tablets or mobile OS powerful enough to run heavy duty programs. Not apps, programs.

I did address it. The question is why? Why would I want to run Adobe Premiere or desktop version of Office on my tablet, or even desktop windows? Seems like a terrible idea. A better idea is have windows running on a server elsewhere and use TeamViewer or some type of remote desktop. A better idea is to make a software that does Adobe Premiere stuff, but with portable interface adapted for touch screen instead. It doesn't need to be as powerful as a Core i7 to do an okay job. Or just let x86 go.

There are some tablets that run full blown Windows, I had one myself, it's a terrible experience due to the interface not adapted for it. If the number of people buying Microsoft tablet same as iPad owners, then its a different story.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd like a Nexus Pro (if they chose to call it that), with a 6-inch screen. Also, I like what Samsung has done with its new "Magazine UI," and I think it'd be cool for Google to revamp the Nexus tablet UI for the release of the Nexus 10 (if it ever sees the light of day). I'd like to see some Chromebooks with full 1080p displays, too. And, I don't think asking for a Google Now watch is asking for too much. Those are just some things that I'd personally like to see from Google.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I did address it. The question is why? Why would I want to run Adobe Premiere or desktop version of Office on my tablet, or even desktop windows? Seems like a terrible idea. A better idea is have windows running on a server elsewhere and use TeamViewer or some type of remote desktop. A better idea is to make a software that does Adobe Premiere stuff, but with portable interface adapted for touch screen instead. It doesn't need to be as powerful as a Core i7 to do an okay job. Or just let x86 go.

There are some tablets that run full blown Windows, I had one myself, it's a terrible experience due to the interface not adapted for it. If the number of people buying Microsoft tablet same as iPad owners, then its a different story.
    Ya know, to this day, your profile picture still haunts me, lol.
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
    Orion78 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post

You're answering basically as a wireless solutions type of person. My answer to that is simply that even this many years into wireless, working on an actual machine itself is vastly quicker and more reliable for hardware and software intensive tasks.

Can you imagine trying to create and edit complex Photoshop graphics using Teamviewer or RDC using mobile data? I cringe at the thought. Latency? Being in a poor coverage area? Network congestion? Who do you think is going to make quicker advances? The carriers and their wireless networks or the vendors like Google, Apple, or MS? I guarantee you it sure as hell won't be the carriers. Complexity and capability of hardware and software advances exponentially faster than carriers do. Follow the money. There's not much of a market for the big 3 to make what amount to fancy remote clients, which is obviously why we're not seeing any of them going in that direction.

To ask why isn't relevant to the OP anyway. This is the direction they're moving. The real question is how and when.
    Last edited by xchange; 01-07-2014 at 09:06 PM.

I think they are going to expand into more areas, cars ( which we can see happening already, and into the living room with nexus tv/chromecast)

Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    Ya know, to this day, your profile picture still haunts me, lol.
    I tried to requesting mobilenations to change my user name to Max Johnson, but I didn't get any email back. I think they didn't take it seriously or on new year vacation.
    MERCDROID likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Delete

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

To turn you in to a cyborg.

It used to be cool to have nice tech around you, now they want to plaster it all over your body. The next stage is to implant it in to your brain so they can think for you as well.

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app
    Putting out fire with gasoline
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

I want google to push real hard on chromebook. To do that they should allow linux apps on chromebook(chromebook has linux kernel)

I am ok if they have controlled app submission to the app store. if they could manage that then chromebook could make microsoft pee on their pants
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    I want google to push real hard on chromebook. To do that they should allow linux apps on chromebook(chromebook has linux kernel)

I am ok if they have controlled app submission to the app store. if they could manage that then chromebook could make microsoft pee on their pants
    Most people think of the low-end Chromebooks when they hear that word, but seem to forget that they have the Chromebook Pixel. Maybe not as good as a MacBook Pro but better than the Air and a really good ultrabook overall
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Great news and really good information for me. Thanks for sharing......

Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    I'd like a Nexus Pro (if they chose to call it that), with a 6-inch screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, I been asking for something like this for the longest!
    MERCDROID likes this.

ROM
    Viper

I have said it before and i will say it many more times. It makes me sad to see the trend toward less powerful, glorified toys such as smartphones, tablets, and chromebooks. There will come a day when the general public knows nothing about computers again i suppose. No more self build pcs. No more gaming, editing, or compiling rigs. Just low power toys running stripped down apps or remotely controlling a server client.

One interesting point was made though: What about servers running heavy programs and remoting to a tablet? Colleges do similar things already with laptops. This means that no one will own the right for local software clients anymore. Everything will be subscription based. You pay by the month of year indefinitely instead of one time fees like most software now. Many may like this model, i personally like one time fees and not being reliant on some else's server to be running properly and a solid internet connect. Both are habitually problematic and force the end user to be reliant on the provider for EVERY little problem.

This is the future. It is not one i am too excited for.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Chromebooks have definitely been getting a good push and this trend should continue in the coming year(s). I'll be interested in seeing Google's own push into the Wearable scene with new products and hopefully public release of Google Glass.
    I believe Google Glass will make huge changes to how we use devices because once you freed the monkey's hands from crawling the human race was born with tool use. If they do accomplish full hands free use with just voice and eye gestures paired with hardware able to keep up. Well with enough imagination you can easily see there are tons of possibilities.
    Last edited by zedorda; 01-09-2014 at 11:36 AM.