Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paisley99
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Honestly I don't rust any company anymore. I love android, hence my frequent usage of this site and on Googleplex (formerly Android Army) on TheVerge. But, between the growing NSA concerns and Google shoving Google plus down everyone throats and their already invasive ways of getting into everything, privacy no longer exists.

I am honestly now thinking of dropping android completely deleting all my online accounts. I don't have anything to hide believe me, I'm just a college student. It's just the fact that so much of me is just a search away is crazy. Stuff I signed up for once years ago is easily searchable and impossible to get rid of.

But, for now I must persevere and continue to use my Moto X. I'll just be vvveeerrryy careful about what I sign up for and what accounts I have and how much info I give these accounts. That's really all I can do. The internet: I grew up wanting to be on it and now I want to limit my presence on it, crazy right?

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

Global Posts
    21,663 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Some honesty

Here is how I look at it. Nothing on the net is private anymore. Facebook, Twitter, G+, anything you search for on the net is recorded in some fashion. Yes, incognito tabs can help, but I don't believe them to be totally private. My idea of privacy on the net is to not use it.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Not to mention even if you erase things one they are cached by search engines they exist forever.

Welcome to the future

Sent from my awesome HTC One
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Try to set Google account, Google + account, And Other Social Network accounts and privacy setting also sharing setting. Clear your History, Chased memory every 3 to 4 days. Set you password strong with A,b,@, #,1 word, number, binary combination and change after 2 or 3 months. And it is best to use Device Default browser. Not other browser.

One thing if you don't run an apps for 3 months it will disappear automatically. And browse net without sign in.

If you don't like to share info keep first name, last name virtual. Don't mind.

Try to set Google account, Google + account, And Other Social Network accounts and privacy setting also sharing setting. Clear your History, Chased memory every 3 to 4 days. Set you password strong with A,b,@, #,1 word, number, binary combination and change after 2 or 3 months. And it is best to use Device Default browser. Not other browser.

One thing if you don't run an apps for 3 months it will disappear automatically. And browse net without sign in.

If you don't like to share info keep first name, last name virtual. Don't mind.

Well, too bad you have a Moto X because it really doesn't have any custom rom for it right now, but it is a Cyanogenmod supported device now. Atleast in time you can install AOSP and avoid Google services. If you had a Nexus, you can use MultiRom bootloader to install any compatible ARM Linux OS to it, not just Android.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronDeVante View Post
    Honestly I don't rust any company anymore. I love android, hence my frequent usage of this site and on Googleplex (formerly Android Army) on TheVerge. But, between the growing NSA concerns and Google shoving Google plus down everyone throats and their already invasive ways of getting into everything, privacy no longer exists.

I am honestly now thinking of dropping android completely deleting all my online accounts. I don't have anything to hide believe me, I'm just a college student. It's just the fact that so much of me is just a search away is crazy. Stuff I signed up for once years ago is easily searchable and impossible to get rid of.

But, for now I must persevere and continue to use my Moto X. I'll just be vvveeerrryy careful about what I sign up for and what accounts I have and how much info I give these accounts. That's really all I can do. The internet: I grew up wanting to be on it and now I want to limit my presence on it, crazy right?

A friend of mine had a similar issue of past info put online and it was quite unhelpful when a guy she met decided he would stalk her. And not sure how it's gonna work out for younger generations when jobs google them and note all their political opinions from comments they wrote on youtube. DOH. It's good to be wary in terms of privacy and you're right to not trust companies, even if they're cool companies who make cool stuff, they're corporations whose bottom line is $. The G+ dragnet thing was when my like of Google started to wane and then a couple other things, and i'm kinda bummed about it.

Deleting online accounts is a good idea, delete all of them for now, even all the tiny itty bitty ones. And exactly what you said about *how much you give out*, always fill out the minimum of everything, and most of even that should be fake anyway. Actually, all of it should be, until they need to mail a check to your house. lol.

I care for *some* privacy but am still on FB, just in a more limited way then other people I know, and now barely at all since they moved to sharing with everyone even every like button you push. Some people want their internet identity to represent them, so they put evvverything on there, under their full and real names and G+ and publish that s--t, and...wow, especially the generation right above yours and down, but some people don't, and no, that's not crazy, it's just someone who's a more private person and doesn't want their whole life to enter a room before *they* do. What's sad to me is that now generations are quite happy with "privacy is dead" so it kinda screws everyone, you'll notice how push-back of privacy issues are met with hostility by defenders of corporations, so companies have very little satisfying to do to customers in terms of privacy because people are happy to say "nope, doesn't matter anymore, all gone anyway, (and if you don't like all of it you're paranoid"). lol. (Man, last year i actually read liberal webforums (not saying i'm not or i am) actually defend all things nsa in order to bash snowden when the snowden drama was a problem for the president. lol. i was like: wha???).

