Droid 2 to be discontinued?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Surprise? Depends on the pricing structure.

If the world droid is priced higher, then yes, it would surprise me. Not everyone wants or will ever need a world phone.

If the price for the world droid is the same as the current droid 2, than no it does not surprise me.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Assuming it is like the Blackberries the international calling features will be optional and it is highly unlikely that there will be any difference in price. The Tour/Bold with and without camera for example are the same price. Unless there are further enhancements and a higher price point then the D2 as it exists now will be redundant.

Last edited:

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The Tour without a camera has the exact same electronics, there is no cheap (and I mean cheap) lens installed, and when these non-camera models were manufactured (no longer manufactured), it was overall as expensive to produce as those with a camera. Just leaving out the cheap camera lens meant nothing but aggravation to the manufacturing process. The wiring was included in both the non-camera and the camera model.

The Tour/Bold prices were marketing decisions. If you are talking the 9000 and 9700 Bolds those were only GSM products. The Tour (9630) was only CDMA with GSM capabilities (including a SIM card), and the newer 9650 is just a Tour, renamed the Bold with more memory/different processor and a different type of trackball; otherwise, it is a Tour. The price differences between the original Tour and the ORIGINAL Bolds (not the 9650) were probably more marketing pricing decisions to keep the same type of phones the same prices between different suppliers. It does not mean they cost the same to manufacture. And it does not mean that if BB and Verizon had marketed two different Tours, one with CDMA only and one with CDMA/GSM the prices would have been the same.

However, will Moto install the dual chips into both models and just leave out the SIM cards? If so, then the price will be almost the same.

All I'm trying to say, since I do not know everything like others do, is that if the dual mode droid costs more to the consumer, then dropping the less expensive droid 2 will be foolish. If they include the same electronics inside the two models and only leave out some programming and the SIM cards, then the price might be almost the same, and cheaper to make only one version.

For my personal application, I do not want to pay more for a GSM capable model on a Verizon network. If and when I go out of the country, I currently have a Tour, supplied by Uncle Sam, which will have the GSM capability required. Of course, with my job a trip overseas is about a million to one, so the GSM part of the Tour will never be used.

But let's face it. No one on here knows for sure what the pricing structure will be (even if they like to think they do), no one knows what internals will be included (even though they think they do), and no one knows for sure if the Droid 2 will even be dropped (like the article implies).

I just posted an article. I'm just a FLEO; not an electronics expert, and I do not sleep in Holiday Inns.

Enough said from me; I'm moving on to more pertinent information for my own personal use since I would never have purchased a Droid 2. I just thought the article was interesting.

Last edited:

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
A world phone with the proper tweaking means that you can use it with Verizon and with the appropriate SIM card use it with a US based GSM carrier. Just like what bunches did with the TP2.

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So does this mean that by the end of this year I could port a WE onto the AT&T network? Because the Droid 2 is really the Droid I'd like to start on but with AT&T don't really have that option as of yet.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't a big fan of my Droid 2 since it only lasted me two weeks, but if I do move overseas in two years, I'm glad to know that Android is at least considering making international phones. I'll want one.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So does this mean that by the end of this year I could port a WE onto the AT&T network? Because the Droid 2 is really the Droid I'd like to start on but with AT&T don't really have that option as of yet.

Theoretically you could buy the phone full retail, get the SIM unlocked and put your AT&T SIM card in it yes, but be aware that it will only have European 3G bands which means EDGE only in the US.

My advice if you want to go to AT&T I would get either the Aria or the Captivate. Both are solid phones other than the no side loading apps thing, and if you are tech savvy enough you can find a way around that.

breakmedown

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Theoretically you could buy the phone full retail, get the SIM unlocked and put your AT&T SIM card in it yes, but be aware that it will only have European 3G bands which means EDGE only in the US.

My advice if you want to go to AT&T I would get either the Aria or the Captivate. Both are solid phones other than the no side loading apps thing, and if you are tech savvy enough you can find a way around that.

I'm not gonna commit to a full touch screen device until after I've used a hybrid for awhile and learned how to effectively use a touchscreen keyboard. So a slider is what I'd like. Or else I probably would have the Captivate already.

travelingfool

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

If it is like the Blackberry 9630/9650 and uses a SIM card, you would be limited to Edge speeds on ATT. The VZW Tour/Bold cannot do 3G GSM.

RETG said:
The Tour (9630) was only CDMA with GSM capabilities (including a SIM card), and the newer 9650 is just a Tour, renamed the Bold...

The VZW Blackberry 8830 WE predated the Tour, and was also a world phone that did CDMA/GSM.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site