I'll never know what total "privacy" is like cuz i've been catalog shopping since i was like 13 years old, lol, I get mag subs mailed to me based on all my data, etc, which i can live with no prob, even though it's annoying cuz i have to then cancel them, but i like to online shop, so.. ...but i'm still in for *some* privacy, usually stuff personal in nature, which is why i don't have the issue my friend just did when someone decided to get to know her and her family very well by googling her, and my friends don't get pop ups when they're on a website, saying that i like that site too, nor i theirs. I just try to pick and choose here and there for things that i know cross my line. But you're young, you can still have limited web presence, and you can limit some of your information given to google and other places, and even go off the grid if you wanted. At least for now, cuz clearly it's time time for a little cleaning.

Never trust corporations. And man, stupid u.s. soamzingsogreat healthcare plan signup actually gave my phone number to a life insurance company and rite aid. w.t.f. My phone number was the one thing that a bunch of companies didn't have. And that healthcare s--t was sorta mandatory so i figured i'd better make my life easy and apply for my exemption before they get on my case, lol, i can't believe i actually put my number in there. Dumb, i just wasn't thinking straight, i figured, oh, gov't, and health, must be confidential. lol. DOH. So yeah, being invisible is close to impossible, but it's not all or nothing. You'll find some good work arounds for android I'm sure. I feel like a facebook phone would be less intrusive. lol.
    Last edited by paisley99; 01-12-2014 at 02:19 AM.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Well, too bad you have a Moto X because it really doesn't have any custom rom for it right now, but it is a Cyanogenmod supported device now. Atleast in time you can install AOSP and avoid Google services. If you had a Nexus, you can use MultiRom bootloader to install any compatible ARM Linux OS to it, not just Android.
    I would never root anyways. I don't want to void my warranty or mess something up.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Here is how I look at it. Nothing on the net is private anymore. Facebook, Twitter, G+, anything you search for on the net is recorded in some fashion. Yes, incognito tabs can help, but I don't believe them to be totally private. My idea of privacy on the net is to not use it.
    I don't think its not to use it but, to use it and not sign up for every little website or account companies throw at you.

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts

I use multiple email accounts for different social networking sites. My Facebook is associated with an email account that is not used for my LinkedIn (as an example). But I think we will see privacy issues more and more. I don't think it's an Android exclusive thing either. Google is just better at it than most...But they will follow Google footsteps.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    I use multiple email accounts for different social networking sites. My Facebook is associated with an email account that is not used for my LinkedIn (as an example). But I think we will see privacy issues more and more. I don't think it's an Android exclusive thing either. Google is just better at it than most...But they will follow Google footsteps.

Its that fact its hard to use an android device and not use Google itself. Google in a sense has become android. What's really getting on my nerves though is this google plus thing. I like having the services separate because it was a lot harder for anyone to keep track of what you were doing online. One account for YouTube, another for gmail. Now they want to unify everything under Google Plus, which in my opinion sucks. I had to deactivate my google plus account.

Last edited by AaronDeVante; 01-12-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts

Its that fact its hard to use an android device and not use Google itself. Google in a sense has become android. What's really getting on my nerves though is this google plus thing. I like having the services separate because it was a lot harder for anyone to keep track of what you were doing online. One account for YouTube, another for gmail. Now they want to unify everything under Google Plus, which in my opinion sucks. I had to deactivate my google plus account.

Agreed. But I guess it's the hidden cost of using a "free" OS. I try to minimize the number of Android apps on my device. I like native BB10 apps because I can turn on and off individual permission settings for each app, while the Android apps is such that I have to accept all or nothing. Very annoying. An app developer can access my location, but why do you need my device PIN? Tnx but no tnx.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    Agreed. But I guess it's the hidden cost of using a "free" OS. I try to minimize the number of Android apps on my device. I like native BB10 apps because I can turn on and off individual permission settings for each app, while the Android apps is such that I have to accept all or nothing. Very annoying. An app developer can access my location, but why do you need my device PIN? Tnx but no tnx.

That's what concerns me as well. Android is the only operating system where permissions are all or nothing. You can't control what permissions an apps had like BlackBerry or iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    And not sure how it's gonna work out for younger generations when jobs google them and note all their political opinions from comments they wrote on youtube. DOH.
    Jobs? Try college applications. Schools already check out prospective students on the internet and use that information as part of their decisions as to whether or not to admit them.

That's right. Idiotic comments on twitter are starting to keep kids out of some schools.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Jobs? Try college applications. Schools already check out prospective students on the internet and use that information as part of their decisions as to whether or not to admit them.

That's right. Idiotic comments on twitter are starting to keep kids out of some schools.
    I knew jobs would be affected but school eligibility? That's crazy!

I knew jobs would be affected but school eligibility? That's crazy!

Yeah, it does. I have to be SO careful about what I post on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Even if I am good enough to get into, Harvard, for example, and I post an idiotic comment on Twitter, I won't be accepted. I hate this world, lol.